By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did any sense of "patriotism" play a role in you buying an Xbox 360?

No. That would be a completely stupid reason to buy a console.

I bought it on launch day because I loved the first 'box and it had some good-looking games.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
DTG said:

As we all know the Xbox sells very well all but exclusively in America and while that is largely attributable to a video game library catering to American tastes I'm curious if a sense of "patriotism" played any role in anyones decision when choosing the original Xbox or Xbox 360 over rival consoles?

American consumers in most cases bare no care for patriotism. If this was the case our GDP would be much stronger than it is. We're a very open minded market (possibly the most open minded in the world) and focus ONLY on what interests us individually. Buying a 360 for me had nothing to do with patriotism. I had a PS2 before. I focus only on the console that shows the most promise in landing larger libraries and interesting games. Im getting a PS3, but right now it's still not interesting me as much as the 360. The only games that I want on the PS3 is Tekken, MGS4 and Infamous. Americans don't exactly consider American made products to be things of value once they move up in the world, either it's Japanese or European made from there. American good represent grass roots humble vehicles, much like the Japanese...just they do it better. We owe no one loyalty over here. The 360's price is more appealing, the library is very appealing and the online experience is extremely appealing. Those are just my two cents. 

Oh yeah...also. No lone country in the world will dominate the sales of America for a hot item. We have the highest rate of purchase for videogame systems. We also like great prices.

If you want patriotic games MGS4 is the most American patriotic exclusive hot title and it's made by the Japanese. You do the math.

RolStoppable said:
I hate the Patriots and I am glad that they lost the last Super Bowl.

Based on Japanese peoples purchasing habits, they would be more patriotic than Americans.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=35302
" After having watched this overrated but mediocre movie it's hard not to be beaten over the head with all the apparent coincidential similarities to MGS.

Batmans raspy voice, which came out quite forced seemed like a nod to David Hayters Solid Snake as the two characters sounded essentially alike (besides the fact that SS sounds much more natural having done this voice for over a decade)

The thematics and pseudo philosophies of TDK also quite overtly borrowed from MGS. The themes of chaos, control, manipulation, heroes, anarchy, etc were simply too numerous to be considered merely nods to MGS. Much like The Matrix practically ripped off Ghost in the Shell (and did a poor job at that) TDK quite shamefully borrowed almost complete lines from Kojima's games. Some of the lines of being a hero (or not being one), of chaos and control were so similar to dialogue used in MGS that it felt almost distracting while watching the movie.

That TDK made such shallow use of Kojima's deep thematics was ever so aggrivating, not to mention the fact that I had not see the director or writer admit to MGS serving as an obvious influence is what makes this all the more shameful. "

Another great thread! bravo!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

Actully it was Halo 3 that made me buy a 360, and the fact i had a lot of spare cash around december 2006.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

I am thinking about buying a X360 but most likely second hand and not signing up to Live because for some reason my conscience won't let me give money to Microsoft, i am not kidding i was looking at the Lost Odyssey Pro bundle for £220 and in my head i was thinking good value for money, my conscience was however saying "don't give money to evil organization" and i have no idea why... so yes there is patriotism in my future purchase of a X360 but its ANTI patriotism.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

I am American and I would not buy an Xbox or any other Microsoft made hardware. Maybe a mouse or keyboard, but nothing else.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

I bought a 360 for its game library. I am in fact attracted to things that are Japanese more than I am attracted to things that are American... they are usually well built, quality products.  That goes for cars too, not just electronics. 

I bought a 360 for Mass Effect, Fable 2, and Gears. Where the console was made had no importance whatsoever.