By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deveopers talk about used games countermeasure.

How very cliched of them to use a picture of a padlock

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

Yeah... the day this happens is the day I stop gaming. What if I want to take my game to a friend's place? I have to cart my whole system along with me, and set it up when theirs is ready to go? No thank you.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Sell games with 500 free MS points, then yeah I would probably buy a new over used... maybe...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Why don't the developers and publishers band together to lobby congress for updates to the copyright acts? Instead of stupid technology, they should be looking for general legislation that stops companies selling used games "for profit" if the developer's/publisher's license agreement states so. We as consumers are actually "licensing" the use of the intellectual property. We do not own it. The media we buy is simply a vehicle to carry it. If They simply modified their license agreements (and copyright acts supported it), Gamestop and every other used game vendor will have to stop selling used immediately. I don't see what the big deal here is and why they don't go forward with something like this. It IS intellectual property and if it is being resold for a profit (as all used games dealers are doing), it is technically theft. The company is selling other people's intellectual property for their gain. Again, I don't see the problem in forcing modification/clarification of existing legislation.

Now, that said, I would still support end users trading, using ebay, etc., as long as it was not "for profit". That would eliminate 70-80% of the second hand market. It would also not require any kind of additional DRM or other draconian measures and would allow people to take their games to a friend's house to play and so on.

They will need to bring the price down, though. I think I've bought a handful of games in my lifetime that, in my opinion, justified the $60 layout.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
Why don't the developers and publishers band together to lobby congress for updates to the copyright acts? Instead of stupid technology, they should be looking for general legislation that stops companies selling used games "for profit" if the developer's/publisher's license agreement states so. We as consumers are actually "licensing" the use of the intellectual property. We do not own it. The media we buy is simply a vehicle to carry it. If They simply modified their license agreements (and copyright acts supported it), Gamestop and every other used game vendor will have to stop selling used immediately. I don't see what the big deal here is and why they don't go forward with something like this. It IS intellectual property and if it is being resold for a profit (as all used games dealers are doing), it is technically theft. The company is selling other people's intellectual property for their gain. Again, I don't see the problem in forcing modification/clarification of existing legislation.

Now, that said, I would still support end users trading, using ebay, etc., as long as it was not "for profit". That would eliminate 70-80% of the second hand market. It would also not require any kind of additional DRM or other draconian measures and would allow people to take their games to a friend's house to play and so on.

They will need to bring the price down, though. I think I've bought a handful of games in my lifetime that, in my opinion, justified the $60 layout.

Why do you, a consumer, support screwing over consumers?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
kn said:

Why do you, a consumer, support screwing over consumers?

Removing used games sales woudn't screw over the customer....

Do you really think game publisher don't factor it in the price of the game ????

Those that would be screwed are shops like Gamestop that make a fortune reselling those used games...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Adding single use activations for software will just result in additional piracy. Stop punishing legitimate consumers - the more they take away rights to the property of the legitimate consumer, the more rewarding the piracy experience for those that choose that route.

I already download hacked versions of every PC game I buy or find no-DVD cracks if available because there's no way in hell I'm going to keep swapping my retail discs when the game is fully installed on the hard drive.

Developers that resort to the kind of methods described in the article won't see a dime from me.

kn said:

The problem is a little something called the First-sale doctrine, the very short version of which is that once the physical piece of media is sold to a person, the person is free to do with it as they damn well please.  The copyright owner loses all right to change of ownership of that copy of the copyrighted work at sale.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Is swearing allowed on this forum because I really feel like it right now.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

Some quick thoughts.

1. It sounds like they are addressing more PC than console in the article. This is inferred from the opening comments rather than anything said in the piece.

2. This problem has been around literally for decades. The original SimCity used to require a code be entered -- from a sheet that was distributed with the game that could not be photocopied. The original Gauntlet could only be installed once (HD crashes, SOL).

3. Sony supposedly has technology to lock a game to a particular console. Rumors were they were going to put it in the PS3. Gamestop supposedly was NOT goint to sell the PS3 if that had occured.

4. This would also put the game rental businesses out of business if it were applied to consoles. Think, who has more money -- small development house or Blockbuster? (And since the rental places buy a lot of titles).

5. What this is leading to is increased digitial distribution. If you can only download it from a source, you can't really sell it used.

Mike from Morgantown

Who thinks a lot of this is very Shakeperian ... full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV