By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opera on Wii no longer FREE.

Just for comparison, just found out my PSP supports Flash Player 6.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Around the Network
z64dan said:
http://www.populartechnology.net/2006/01/opera-is-faster-more-secure-and-more.html

Opera is more secure than firefox, and thats what Nintendo was looking for.

tbh, that link isn't particularly useful, as it talks about opera 9 and firefox 1.5, when we're actually on opera 10, and firefox 2.0.

Step by step comparison between the Wii and PS3 web browser

http://www.games-digest.com/2007/04/is_wii_or_the_p.html

Wii is considered better over all

I don't think i've used the web browser even once when i've needed to.. but some family members have..

Laptop is always more convinient than any TV internet device ever was

In reference to Opera being faster etc. have a look at this:
http://www.apple.com/uk/safari/

Although it's presumably biased towards the Safari browser (as it was done on an iMac running Windows XP), it's likely to be unbiased about FF and Opera.

As you can, the only time that Opera is markedly better is with JavaScript Performance, and even then it's less than a second's difference, and on HTML performance, FF is nearly 3 seconds faster (half the time). I'm sorry, but I've tried all 4 of those broswers, and there isn't much difference, but IE 7 is definately slower, and I would say Opera adn FF are about equal on processing power and load times. Also I would say running them on this PC is about equal to the Wii, as the one I use for Internet Browsing has an 800mhz PIII, 256mb of RAM and 32mb nVidia TNT2, which I presume is fairly close to the Wii's specs.

Around the Network
Tispower said:

Although it's presumably biased towards the Safari browser (as it was done on an iMac running Windows XP), it's likely to be unbiased about FF and Opera.

As you can, the only time that Opera is markedly better is with JavaScript Performance, and even then it's less than a second's difference, and on HTML performance, FF is nearly 3 seconds faster (half the time). I'm sorry, but I've tried all 4 of those broswers, and there isn't much difference, but IE 7 is definately slower, and I would say Opera adn FF are about equal on processing power and load times. Also I would say running them on this PC is about equal to the Wii, as the one I use for Internet Browsing has an 800mhz PIII, 256mb of RAM and 32mb nVidia TNT2, which I presume is fairly close to the Wii's specs.

To be honest that link isn't usefull either. It compares firefox2 with opera 9, while we are on opera 10. Strange that you pointed out almost this exact point before, but did it yourself.

It was interesting that Opera9 was better than firefox 2 though.

The thing you didn't take into account is that Opera work in a very user specific matter, they design their browser according to the device. While you have used the browser that is available online for PCs, the Opera browser for Wii was obviously tweaked, just like their browser for mobile phones are.

I have to admit now, I am too used to firefox and thunderbird to switch.

BlindSight said:
Should be a one time fee of 500 points.
I was under the impression that the Browser was going to cost you 500 points regardless of whether you've downloaded it already or not. That Nintendo would somehow make the "trial" version inactive so that you needed to pay the 500 points to get the final version, but maybe they nixed that plan with already releasing a final version.

The plan since the beginning was that the final version would be free for a period of time.  They didn't nix any plans.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

mrstickball said:
Nintendo is learning what MS has already known. The intenet and its various components aren't free.

Opera one day, multiplayer the next.

Opera was always going to be something they did a one time charge for, and multiplayer was always ment to be free.  The plans for neither have changed, so I don't quite follow your logic

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

gorgepir said:
Tispower said:

To be honest that link isn't usefull either. It compares firefox2 with opera 9, while we are on opera 10. Strange that you pointed out almost this exact point before, but did it yourself.

It was interesting that Opera9 was better than firefox 2 though.

The thing you didn't take into account is that Opera work in a very user specific matter, they design their browser according to the device. While you have used the browser that is available online for PCs, the Opera browser for Wii was obviously tweaked, just like their browser for mobile phones are.

I have to admit now, I am too used to firefox and thunderbird to switch.

opps, didn't notice that was opera 9, well that post isn't much good then

Tispower said:
Also I would say running them on this PC is about equal to the Wii, as the one I use for Internet Browsing has an 800mhz PIII, 256mb of RAM and 32mb nVidia TNT2, which I presume is fairly close to the Wii's specs.

Except the Wii has 24+64MiB RAM, and memory can be far more important than CPU speed for browsing.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.