By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom trying to blame piracy for poor DMC4 (PC) sales?

Well everryone of my friend who is interested and doesnt have Xbox or Ps3 have cracked it to their pc..

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network
XGamer0611 said:
Piracy is a huge reason that PC gaming is niche and not mainstream. Companies lose so much money to PC game piracy that they give up on it. So if there is a sequel to a game the PC may not get it where the first one was released for the PC.

Capcom should not be complaining as DMC 4's main target was consoles. I know the game sold decently on the two HD consoles.

You are ignorant if you believe that. PC is healthier than ever, the problem is many developers/publishers don't take advantage of PC's strong points.

First, the guy who the article mentioned does NOT know if the sales were what Capcom expected, he said so himself: "I'm not sure about how Capcom in general feels but It's not doing as well as I would like in the US at retail." - source

Capcom Japan do not have the expertise to fully make a impact in the PC market, unlike EA... Electronic Arts, after many studies and research, concluded that PC is unbelievably strong and is expanding greatly. So now EA's biggest focus will be PC gaming. EA will have it's priorities in the order:

1- PC
2- Wi
3- DS
4/5 - 360/PS3
6- Mobile
7- PSP

I'm actually amazed (yet expected from a money-grubber) at the exclusive PC support EA is giving in the next 1.5 years:
Giant Exclusive Single-player PC games:
- SPORE
- The Sims 3
- Dragon Age: Origins

- Several expansions for Spore/Sims 2/Sims 3/Dragon Age
- FIFA Manager 09 e probably FIFA Manager '10
- The PC version of FIFA 09 is amazing
- MySims with online modes.

Giant Exclusive Online PC games:
- Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
- Battlefield 3 (rumour)
- Battlefield Heroes
- Battleforge
- Kotor MMO

And PC will also get from EA:
- New Digital Distribution Service, which will replace that crappy EA Store
- EA's PC Sports Games Returning Next Year, with 'Meaningful' Online Connectivity
- EA looking to market Crysis ready PCs

- All of EA's multiplatform games

And also, how could Capcom complain if they didn't even release the game in Digital Distributors...

Core console-first games made in Japan that tend to be focused towards the console market for years, tend to have trouble generating the same gross revenue as their console counterparts. A few reasons.

1. PC games are usually cheaper than console games.
2. Piracy exists. Pretending it's not a problem is unacceptable.
3. Japanese games are usually released on console first because of piracy stigma.

4. Not taking advantage of digital distribution.

Now, like I've always said, being a PC fanboy is fine. However, we must hold PC fanboys up to the same light we hold console fanboys. When we rattle off cherrypicked facts like "The PC is the highest grossing gaming device" we can't act like that's not a cherrypicked statement. Of course the PC is a great source of gaming revenue. However, it's not gonna sell Madden like the consoles, ever, and a ton of that revenue is from older, more casual, and online games, like World of Warcraft.

Telling a developer to develop their 20m budget HD game exclusively for PC, is telling a developer to lose money. While the PC, yes, sells more software, that gross income is spread out over a lot more product.

It's equivelant to telling 3rd party developers, "The Wii sells the most software, you should develop for it exclusively," and not explaining certain facts about who makes most of the software it sells, or what type.

http://www.dragonagecentral.com/single/1216167900

Dragon Age will eventually hit Consoles, most likely, as will every game capable of being ported that EA things it can make a profit at.

However, it seems like for every new PC exclusive "core" title, there are 10 console exclusives that don't get mentioned.

PC gaming also has a target market, just like consoles. To a point, it is a universal gaming machine that targets everyone, but certain genres do outperform things like, say, Japanese action games. SPORE, for instance, or any "sim" type game. RTS, Online, and casual/card games are all huge on PC.

I won't fall into the trap of arguing "why" PC gaming isn't the end all savior pro-PC entheusiasts claim it to be. Those are simply opinions. I will present these examples, however:

Mass Effect: The game, with rumored anti-piracy measures, angered the PC gaming community. It seems that most core titles must be very careful not to upset or get itself in the sites of this community. The core PC gamer feels "entitled." So, companies take steps to appease them. They often release their PC version last, in order to minimize perceived piracy losses. Remember that word "perceived." They release the game at a cheaper price, as most PC core titles are forced to do, due to the community and perceived value(which is a major reason games LIKE THIS, core expensive titles, sometimes gross less on the PC than their console counterpart, along with later launch dates). They also release the game with extra content, which would have been an expensive download on a console.

