By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - IGN PC Team's Most Anticipated Games of 2008 Revisited

We take a fresh look at the most promising games of the second half of the year.

August 1, 2008 - Earlier this year, the then-leaderless PC team offered a look at the games they were most excited about in 2008. And while it was, by any objective standards, a truly amazing list, things change. As we move into the second half of the year, our expectations for some of those titles -- not to mention their actual publishing status -- have changed. Also, we've got a brand new editor-in-chief.

It's time to reevaluate the list and offer up a new batch of titles that we're most looking forward to in the second half of 2008. We just feel that it's the responsible thing to do. Also, Jeremy told us we had to.

Like all good-hearted gamers, we're looking forward to games on all the various platforms, but we're limiting these lists to games that are specifically coming to the PC.

Jason's Post-E3 Most Anticipated Games of 2008

10) Space Siege
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: Gas Powered Games
Publisher: SEGA
Why?: The Dungeon Siege games disappointed me with their automated gameplay, but I'm hoping Gas Powered learned its lesson when making Space Siege. And the company did earn good will from me for the great Supreme Commander games. Finally, here's an action RPG that ditches the tired fanatasy thing and goes with sci-fi. It'll be an interesting challenge to try and win the game and also retain as much humanity as possible. Still, action RPGs are judged by mainly two things: how good is the killing and shopping?

9) Spore
Genre: Strategy
Developer: Maxis
Publisher: EA
Why?: It may be one of the most anticipated games of the year, but I'll defy convention and place Spore at the bottom of my list. Don't get me wrong: I'm really looking forward to the game, but I'm also a bit wary as to how it all really comes together in the end. Plus, even though you can destroy entire planets, Spore doesn't really offer up the levels of firepower that I prefer in my strategy games. Finally, I'm wondering if it's possible for a game to have too much stuff. We'll see!

8) Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Genre: RPG
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Atari
Why?: I'll admit I was a bit turned off by the weird soul eating system in the first NWN2 expansion, but, with Storm of Zehir, Obsidian promises to make things right. This new expansion will introduce a new party system that lets you create each member of your crew. When you get down to it, I'm an old school, single-player RPG fan, and I pretty much can't get enough of D&D's Forgotten Realms. Obsidian did amazing things with the core game of NWN2; if it can get back to that kind of epic storytelling again, this is an easy must-have.

7) Far Cry 2
Genre: First-Person Shooter
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Why?: I really loved the original Far Cry on the PC, but that was made by Crytek. This new Far Cry 2 is made by Ubisoft Montreal, arguably one of the top design houses in North America. This is a game that is just ambitious in almost every way, and while I'm impressed by its many complex systems, such as realistic fire propagation, I need to see if it the gameplay has any soul to it. Is Far Cry 2 more than the sum of its admittedly impressive parts? I want to know.

6) Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Developer: Gearbox
Why?: When I was in college I spent a spring break running around the woods of Fort Lewis with fellow Army ROTC members. Very few shooters can capture that sense of tactical coordination, but on that list are the Brothers in Arms games. Sure, Hell's Highway is massively overdue, and that irks me. I like the challenge of thinking of my feet, coordinating my squad as I'm busy dodging and returning fire. We know that Gearbox is using modern computing power to deliver better visuals, but will it also deliver better gameplay?

5) World in Conflict: Soviet Assault
Developer: Massive Entertainment
Publisher: TBA
Why?: Last year's World in Conflict was one of the most thrilling and eye-catching strategy games in years, and while the Soviet Assault campaign isn't even a full expansion, I still can't wait to play it. This is technically going to be a downloadable campaign on the PC, one that will integrate into the existing World in Conflict campaign, with the main addition being that you'll now be able to fight from the perspective of the Red Army in addition to NATO and US forces. It's time to nuke those pesky capitalists, comrade.

4) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Developer: GSC Game World
Publisher: Deep Silver
Why?: Sure, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl was a buggy mess, but it was a buggy mess that captivated shooter fans like few games in recent years. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. proved to be sort of a post-apocalyptic Deus Ex, with a haunting and memorable world to explore and fight in. The game got a bit linear in its last chapters, but hopefully Clear Sky learns from this and offers a more wide-open experience. It should also be much less of a buggy mess at launch. Let's see if GSC can step up and deliver.

