By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create 2/5 - 2/11

01. (PS3, Sega) Virtua Fighter 5 - 48,346 / NEW 02. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 45,897 / 1,004,555 03. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Play - 36,090 / 879,432 04. (NDS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 32,800 / 3,963,712 05. (NDS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 29,026 / 4,118,078 06. (PS2, Capcom) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 27,519 / 304,113 07. (NDS, Nintendo) Wario: Master of Disguise - 26,815 / 185,695 08. (NDS, Marvelous Interactive) Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On - 26,804 / 106,212 09. (NDS, Marvelous Interactive) Luminous Arc - 25,676 / NEW 10. (PS2, Sega) J-League Pro Soccer 5 - 24,468 / 131,541 11. (NDS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World 12. (NDS, Nintendo) Picross DS 13. (NDS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training 14. (NDS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS 15. (NDS, Nintendo) Brain Age 16. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokémon Diamond 17. (NDS, Nintendo) English Training 18. (NDS, IE Institute) Kanji Brain Test 2M 19. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokémon Pearl 20. (NDS, Sega) Sangokushi Taisen DS 21. (NDS, Sega) Love+Berry 22. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable 23. (NDS, Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 24. (NDS, Nintendo) Hotel Dusk: Room 215 25. (NDS, Rocket Co.) Kanji Test 26. (NDS, Bandai-Namco) Heisei Board of Education DS 27. (WII, Nintendo) Wario Ware Smooth Moves 28. (NDS, Nintendo) 1000 Recipes 29. (NDS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeek Squad 30. (NDS, Sega) Puyo-Puyo! PS2 - 2 PSP - 1 PS3 - 1 NDS - 23 WII - 3

Around the Network

Jeez 26 out of 30 for Nintendo overall and 23 of those were DS titles. Crazy.

DSL: 201,177 -> 15,109,831 (DS: 6,582,919 + DSL: 8,526,912) Wii: 78,550 -> 1,523,121 PSP: 32,175 -> 4,835,248 PS3: 23,431 -> 636,292 PS2: 16,033 360: 4,811 -> 317,320 GBASP: 980 GBM: 884 GC: 383 DS: 121 GBA: 36

At the rate the DS is selling its going to over take the PS2 later this year in Japan. I find that unbelievable. I mean the PS2 was beyond dominate in Japan for the last 6+ years and for the DS to over take it in less than 3 years just doesn't seem possible.

Darc Requiem said: At the rate the DS is selling its going to over take the PS2 later this year in Japan. I find that unbelievable. I mean the PS2 was beyond dominate in Japan for the last 6+ years and for the DS to over take it in less than 3 years just doesn't seem possible.
Do you think they can sell another 8 Mio systems this year? The 2006 holidays were weaker for the DS than the 2005 holidays. Nintendo needs some more megahits with the caliber of Brain Training and Animal Crossing. Maybe they think it's time to let 3rd parties have a go on the DS and concentrate on Wii innovation? Would sure love to see that. The DS is banked to cross the 20 Mio bar of ubiquitousness in Japan this year either way, so Nintendo can play it a little safer. What I would still expect to see from Nintendo on the DS is some meaningful interaction with the Wii. This could be ten times better then the failed GC-GBA connection (because it's wireless and both devices are more powerful) and really give some extra fun.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

reverie said: Darc Requiem said: At the rate the DS is selling its going to over take the PS2 later this year in Japan. I find that unbelievable. I mean the PS2 was beyond dominate in Japan for the last 6+ years and for the DS to over take it in less than 3 years just doesn't seem possible. Do you think they can sell another 8 Mio systems this year? The 2006 holidays were weaker for the DS than the 2005 holidays. Nintendo needs some more megahits with the caliber of Brain Training and Animal Crossing. Maybe they think it's time to let 3rd parties have a go on the DS and concentrate on Wii innovation? Would sure love to see that. The DS is banked to cross the 20 Mio bar of ubiquitousness in Japan this year either way, so Nintendo can play it a little safer. What I would still expect to see from Nintendo on the DS is some meaningful interaction with the Wii. This could be ten times better then the failed GC-GBA connection (because it's wireless and both devices are more powerful) and really give some extra fun.
You do realize that Dragon's Quest 9 hits the DS this year right?

Bold fanboy prediction (as I posted on NeoGaf): The 360 will hit 500k units sold yearly - either by Media Create or VGcharts.org. Everyone at NeoGaf thinks I am insane (and I am). There's an equal chance that it'll only hit around 300k or so (and beat out Xbox's LTD sales in just over 2 years). However, here are my reasonings: Before the core launched, we saw typical sales on 2k units or less (down to 1.3k). The core launched @ 4k units, and has seen anywhere from that 4k to 35k. I believe the core will help the 360 stay above the 1.3k-2k units sold at its worst points this year, and go down to no less than 3k during truely dead periods (IMO, 4811 units on such a crappy week vs. 2k the same time last year is a testament to what it's been doing). Better product lineup vs. last year. We have Lost Odyssey, Virtua Fighter 5 (maybe?), Cry On (?), Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, and a few other strong games coming this year. I feel that this lineup will help since it's not for the Z-crowd, and most of these titles will launch during 360s horrible period last year. It'll be difficult if not impossible to do better than what BD did for the 360 last year, but LO should really help the system get a large spike for 2-3 weeks, then simmer down slowly, ala what has happened in January. And at some point, when the 360 continues to grow it's library of J-Centric games, more people will opt for it versus a PS3 due to price. I doubt that it'll take many people away from the huge PS namebrand, but it'll be enough to allow the 360 to hit, or nearly hit 500k units this year in Japan.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Virtua Fighter didn't sell so much, I think even Dead or alive 4 beat it with less systems sold. PS3 needs something BIG to compete with Wii on Japan. Wii is going to have a mega boost when Mario and such games are released, and then PS3 is in trouble... I can't see X360 selling 500k in 1year on Japan. It would make about 10k units sold every week, and thats just not gonna happen.

I don't bother listing my last-gen games (PS2, Xbox, GC) to my collection cause there's too many of them. ;)

Saddler said: Virtua Fighter didn't sell so much, I think even Dead or alive 4 beat it with less systems sold. PS3 needs something BIG to compete with Wii on Japan. Wii is going to have a mega boost when Mario and such games are released, and then PS3 is in trouble... I can't see X360 selling 500k in 1year on Japan. It would make about 10k units sold every week, and thats just not gonna happen.
'Tis a scary thing when you think of it - The 360 had far less than 1/2 the systems sold (around 100k?) and ended up selling 110k units. Again, I stated either MC or VGCharts (which is about 10% higher than MC) would get it at 500k. Is it likely? No, and Im not trying to say that I'd be suprised if it didn't get that high....My brain says 350k but my gut says 500k.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Why are the numbers on the frontpage different from the ones in this thread?