PC gamers, however, would have none of it. The backlash over the install restrictions, caused PC gamers to threaten en-masse to "pirate" the game in order to teach EA a lesson. Enough so, that EA had to back down off some of its piracy restrictions.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: The problem of piracy is a large one. However, what is an even larger problem for any platform is stigmatization. Let's look at the Wii, for instance. If 3rd party developers believe their game won't sell on the Wii, then they won't make it on the Wii. That's the problem a lot of developers have with the PC. They see rumors for big budget games that have failed, and believe piracy is to blame. They don't develop their games for PC, because they hear people like CliffyB flaming PC as a platform, and they hear other PO'd developers say "PC gaming is dying" and they hear about all this piracy, so they believe that a PC version launch release would actually hurt their sales on other platforms. The stigmatization of non-profitability and loss is greater than the actual.

PC gaming will probably never again be the monolith it once was, in the way we want to perceive it. In the days when the PC had all the great exclusives. The Half-Life days. Now, it is simply more profitable to release your games across all platforms, with the ease of ports and the similarity between PC and console architecture. Look at The Orange Box, and imagine how many more copies it sold because it was released on PS360, or how much more gross profit it made, more importantly.

Consoles simply once weren't capable of running these games.

The old tired argument of "games are always better on computer" also has lost a little tread recently. For every advantage to computer gaming, there is a disadvantage. Graphics? Local multiplayer, family fun. Cheaper games? Plug and play, ease of entry. Keyboard and mouse? Support increase on consoles. Patches? Consoles have em too. Extra content, huge back catelogue of software? Earlier releases in many cases. Lack of a first party. Glitches. Non-uniform software and hardware.

There was a point when PC gaming was without a doubt, the market leader for core and casual gaming. Not only could you emulate everything on any console, but you could play many other exclusive games with much better graphical fidelity. It's not as much of a dominant force as it once was, imo. It might still be the leader of the pack, but it's playing in the same ballpark, for the first time.

However, a little competition never hurt anything. I think a little piracy protection that simply wouldn't allow the often elitist PC gaming community to always get their way, wouldn't be a bad idea. Consoles are only going to get more and more similar to their PC counterparts, and since the core audience is growing much more slowly than are budgets for core titles, graphics are only going to increase at a much slower pace than in the past, a major advantage of the PC for core gamers.

As for this situation. If Capcom lost money on their game going to PC, why should we flame them?

"I have a kickass PC connected to my 65" 1080p TV in my living room. It'll destroy all of my consoles and ask for seconds in terms of performance. I know there are others out there like me that similarly enjoy that experience," Svensson wrote. "We are members of the PCGA. As a company, we strongly believe that the future of the PC is bright."

The guy wrote that, btw. The one that you're flaming for whining. I don't think we can classify it as such. In fact, I think Capcom has done well in releasing this game on PC. As spiteful as PC gamers can be, I think deep down, despite all the capcom hate they spew, they would be a little sad if capcom dropped out of PC gaming alltogether.

When you say, "Oh well, they will just be missing out on that money." Listen to yourself. You sound like you want to turn console wars into Jerry Springer.

Recently, Crazzy said that if developers want to make their games 360 exclusive, even timed, they should and would be punished by Crazzy pirating their games on the 360, because they should have known better than to spite the superior PS3.

Now, why, when Crazzy says it, is it one of the most appauling and fanboyistic things ever uttered on the interenet, but when the PC gaming community says it en-masse, it must be the developers fault.

The same light. Nothing less.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

im just waiting for the price to come down, then i'll get it for my ps3.

Check out my game about moles ^

ill get it... eventually.. never cared for DMC much.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

@ZenfoldorVGI

You're saying so much crap it's insane.

2007 Estimations:

Console Games Revenue - $14 Billions
PC Games Revenue - $11.3 Billions

PC Exclusives 2008 - 99999
Any Console Exclusives 2008 - 30? Average

Seriously, get a grip.

Dragon Age: Origins is not coming to Console. There are no plans to port it, and it will be incredibly hard to port that game. It's like someone asking to port Baldur's Gate 2 to Xbox 360... it's stupid and impossible.

You are ignoring the fact that there are so many amazing PC games coming in the next 18 months, that will put any console to shame. The funny thing is PC will also get all the 'great' exclusive 360 games, and if they get all their games, then how can a console ever beat PC in quality and quantity?

