By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CNET.com - "Why Microsoft Should Aquire Sony's Gaming Division"

Nintendo market cap is justified but is probably the one of the top company that can fluctuate the most as the company is not diversified much and revenue strictily depends on a product with a 5 year lifecycle. ( Google isn't diversified much either but that industry doesn't have the same cycle).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
dlguy said:

Long time lurker here. I feel the need to chip in. SCE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corp:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press_Archive/200311/03-054E/

This means Sony Corp controls 100% of SCE's stocks, and SCE's stocks are not available for public trading.

MSFT buying SCE is not an option, unless MSFT were to buy all of Sony Corp.

Everything's for sale... for a price. Just like this website... and even your forehead (again for a price)

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Ail said:
sieanr said:
ssj12 said:
Reasonable said:
MS could also do with buying Google and other companies that are giving it trouble around its core business, and Apple would be handy too.

I mean, its not the analysis is flawed as such, its just that you could say that about any competitive company - hell, all Sony has to do is buy Nintendo and the job's done for this generation, right?

Or maybe Apple buys MS entertainment division and shuts down Zune, etc. and uses 360 to get into gaming...

What's missing, apart from a few too vague statements in my opinion, is any real reason for Sony to make such a sale, big losses or not at this stage in time, particularly given how crucial PS3 is right now for BR adoption.

M$ can not afford Google, Nintendo, Apple, or Sony. These companies, and many others, are the world's power houses and therefore would cost as much as a small country to purchase. None of them can afford one another.

As for Blu-ray it  has made some large increases as of late. It has held about 7 - 8% of the US disc based movie market gaining between 7.5 - 9 million dollars in revenue each week. BR adoption doesnt seem to bad for how much it costs.

You have to be a joke poster.

The fact that you think those companies are "the world's power houses" would be funny if it wasn't so naive.

Facts :

Google market cap : 145 Billion $

Apple market cap : 140 Billion $

Sony market cap : 38.4 Billion $

Nintendo market cap : 67.2 Billion $

By comparison Microsoft market cap : 231.3 Billion $

Top 2 software companies worldwide by Market cap : Microsoft and Google.

Top electronics company worldwide for Market cap : Apple ( Intel is only at 128.3 Billion $).

I said among others due to oil companies and WalMart having billions too. The fact is none of the companies would be cheap to buy out in any way shape or form. They are all major corporations.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

goddog said:

@DTG, so, simcity, civilization, and europa universales

are not intellectually stimulating ....

sorry but id have to disagree, and as for artistic id have to say gears was mighty impressive with the scenery, though to each their own,

have a BFA could be an art nazi

@ali thanks for the list i do remeber when nintendo was much cheaper... apple had all that cash just laying around ... and still does... maybe they could buy sony

What did those games inspire you to learn, teach you about life and yourself or had a profound impact on your worldview?

DTG said:
goddog said:

sorry but id have to disagree, and as for artistic id have to say gears was mighty impressive with the scenery, though to each their own,

@ali thanks for the list i do remeber when nintendo was much cheaper... apple had all that cash just laying around ... and still does... maybe they could buy sony

What did those games inspire you to learn, teach you about life and yourself or had a profound impact on your worldview?

What games by Sony have profoundly affected your worldview?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

whatever drugs you have been taking give me some, because i think i need some

@dtg, when i first started playing they did i went out and read about the difrent civilizations in civilization. and i think simcity 2000 was the first time i heard about desalinization plants a technology i support development for

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

rocketpig said:
DTG said:
goddog said:

Are you trying to tell us that RIDING A DRAGON didn't blow your mind away!!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

rocketpig said:
DTG said:
goddog said:

I;d almost say Killzone actually has a very profound story... or GOW.... Patapon definitely doesnt.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

rocketpig said:
DTG said:
goddog said:

Not made by Sony, but developed exclusively on Sony systems is the MGS franchise and particularly MGS2 -A profound piece of contemporary art that more than a few people have claimed to have changed their lives..

The rest of the franchise and Xenogears, while neither having as much of an impact on me are nonetheless profound works of thought that have touched other peoples lives. I've read of others who had been deeply affected by Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. All these games are on Sony platforms which solidifies the view that Sony is the only promoter of art and thought in the industry today.