3) Left 4 Dead
Developer: Valve
Publisher: Valve
Why?: I've been desperately wanting to play more Left 4 Dead ever since I first saw the game a year ago at QuakeCon. And, sure, I've played it on several occasions since then at press events, but at this point Valve just needs to ship this co-op shooter and let us see the levels and secrets it has kept hidden over the past year. Plus, I'm dying to find out what it's like playing from the perspective of the zombies. Unfortunately, we still have three more months of waiting.

2) Crysis Warhead
Developer: Crytek
Why?: Everyone agrees that the first half of Crysis was much stronger than its second half, where the gameplay transitioned from a sandbox experience to a more linear one. Still, it was an incredible, amazing game. Crysis Warhead promises a much more action-packed time, but one that learns its lessons and sticks with the sandbox battles. I've played the E3 level about six or seven times by now, and I'm still amazed at the options in the game. It's fast, fluid, wild, and stunning.

1) Fallout 3
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Why?: I like to say that I'm such an old school Fallout fan that my love for the series goes back to Wasteland, its spiritual predecessor that I played back in the day. To me, the Wasteland/Fallout games are permanently enshrined in my favorite RPGs of all time. I, too, am awfully curious to see what Bethesda has done with the intellectual property, but I've been impressed with what I've seen to date. Now my only question is whether to buy the collector's edition or the super duper collector's edition that costs twice as much.

Other Games Worth Noting: I'm not a huge MMO fan, but I'm still looking forward to the release of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. And I'm curious to see how Space Siege from Gas Powered Games turns out. Mirror's Edge also looks very cool, and it's from DICE, one of my favorite development houses.

Turn the page for Steve Butts' picks

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Steve's Post-E3 Most Anticipated Games of 2008

10) LEGO Batman: The Videogame
Genre: Action
Developer: Traveller's Tales
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive
Why?: I'm a sucker for comic book action and LEGO so I couldn't fail to put this one my list. Combining everyone's favorite caped crusader with everyone's favorite building blocks is a sure winner for me, especially after the wonderful job Traveler's Tales did with their Star Wars games. We're in for loads of great villains, great co-op action, genuine humor and basically a fantastic experience all around. It may not be Frank Miller, but it's still pretty awesome.

9) Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Developer: Gearbox
Why?: Gearbox's original Brothers in Arms combined great tactical gameplay, first rate visuals and a standard of historical accuracy rarely seen in video games. So it's no wonder that I'm excited about this sequel. The cover and suppression system makes firefights about much more than simple marksmanship, which adds a tactical element to the combat that's sorely missing in most other shooters. This time around the 101st are heading to Market-Garden and I'll be sure to reup once the game ships.

8) Crysis Warhead
Developer: Crytek
Why?: Crysis was one of the better shooters of the last few years, even if I did totally hate the alien parts towards the end. With Warhead, the team at Crytek is returning to the jungle for even more high intensity action. Warhead promises to deliver more explosions, more firefights and basically more of everything that made the original Crysis so exciting. When Sykes showed up on the deck of the carrier with his war trophy, I definitely wanted to know more about his story and Warhead should help us explore what happened on the rest of the island during the original game.

7) World in Conflict: Soviet Assault
Developer: Massive Entertainment
Publisher: TBA
Why?: One of the more distressing casualties of the whole Vivendi-Activision deal is the World in Conflict expansion, Soviet Assault. Though it's officially been dropped by Activision, we still have hopes that some other publisher will pick this game up and bring it to retail shelves -- or at least digital download sites. The new Red Army campaign promises to deliver even more of the tactical goodness we loved in the first game and should help us get a thrill by nuking the US forces back to the Stone Age.

6) Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Atari
Why?: More Neverwinter Nights is never a bad thing, and the team at Obsidian is ideally suited to bring us the next installment. The new party system means that you can actually get some old school RPG action even in single player, and having multiple party members means that the developers can create even more opportunities for intelligent skill use. Best of all, there's a new Swashbuckler prestige class that's so close to the specs of my own NWN2 fighter than I'm considering suing the developers.

5) Far Cry 2
Why?: Ubisoft Montreal has created a singular experience in Far Cry 2. Using an entirely new engine and an inventive story-telling system, the game promises to deliver one of the most beautiful, open-ended shooter experiences around. Better yet, it does so without forcing players to trudge through the leafy jungles or shadowy city streets that have dominated recent shooter settings. I'm particularly excited to find out more about the rival warlords you're caught between.

4) Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Genre: Real-time strategy
Developer: EA Los Angeles
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Why?: Parachuting Russian bears, that's why. Personally, there was always something special about the slightly kitschy, twisted world of Red Alert that was more appealing to me than the grittier Tiberium series. This time around the time-traveling Communist psychics and super-intelligent Allied dolphins are joined by an entirely new faction, the Empire of the Rising Sun. With World War III finally becoming a three-way fight, this may just be the most exciting Red Alert ever.

3) Fallout 3
Why?: The format may have changed but the developers at Bethesda are doing it just right. They've managed to translate the wide-open appeal of the Elder Scrolls games to the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Fallout and the results already impress me. After a lengthy hands-on session, I'm even more convinced that the VATS combat system adds a much-needed tactical RPG element to the game, and I'm continually captivated by the details of the world. Now all I need to see is how the main storyline plays out.

2) Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Genre: Persistent Online RPG
Developer: Mythic Entertainment
Why?: You'd think that finally getting access to the beta would assuage my anticipation somewhat, but it's had exactly the opposite effect. After playing through the beta, I'm even more excited to explore the world fully populated by other players. The awesome Warhammer license is a great alternative to the usual medieval fantasy MMO, and the great realm-versus-realm gameplay nicely introduces players into the hardcore PVP action that makes the game so appealing.

1) Spore
Why?: Jason dropped this one down a bit on his list and I've got to agree that my expectation is, if not exactly waning, at least a little boring and predictable. Still, I'm incredibly anxious to finally get my hands on Will Wright and Co.'s ambitious evolution simulator. We've already expounded on the game's appeal in previous features so all I'll say at this point is that everything seems to be coming together in just the right ways for this one and we're just as hopeful as ever that it will live up to our high expectations.

Other Games Worth Noting: Though I don't often linger in the deep end of the pool, I'm also interested to see what the World of Warcraft expansion Wrath of the Lich King has to offer. Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge seem poised to offer up some platform satisfaction and it'll be interesting to see how well those games do on the PC and how open-ended the pathways are in Mirror's Edge. I'm intentionally trying to remain a bit ignorant on the Left 4 Dead front, mostly because I want to be surprised by the title when I first sit down to play it. But even so, I'm definitely excited to see what it has to offer.

Turn the page for Charles Onyett's picks.

Charles' Post-E3 Most Anticipated Games of 2008

10) Quake Live
Developer: id Software
Publisher: id Software
Why?: So yeah, it's not a new game. In fact, it's almost 10 years old at this point. Quake Live is, though touched up in spots, basically Quake III Arena. The thing is, I loved Quake III Arena, and getting a chance to dive into an updated version of the game with a whole new player base, which hopefully includes more people less skilled at railgunning me in the eye from all the way across a map, is definitely something I'm looking forward to. Hopefully id Software can make its free-to-play model work.

9) Dead Space
Genre: Third-Person Action
Developer: EA Redwood Shores
Why?: In this game you're running around by yourself on a star ship inhabited with all sorts of hostile nasties, most of which seem to have tentacles of some kind. Sounds pretty solid. I haven't gotten to play it yet, but from what I've seen at events it seems it could be good for a scare and maybe provide some decent gameplay. I'd also like to point out I'm a sucker for anything that combines horror, gore, and sci-fi elements in any way. I've seen Event Horizon over 10 times, and each viewing was voluntary. If you watch it as a comedy, it's not that bad!

8) Mirror's Edge
Genre: First-Person Action-Adventure
Developer: DICE Sweden
Why?: After I first saw this game, I thought about what I liked so much about it, and realized I was just so dazzled by the visuals that I didn't actually remember what the gameplay was supposed to be like. So, going back and seeing the game again at E3, I still think it's going to be a good one, but I'm curious about how open-ended the game will be. Sure the free-running action elements look slick and the Bourne Identity-like first-person shaky cam seems to work to the game's advantage, but am I really going to have fun with it if I'm just running in a straight line the whole way through? We'll see.

7) Penumbra: Requiem
Genre: First-Person Adventure
Developer: Frictional Games
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Why?: Requiem is the third game in the Penumbra series that's supposed to pick up after the events of Black Plague, and the latter was the most unsettling game I'd played since Monolith's Condemned: Criminal Origins. The setting's great, the scares genuine, the atmosphere powerful even with the rough graphical edges, and the puzzles generally make sense because a lot of them are based on physics. It's a series that provides for a truly affecting experience, outclassing a large number of games out there with significantly larger budgets.

