By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Did Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn get bad reviews?

youjiro said:
oh ye and btw gamespot gave it an 8 and i think ign gave it something like a 6... now those are some wierd reviews...

Gamespote gave it a 6 and said the plot was laughable though admited it does pick up later.  IGN gave it an 8

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Yes, for a SRPG, imo, it was an epic under-taking. Huge battles excellently balanced, and very time consuming, yet rewarding for every second you put into the game. The story is also excellent, though it doesn't pick up till later in the game(by that time, most reviewers had quite playing). Absolutely fantastic. 9.5/10, just slightly better than GTAIV, MGS4, Bioshock, and SMG. I'd say RE4 beat it last generation, and Elite Beat Agents might succeed in a tie. Otherwise, yes, it's a magnificant game and every SRPG fan is completely remiss for not playing this. It's worth 300 dollars plus tax, imo.

I'm not kidding.

I was surprised at the size of some battles.  They were great... except for the enemy's turn.  I hated waiting for the enemy to slowly move every single unit...

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Yes, for a SRPG, imo, it was an epic under-taking. Huge battles excellently balanced, and very time consuming, yet rewarding for every second you put into the game. The story is also excellent, though it doesn't pick up till later in the game(by that time, most reviewers had quite playing). Absolutely fantastic. 9.5/10, just slightly better than GTAIV, MGS4, Bioshock, and SMG. I'd say RE4 beat it last generation, and Elite Beat Agents might succeed in a tie. Otherwise, yes, it's a magnificant game and every SRPG fan is completely remiss for not playing this. It's worth 300 dollars plus tax, imo.

I'm not kidding.

Bolded - I agree completely. It felt great finaly pass certain levels without losing any characters (btw, is it at all possible to not lose any characters in the final battle? I've tried, but it seemed impossible)

Underlined - I disagree  with this statement.  I did not find the story, nor the characters, to be engaging or interesting at all. I thought PoR did a much better job in this area and is one of the reasons I was slightly disappointed in this game and does not rank aong my favourite SRPG's. That being said, I absolutely loved this game and remains my favourite game so far this generation. I'm hoping that'll change this month with Disgaea 3 or in November with Valkyria Chronicles.

RolStoppable said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

I was surprised at the size of some battles.  They were great... except for the enemy's turn.  I hated waiting for the enemy to slowly move every single unit...

Once you beat the game you can turn off the battle animations on the map. But even without that, the AI makes their turn usually pretty quickly in the FE games. Just compare that to a game like FFTA.

The game is hard, at least compared to the previous two games (Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance). Overall in the Fire Emblem series the difficulty of Radiant Dawn is about average.

Sorry, I prefer to compare Fire Emblem games to other good games.

Radiant Dawn didn't feel any more or less difficult to me than Blazing Sword (later chapters anyway), Sacred Stones, or Sword of Seals.  If anything, the ability to battle save should have made it easier.

I totally agree, those darn reviewers always reviewing!

BTW I don't like difficulty I own FE:RD and I don't like FE:RD once I got up to the ballista part I quit, I didn't want to waste another 40 minutes trying to reposition my guys so they don't catch a beating and 1 of them dies.

I could stand GBA fire emblems but this one was just too annoying and time consuming for me. I rarely spend 2 hours in front of a console playing a single game and these days I don't even have time for my hand helds... this of course isn't FE:RD's fault it is however not my niche.

Apparantly if reviewers were saying that then my niche must be a bit more substantial than I thought.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Niche japanese genre where you have to read lots of text.
How can reviewers give it good scores when they can't read more than one line of text before being tired?
That just can't happen, and it would have gotten worse scores if there was no VO at all.

This game wasn't to hard I played without using the pre-promotes to attack which made things harder early on but pretty much mid to late game it was easy, but much harder than the last. I love this type of game and havent played many and if this is considered hard for SRPGs then some must be pointlessly easy like FFTA which is a joke.

The game is great. I doubt any reviewer that scored it lower than 8 played it past chapter 1. I have played other SRPGs and I can finally see why I love FE so much. It is a game where grinding and brute force is meaningless. In games like Disgaea or FF tatics, you could always grind and make it ridiculous easy. One uber character could solo the entire game. On FE RD Ike is overpowered, but he can barelly solo a single map.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Riachu said:
youjiro said:
oh ye and btw gamespot gave it an 8 and i think ign gave it something like a 6... now those are some wierd reviews...

Gamespote gave it a 6 and said the plot was laughable though admited it does pick up later.  IGN gave it an 8

ye that would make more sense... i'm obviously confused

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

Because it´s a really hardcore game and sure not finish the game