By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Controllers

other than the Wii controllers i would have to say the PS2 Pelican wireless controller i just liked how the R2 and L2 buttons were placed

xbox controller the first 1 it was just huge 

Around the Network
Tispower said:
ihira said:
Its d-pad is probably the most accurate and precsiese one out there. I can't stand crappy d-pads (360, GC, Sega pads)
I agree, the Playstation D-Pad's have always been the best, although I would say the Nintendo ones are pretty good aswell, although I like the fact that the Playstation's D-Pad is split up, to I find it easier to press one direction, without having to push it at an angle, if you see what I mean...

I forgot about the Duelshock D-Pad but the terrible triggers on the SIXAXIS take away any positives from great D-Pad.  My fingers always slip right off those things and just generally pisses me off.

My two favorite controllers are pretty much equal for first in my heart. Today it could be one, tomorrow thee other. But before I go there, let me get my least favorite out of the way:

That damn Atari Jaguar controller was absolute crap. There has not been a worse controller I have ever touched in my twenty plus years of gaming.

Favorites:

Nintendo 64 controller. NiGHTS controller. Both amazing, egronomic, and sound. I like the feel, and the weight. Most diverse controllers to their time and very well used.

Under rated:

Virtual Boy controller. That controller feels great in your hands, has good triggers, an innovative layout, and a sleek design. But the console was so terrible, nobody gave the controller a chance.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

I sorta liked the N64 controller, it was comfortable. But it looked hideous...and the entire left side with the D-Pad and L trigger was basically never used...they could have kept the horizontal layout like the GC controller. And yeah, the GC controller is my favorite.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Favorite would have to be the 360 controller... really comfortable on the hands. I hate the waggle-wand and it's nunchuk... hurts my hands.

Around the Network

=D 

Munkeh said:
ITispower said:
In contradiction to most people here, it seems, I would say the SIXAXIS is my favourite controller, the lightness makes it nicer to use, and it's wireless, also the triggers are a lot better than the L2/R2 buttons that sometimes didn't work at all, or got stuck down.

I would say my least favourite controller is probably either the original xBox Controller, man that thing was huge! Or the N64 controller, maybe it was because it looked hideous, or maybe because whenever I played it I had no idea how to hold/use it, either way, I've never particularly liked it.

I can't comment on either the WiiMote/Nunchuck/Classic controller, as I have yet to use them, but I do think they look verys good, as Nintendo have gone for iPod clean look.

But yeah, keyboard and mouse is also very good, although I would say I prefer using a wireless mouse, because I always found the wire annoying.

I agree with everything you say apart from keyboord, I only use my computer for RTSs, so I dont know what they are like in comparison to PS controllers

I mainly use my PC for RTS aswell, as I'm a big fan of it, but I have played BF:1942, for instance, on PC, and it's so much easier to get headshots with a keyboard and mouse than on a console! Overall, it's just easier to be more accurate, than trying to aim with analogue sticks on the controller (in FPS). I think a good example of this is when you use the browser on the PS3 (it's probs same with Wii aswell), but you can use the D-pad to jump to each link, without having to control the cursor, however, if you do control the cursor with the analogue sticks, it's much harder than it would be with a mouse. However, in BF:1942 you can also control planes and vehicles, but that is a lot harder than on consoles, so overall, PC=FPS/RTS, Console=Everything else control wise.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

The sixasses blows. Hopefully it will end up like the duke and/or original saturn controller, that is a shitty controller replaced by a good/great pad. I swear, if they don't redesign this POS when they add rumble I'll actually finish my sixaxis+360 controller mod. I'd almost rather use a sega activator than a sixaxis.

The genesis 3 and 6 button were great, but the saturn was the best. Sega always had the best D-pads. Whoever said they suck and the dual shock is better needs to play fighters and shmups. That split cross is just stupid.

360 is the best at the moment, and would be the best "3D" controller ever if they just put a better d-pad in it.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

The 360 controller fits my hand like a glove, i love it...

The N64 or the GC controllers are my least favorite, not because they were uncomfertable but because they had a terrible button lay out...

Tispower said:
Munkeh said:
ITispower said:
In contradiction to most people here, it seems, I would say the SIXAXIS is my favourite controller, the lightness makes it nicer to use, and it's wireless, also the triggers are a lot better than the L2/R2 buttons that sometimes didn't work at all, or got stuck down.

I would say my least favourite controller is probably either the original xBox Controller, man that thing was huge! Or the N64 controller, maybe it was because it looked hideous, or maybe because whenever I played it I had no idea how to hold/use it, either way, I've never particularly liked it.

I can't comment on either the WiiMote/Nunchuck/Classic controller, as I have yet to use them, but I do think they look verys good, as Nintendo have gone for iPod clean look.

But yeah, keyboard and mouse is also very good, although I would say I prefer using a wireless mouse, because I always found the wire annoying.

I agree with everything you say apart from keyboord, I only use my computer for RTSs, so I dont know what they are like in comparison to PS controllers

I mainly use my PC for RTS aswell, as I'm a big fan of it, but I have played BF:1942, for instance, on PC, and it's so much easier to get headshots with a keyboard and mouse than on a console! Overall, it's just easier to be more accurate, than trying to aim with analogue sticks on the controller (in FPS). I think a good example of this is when you use the browser on the PS3 (it's probs same with Wii aswell), but you can use the D-pad to jump to each link, without having to control the cursor, however, if you do control the cursor with the analogue sticks, it's much harder than it would be with a mouse. However, in BF:1942 you can also control planes and vehicles, but that is a lot harder than on consoles, so overall, PC=FPS/RTS, Console=Everything else control wise.

Actually, the Wii Remote is great for the menus (though you can use the Classic Controller for menus) and shooters (RE4 shows that).  I'm actually as accurate with my Wii Remote as I am with a mouse and keyboard and that's even playing sitting in a huge bean bag type thing with my remote hand resting on my lap and my other hand holding the nunchuck resting behind my head.  It's just so comfortable.  The only reason why I rate the 360 above the Wii Remote is because I have still yet to see a game with great camera controls.  I'm really hoping Metroid will fix this, but I'll have to wait and see.

I'm still not sure how great the Wii Remote would work for RTS games, but I'm actually going to guess it would be bad only because of lack of buttons (every controller suffers from that).  In order to be good at an RTS you need to know the keyboard shortcuts and do things quickly.  Anyways, end off topic.