I'm not flaming that Sven guy. I'm 'flaming' the people who think Sven knows the status of DMC4's sales, because he himself said he didn't know. Sven actually has his head in his shoulder: he knows the future of PC gaming is digital distribution, but Capcom Japan are still oblivion to that... that's why he's going to japan soon to convince them to support Digital Distribution (he already had CEI made a deal with dozens of companies for digital distribution of over 100 websites/portals)

Lucas Arts and CliffyB are idiots, simple as that. CliffyB sees the NPD sales and thinks that PC is dieing (idiotic) while Lucas Arts were caught in the Adventure->FPS transition and never gave PC another chance, so they can't complain how PC is doing today.

""PC gaming will probably never again be the monolith it once was, in the way we want to perceive it. In the days when the PC had all the great exclusives. The Half-Life days. Now, it is simply more profitable to release your games across broader platforms. Look at The Orange Box, and imagine how many more copies it sold because it was released on PS360.""

See, this just shows how you know little about PC games. PC sold more than PS3/360 combined by double digits (between 10% and 99%) AND is still selling on PC, including in the more profitable Steam platform.

""Recently, Crazzy said that if developers want to make their games 360 exclusive, even timed, they should and would be punished by Crazzy pirating their games on the 360, because they should have known better than to spite the superior PS3.
Now, why, when Crazzy says it, is it one of the appauling and fanboyism things ever uttered on the interenet, but when the PC gaming community says it en-masse, it must be the developers fault.""

PC gamers are not saying that Capcom should be punished for DMC4 being released late on PC and not on DD services.... we are saying that Capcom IS already being punished for their lack of knowledge of the PC Gaming Market!!

I'm saying so much crap it's insane.

The link I posted to the developer commenting that Dragon's Age might be coming to consoles is impossible and false.

Every PC detractor is an idiot.

There are so many PC games coming in the next 18 months, it will put the console to shame.

PC games sold more than the PS360 combined. That is not cherrypicking, and all relevant information is given.

Capcom is being punished by PC gamers.

PC Exclusives 2008 - 99999
Any Console Exclusives 2008 - 30? Average

My opinion is stupid.

Are you listening to yourself?

Do you believe that attacking anyone who hits anything negative towards the PC somehow helps your cause?

Do you think you are unbiased, and indeed give all the facts.

You're worse than Crazzy. At least he admits his fanatacism.

Everything has positives and negatives. These little "debates" that we've gotten in where I give some very sound reasoning, that you tend to cherrypick and ignore in your retorts, that hold little or no value beyond some talking points that PC gamers incessantly spout.

You don't have enough information. Neither of us do. That's why I wasn't discussing sales here. Why don't we try discussing some of the things that we do have information about instead of repeating yourself and calling everyone an idiot who doesn't completely agree with you.

Your style of personal attack flame is hostile and unacceptable. I suppose being a fanboy, even a PC one, still a fanboy makes. I would like to have an adult conversation here, but I think I've already had it. My first post was spot on. If you want to continue this conversation, then read it again, and think of a better retort than, "Nuh uh! You're an idiot and here are some made up numbers to prove it, even though that wasn't your point, as I well know, and these numbers don't necessarily represent the health of the single player core market, as they encompass the massively successful MMO genre, and casual games, and perhaps even software like Microsoft Word."

"more profitable Steam platform"

Very few people have the courage to stand up to you PC gaming entheusiasts, because most people think that there is some vast amount of knowledge that you must know, when discussing it. PC gamers are passionate. They like hording that stigma over the heads of the people who attempt to disagree with them. It's like you feel bitter for being left out of the general gaming conversations.

However, that stigma is incorrect. Fanboyism, and all its characteristics, is universal, I find. Find the talking points, cherrypicks, and conveniently left-out information is rather easy, if you just have a good mind for this sort of thing.

I mean, if I told you that "studies show the Wii is the best platform for 3rd parties in the future," you think that would fly?

"Dragon Age: Origins is not coming to Console." You assume too much. What if Sony said, " We promise that FFVerses13 is coming to PC first.

Perhaps you missed my link.

http://www.dragonagecentral.com/single/1216167900

You really don't think that game will see a 360 release? You seemed pretty sure. If I were you, however, I wouldn't make absolute predictions.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I don't know about you, but every PC gamer I know personally DOES pirate every game that comes out, especially single-player games.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

@OP why not people bought RE4 twice for waggle why not buy DMC4 twice for gfx.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Another Game that suffered from HD gaming. A Wii version might be nice someday.