By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Demand for Wii still outpaces supply

I remember during launch, people saying that it was not going to sell out. Saying there was no reason for me to wait 20 hours (First, Second person came 4 hours later) in line for it, since I could pick it up in the morning.

That was fun. My friend dropped by at 7:30 am at my local Target (opens at 8) and was suprised by the line of 120+ people- though most of them came at around 5 am.

The funniets thing was how people passing by kept telling me that the PS3 launched 2 days before, and that I was late. Others thought I was lining up for the PS3. Ah, the ignorance that was pre-launch.

Around the Network

I'm still Wii-less atm, but it's by choice. I've purchased systems for friends and am currently holding out for a black one this holiday. (And if Nintendo doesn't announce it at min3, I'll be taking Reggie's name and kicking his ass! ;) )

I also have other friends who are interested in them, so the demand is definitely still there. And it's still very difficult to find a system. Now if Nintendo would just ramp up production a bit more like the promised...

(And for those using sarcasm, may I suggest the use of smileys. They do wonders for the world of text communication. :P )

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

alpha_dk said:
I dunno though, if you go by the "Good Reviews for your Advertisers" method of thinking about reviews/news stories/whatever, the fact that Nintendo is paying good money to use the AP wire in Wii's news channel could be significant.

Offtopic{
Is anyone else really impressed by the Wii's news channel? I mean, maybe its been done elsewhere and I just haven't seen it, but as soon as I connected my wii up and opened that channel I was just blown away. It's easily my favorite way to get news these days. If only they would add the ability to add other newsfeeds to it (unless that functionality is already there, I haven't looked), I would not need my computer to read news at all anymore!
}

In any case, its probably *actually* just a slow news day, but I dunno, AP could have some sort of incentive to get more people onto the wii (however small that incentive is). Do any of the other consoles offer a newsreel built into them?

I am. It's one of my first things to check on my Wii as I come home from work everyday. Wii's gotten back to Nintendo's roots. They are truly making that thing the Family Computer.

I don't know if that AP story's true news, advertisement or in-your-face snub to competition sponsored by Nintendo but I can certainly guarantee that it is real. This thing is like no other system before it to be selling like this in the famous "summer slump". It will only heat up (pardon the summer pun) as the months roll on.

By the way who likes my new signature? I don't do signatures (not my style) but I needed a way to track my prediction for easy reference so people won't have to backtrack through my posts to find it.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

DarkNight_DS said:
Well I'm sure most of us were hoping the Wii would be sold out for most of the year, but were you 100% confident that it would? I'd say I was 50/50... What does this mean? If the Wii continues to be in hot demand will it follow in the DS's footsteps and continue this trend year after year? It looks like the DS's sales won't slow anytime soon and Wii talk happens far more often then DS talk in the news and at work etc... What does all of this mean?!?! We hoped for the best... and it looks like we're going to get everything we wanted as Wii owners... it may not happen as fast as we want (games coming and add ons etc.) but it will happen... It's just weird...

I was. But no one listens to me.

And I wish I started posting here in December. *I* woulda said it that Wii will still be selling like launch day even in July. Woulda titled the thread "Christmas in July".

And twesterm, I'm under category 2.

DonWii's signature: Nintendo's Philoshophy: The hardcore of a peach is the pit. Try to get the WHOLE fruit.

I know where you got that quote from.  

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

stof said:
FishyJoe said:
Really, If I said in December that 100 people would be lining up at the Nintendo store to buy a Wii in July, I would have been torn apart by the Sony fanboys.

you've have been torn apart by everybody. To say that in December would have left you a laughing stock (is it laughing stock or laughing stalk?)

Now imagine if you said that AND that the PS3 would be getting outsold by the GBA in Japan...

Around the Network
johnlucas said:
alpha_dk said:
I dunno though, if you go by the "Good Reviews for your Advertisers" method of thinking about reviews/news stories/whatever, the fact that Nintendo is paying good money to use the AP wire in Wii's news channel could be significant.

Offtopic{
Is anyone else really impressed by the Wii's news channel? I mean, maybe its been done elsewhere and I just haven't seen it, but as soon as I connected my wii up and opened that channel I was just blown away. It's easily my favorite way to get news these days. If only they would add the ability to add other newsfeeds to it (unless that functionality is already there, I haven't looked), I would not need my computer to read news at all anymore!
}

In any case, its probably *actually* just a slow news day, but I dunno, AP could have some sort of incentive to get more people onto the wii (however small that incentive is). Do any of the other consoles offer a newsreel built into them?

I am. It's one of my first things to check on my Wii as I come home from work everyday. Wii's gotten back to Nintendo's roots. They are truly making that thing the Family Computer.

I don't know if that AP story's true news, advertisement or in-your-face snub to competition sponsored by Nintendo but I can certainly guarantee that it is real. This thing is like no other system before it to be selling like this in the famous "summer slump". It will only heat up (pardon the summer pun) as the months roll on.

By the way who likes my new signature? I don't do signatures (not my style) but I needed a way to track my prediction for easy reference so people won't have to backtrack through my posts to find it.

John Lucas

Your predictions are pretty optimistic for the Wii. I don't expect it to surpass 360 in July, but maybe halfway through August. After that, 360 will just blow it by with Halo 3. But back to the topic... haven't we heard this a million times already?

Cursayer2 said:
johnlucas said:

John Lucas

Your predictions are pretty optimistic for the Wii. I don't expect it to surpass 360 in July, but maybe halfway through August. After that, 360 will just blow it by with Halo 3. But back to the topic... haven't we heard this a million times already?

Agreed. I think the Wii has a shot at the 360 WW in July or early August, but not in the Americas by September. There are 13 weeks between now and then, and the Wii is behind by almost 3m units in the Americas. It would have to catch up by an average of 230,000 consoles a week, which is approximately how many units it's selling worldwide over the last few weeks. Nintendo isn't going to suddenly go from shipping 80k a week to America to over 300k a week, which is what they would need to do to catch 360 by September.

So we're expecting Halo itself to push the 360 past the Wii when it can only sell well in 1 region, versus 3 for the wii?

The Wii is less than a million behind the 360 in Europe as it is.

Nintendo's best strategy for September is to push a bunch of non-shooter games, both core and non-core titles. We already know Battallion Wars 2 is due the day before Halo 2, so I'd put up MySims and a few other appealing titles to get the attention of all of the gamers who don't care for Halo, and heavily advertise them. :)

Of course, a couple extra shipments of hardware to North America would help too. ;)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I don't know if I agree that Halo can push the 360 back past the Wii, if the Wii passes the 360 this summer. At current WW weekly sales rates 360 would have to jump around 140K to pass Wii weekly sales. Even Pokemon didn't move that many pieces of hardware. I also expect that Nintendo will be shipping at least an extra 50K (if not 100K) units per week around this time.

I just learnt a new word: 'Jackassface'

Awesome.