By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jasper power usage: 100w, 60w less than Falcon! RROD/Noise eliminated.

drkohler said:
Squilliam said:

112.4 volt
1.52 amps
101 watts

xbox 360 20 gig

112.4 volt
2.40 amps
160 watts

ok, I'll bite...

if you sit on a 112.4V powerline and your gadget shows a current of 1.52A (2.40A), then your cosole sucks 112.4V*1.52A (*2.4A) = 170 Watt (270 Watt). Where do you get 101 (160) Watt from?

I assume he just read what the device told him. Remember with AC current/voltage/power there are multiple different ways of reading the same value, RMS, average, 0-peak, peak-peak, it's concievable that the device showed one of these values. P=IV only works with RMS.

Although US power supply is 110v RMS, so likely the voltage is in RMS, can't see why it would show anything else.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
crumas2 said:

The jasper units will almost certainly use less power than falcon units. Reduced process-size GPUs/CPUs always use less power (usually dramatically less) than their predecessors , and the jasper GPU is a reduced-process-size chip.

I'm surprised that anyone commenting on the OP would even question this.

EDIT: Less power consumed also means less heat, which will almost certainly reduce the failure rate.  The big question is how much less heat and the resulting failure rate reduction.

They've halved the power usage of the original console. Same fans, similar heatsinks so it can be assumed that given the quieter running that the heat levels inside would have dropped considerably. Since they have also been doing motherboard revisions - combined with the heat reductions until proved otherwise I don't think theres any reason to believe a Jasper unit has any more inherrant unreliability than a PS3.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

They've halved the power usage of the original console. Same fans, similar heatsinks so it can be assumed that given the quieter running that the heat levels inside would have dropped considerably. Since they have also been doing motherboard revisions - combined with the heat reductions until proved otherwise I don't think theres any reason to believe a Jasper unit has any more inherrant unreliability than a PS3.

Agreed.  That, too, is my guess.  However, I try not to enumerate my barnyard fowls before they're incubated.