By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 56k will become obsolete....

They still provide 5k in the US, wow. Where i am from 300k is minimum

Around the Network

i still have it because nothing else is offered in my area. I would get sattelite internet, but I do not want it because there is too much lag during gaming

In major centers (100,000 or more people) it is fairly inexpensive to build the necessary infastructure to provide really high speed internet to consumers; in 10 years I would be surprised if you don't see the average person in a city having 10 to 100 Megabit trasfer rates through wireless for $50 per month.

In contrast it is amazingly expensive to provide that kind of service to small centers and to individuals in rural areas. The reason why people actually have access to 56k at all is that (in many states and countries) the government created phone companies (or subsidised phone companies) in order to provide people with phone service. If you have to spend $10,000 to improve phone lines, or lay down fiber-optic (or coaxial) cable in order to provide internet service for a single farmer it isn't going to happen.

Satelite is currently viable and (soon enough) various forms of Wireless will start to spread into remote areas in part because there will be less infastructure required, and there will be increasing demand for this service along major (and minor) highways for cellphones (including the iPhone) in the near future.

superchunk said:
There a still a lot of places in the US with no form of broadband. US is just too expansive of a nation for those services to reach everywhere.

It'll be quite some time for it to be completely replaced.

Still some parts of rural Ireland without it as well.

^ I live in one of those dead areas in the US and it sucks.

Around the Network

Tmobile mobile 'broadband' internet still manages it in many places in the UK!!

superchunk said:
There a still a lot of places in the US with no form of broadband. US is just too expansive of a nation for those services to reach everywhere.

It'll be quite some time for it to be completely replaced.

Does Canada have the same "problem" as the US?

Sweden's population is very sparse, and I reckon broadband is much more widespread in Sweden than US.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It isn't dead yet? Shit, i even have 384k on my mobile and with a newer model i could go up to 2M.

One thing i just recalled: It was funny about ten years ago, when my aunt got a broadband (first broadband in the village she lives in), there were no other household to get one. After some delays, the ISP eventually put 5 kilometers of cable onto the ground just for the one broadband connection (sure, other people got broadbands later when the price dropped).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Im in UK and the slowest I can find in my area was 2mb I didnt even realize they did 56k I havent seen it for at least 5 years. I thought the 2mb deals were bad.

56k is common in my area, the cables themselves are for some reason limited to 1MB anyway so its imatterially to us poor folk who live on council estates.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions