By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Deveopers talk about used games countermeasure.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/08/05/developers-considering-used-game-counter-measures

"

Piracy has been a constant nagging issue for many developers. The growing complexities of PC gaming and heavy piracy have combined to produce the sentiment that the platform is dying. A new development in the way companies approach the platform, though, straddles the line between an acceptable stop-gap measure and a punishment for legitimate users: developers are beginning to consider doing away with the ability of gamers to resell their games. 

Destructoid picked up on an interview from LostWinds developer David Braben, who spoke recently with DevelopMag. Braben suggested that "struggling developers" do away with the ability of gamers to resell the games they buy by making every game activated by a "one-use" key or some other kind of single-use feature.

"[An] option would be to offer extras—or even part of the game itself—packaged in with the game as a unique code on a scratch-card," said Braben. "If you do this, then those extras could only be obtained once." Braben's suggestions are not meant to eliminate the pre-owned games market entirely, but rather to make it less attractive.

We already see this technique at work in some games; the Game of the Year edition of Call of Duty 4, for example, includes a single-use voucher for an extra $10 map pack, which makes it a more attractive purchase than buying the used game, especially considering its budget price. Braben's thoughts are interesting, but one has to wonder if this isn't simply another sign of a future dominated by one-use, activation-based software."

Around the Network

The inherent problem with software piracy countermeasures, I think, is that while the pirates will just find ways to strip out such cumbersome controls, the legitimate users are the ones left who have to put up with it. The end result is that they end up punishing the people who pay for the software for the actions of those who don't.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Kenny said:
The inherent problem with software piracy countermeasures, I think, is that while the pirates will just find ways to strip out such cumbersome controls, the legitimate users are the ones left who have to put up with it. The end result is that they end up punishing the people who pay for the software for the actions of those who don't.

totally agree with that.... and I have a god damn solution to there problem..... everything free and finance the dev by ingame advertising..... they do it anyway, now make it in a smart way like google does.... and with live capabilities, those solution are endless, you can reach custom advertising quite easily now.... I'm not saying it's easy to do, but it's worth trying and it is more and more doable with the technology in hand today

I think that what David Braben is actually describing is a Zero use system, as I know I'm not going to buy any games with such a limitation.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I don't have a problem with so long as its not intrusive, it keeps more money in the hands of developers so they can make more awesome games and less money in the hands of Game etc that sell/resell used games all the time.

Its good to give people an incentive to buy the games new rather than 2nd hand anyway.

Tease.

Around the Network

So, let me get this straight: instead of going after the real problem (piracy), developers want to go after users buying games via a perfectly legitimate and legal means.

Seems like a winning proposition to me...

Also, what Stof said. I already won't pay more than $10 for a DLC game, due to the fact that if I hate it, I won't be able to resell it. The secondary market is a stop-gap on lazy developers who put out unfinished, buggy, or just plain bad games, and I want to see it remain that way.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Publishers are gradually inserting the finger to see how far they can go.

I have stopped buying games with excessive DRM a long time ago. It's not like these measures are even defective. The pirates often end up with higher quality software.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

lol so true.... opensource, freeware and the end of corporate america is the future of the entertainment industry.... you can't fight the underground, or it will eat you up from the inside out lol :P

no but seriously.... the problem is not piracy, they just don't want to change their business model and want to keep doing unjustified cash with 80% crap released 10% average 5% rather good and the rest AAA.. that goes across the board for every entertainment.... from movies to music to tv shows to video games....

Aw man, where did I put that manual. Oh there it is. Now what is the fourth word on the 23rd line of page 17... capture. Great.

Anyone here old enough to remember those days? God I hope that's not where we are headed again...

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

If they are going to take away my ability to trade in a game or lend it to a friend when I am done with it, they had better charge less for it. You know they will not do that though.

Give consumers a choice: $60 retail that you can sell/trade when done, or $45 download licensed just to you.