6) Left 4 Dead
Developer: Valve
Publisher: Valve
Why?: It's not just round-based mayhem with one team trying to score more points than another. It's a squad of four human survivors picking up weapons and battling across maps with a start and end point against hordes of fast-moving zombies (or infected, as they're called). Instead of emphasizing the one-man army approach, each teammate needs to rely on others for healing, revives, and added firepower. Then, if you get sick of playing with guns, you can swap over to the infected side and actually control the boss zombies. It's an online shooter that may actually be able to make you think and feel instead of just shoot and yell.

5) Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Genre: Persistent Online RPG
Developer: Mythic Entertainment
Why?: It seems like it'll be user-friendly, as all sorts of your characters' actions are recorded in a Tome of Knowledge, and there'll hopefully be some thrilling large scale PvP battles with Mythic's realm versus realm combat setup. Here's hoping the grind's not too bad. I'm also really looking forward to see how the launch period goes, as it's always a good time comparing big MMO releases against each other. Like, will Warhammer be smooth like LotRO? Rough like Age of Conan? Rough like Vanguard? I'll be there on day one to find out.

4) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Developer: GSC Game World
Publisher: Deep Silver
Why?: I was one of those people who loved GSC's Shadow of Chernobyl, glaring flaws and all. It just had such a powerful atmosphere that I felt I had to explore, had to find out what was happening in the Zone, even if many of the game's systems didn't really work as well as they should have. With Clear Sky, a prequel that hooks directly into the start of things in Shadow of Chernobyl, GSC says they're addressing many of the complaints about the first game. I hope that's true!

3) Far Cry 2
Why?: Ubisoft Montreal is trying a different setting with this, the plains of Africa, which moves it away from the look of Crytek's original. But what's got me most intrigued is how the narrative and "buddy" systems will work. From what Ubisoft's said, they'll all dynamically interact with each other, condensing a wide range of narrative possibilities into what appears to be a pre-set experience, and that experience is always changing depending on whatever actions you take. And then, of course, there's the fact that you can ignite virtual brush fires to distract or scare off enemies.

2) Fallout 3
Why?: It's about time this franchise got a reboot. The original Fallout is still among one of my faviorite RPGs. Hell, I even started playing again recently and have been having a great time. Bethesda's changing a whole lot about the game with the franchise's third entry. No more isometric perspective. No more charmingly animated dialogue sequences with important NPCs. Though I've played the game for a bit, I'm still anxious to see if it can maintain the sardonically optimistic tone of the original, and deliver the same kind of emotional impact through strong writing and presentation.

1) Spore
Why?: Yeah... Spore's been in development for a while and I keep putting it on lists like this at the number one or close to number one spot for a reason: it's by far the most intriguing game on the release calendar for the rest of the year. There's so much in terms of genres, gameplay styles, and creative possibilities the game incorporates, it's still difficult to really wrap your head around all that can be done with it. And now that its early September release is only about a month away, we'll all soon get to see what Will Wright and Maxis have been able to do.

Other Games Worth Noting: The release dates of my other anticipated games are still floundering out somewhere in 2009. Creative Assembly's Empire: Total War and Relic's Dawn of War II would definitely be near the top of this list if it didn't cut off at 2008, as would Blizzard's StarCraft II, which we still don't really have a release date for. As for what's left this year, I'll definitely be checking out Project Origin, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Crysis Warhead, and BattleForge looks like it could be interesting. Red Alert 3 is also on the list, and Battlefield Heroes could be interesting -- or not. Hopefully I'll have time to play all these. Between my assigned reviews, events like Games Convention and Tokyo Game Show, and life in general, there's not going to be a lot of free time.

my most anticipated is spore

I really am hoping to get to play the World in Conflict expansion: Soviet Assault.

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Around the Network

My most anticipated is Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir.

Spore is mine, unless Starcraft II somehow gets a 2008 release.

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

Left 4 Dead right here!

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

My most is Spore with a huge margin, then Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge. I'm wondering how can anyone put Spore only in 9th position, but I suppose it's an opinion

It's a toss up between Spore and the NWN2 expansion.