By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Nintendo has "ruined" gaming

So is it the troth ore isnt it? :)

Around the Network

Who are you trying to convince with this? Did you just feel like writing a nice little essay, or did you actually think you would change the mind of some detractors? Or did you just want some high fives from other Nintendo fans?

No, I really am curious why people bother writing things like this.

HappySqurriel said:

Here is how I would describe how Nintendo "ruined" gaming in this generation ...

The previous generation is a lot like having 3 satelite radio providers, Sony who had 10 radio stations (4 pop stations, 3 rock stations, and 3 rap stations), Microsoft who had 6 radio stations (2 pop stations, 2 rock stations, and 2 rap stations), and Nintendo who had 5 radio stations (3 pop stations, 1 rock station, and 1 rap station).

In this generation Sony and Microsoft focused on increasing the quality of their hardware and broadcasts, but the increased bandwith meant that they could not support as many stations and increased the cost of their hardware; and both systems ended up with most of the same stations, and their exclusive stations are in the same genre and are similar quality to eachother.

Nintendo went in a different direction ... They noticed that some people were not being well serviced by satelite radio and started offering Classical, Classic Rock, Older Pop, Country, talk radio, and easy listening. Their hardware didn't improve much, and their sound quality didn't improve much, but this meant that the hardware and service costs were fairly low to the consumer.

Overall the market now looks like Sony is offering 6 stations (2 pop stations, 2 rock stations, and 2 rap stations) and Nintendo is offering 10 stations (1 Classical, 1 Classic Rock, 1 Older Pop, 1 Country,1 easy Listening, 2 pop, 1 rock, 1 rap, and 1 talk radio). To a lot of the music-fans of the other systems who really like their Rock and Rap (and are really big into High Fidelity sound) Nintendo's success is shocking because they only have a couple of stations worth listening to, and the rest is just crap that is being offered to pander to people with "Bad Taste" ... Hell, they even have a talk radio station, talk isn't music.

Great analogy!

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

MontanaHatchet said:
Who are you trying to convince with this? Did you just feel like writing a nice little essay, or did you actually think you would change the mind of some detractors? Or did you just want some high fives from other Nintendo fans?

He's giving people a comparison of reactions to totally different yet similar situations to show that core gamers just have an unwillingness to change due to comfortability which is why they smash anything that would affect their stagnant situation. However sometimes change is for the best as it was with the NES and more than likely what it'll be with the Wii and people need to learn that change is better too and ya need to sometimes get out of your comfortability zones to achieve more.

Seriously people didn't yall take reading comprehension.

MontanaHatchet said:

To show that they're a good writer? i really don't bother reading topics like this but at least it has good grammer unlike 90% of topics i read..

Around the Network
endimion said:

yeah that's about it.... now, is that trend something that can last more than one gen, is the real question.... I'm not certain they created any brand loyalty with the casual scene.....those guys are not really brand loyal in the first place.... I'm not even sure they will be gaming loyal... see my point ???? I have nothing against nintendo... I'm just questionning what happened on the market this gen.... is it better to try to bring gaming to casuals... or to offer a multimedia box that do gaming too in the future ??? this gen the first solution worked, what about in 10 years ???

First off, "Casual" gamers have existed on every system since the NES and there has been a steady growth in their population through every generation; they are one of the main reasons why the industry sold 60 Million units with the NES, 80 Million with the SNES/Genesis (25% industry growth), 140 Million with the Playstation/N64/Saturn (50% industry growth), and 170 Million with the PS2/XBox/Gamecube/Dreamcast ...

Secondly, no group of gamers has demonstrated any form of brand loyalty so why should you hold that against casual gamers? As long as Nintendo provides them with the service they want at a price they're willing to pay they will choose to buy a Nintendo system rather than their competition ... What they want may change or (as Sony demonstrated) a company can start offering a service a customer doesn't want at a price they're not willing to pay.

MontanaHatchet said:

He's trying to share a perspective which few people on this site have, because not many of us were around for the second gen crash. Even though the rise of the NES coincided with my childhood, I sure wasn't paying attention to the impact of the NES on the broader market at the time, or how the "old guard" gamers reacted to the system. I was too busy trying to visit my friend's house because he had an NES.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

KZ2 said:
Standing up and waving your hand at a TV screen to play a game. That does not sounds like much fun to me. I much rather play a shooter game on a HD console or PC.
But to other people including once non gamers (soccer mums, girls, grandmas and grandpas) and casuals the Wii is a breath of fresh air. It brings people to play games who like the idea of the motion control.
Each to their own opinion and tastes. A boring world it would be if we all had the same interests.

Standing up to play is kinda rare in Wii games and if you're waving around wilding, "you're doing it wrong".   Also, pushing the same damn buttons for the past 20+ years has gotten pretty boring for me.

It's been wash, rinse, repeat for 20 years just with new color shirts and prettier designs.   See how a new input method can be a breath of fresh air even for a hardcore gamer?

I agree with the end of your post and that's the most important part of it.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
peetee said:
Your topic title contradicts your opinion!

Antithesis.  It's a rhetorical device.

Million said:
Sensible gamers will agree, 360/PS3 fanboys will disagree.

Fixed.

Ruin'd

>_><_<>_>

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

famousringo said:
MontanaHatchet said:

He's trying to share a perspective which few people on this site have, because not many of us were around for the second gen crash. Even though the rise of the NES coincided with my childhood, I sure wasn't paying attention to the impact of the NES on the broader market at the time, or how the "old guard" gamers reacted to the system. I was too busy trying to visit my friend's house because he had an NES.

Really? I didn’t know it was the second crash when was the first?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(