By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mole attack: 360 price cuts on all hardware in September

Bitmap Frogs said:

It's big savings. Of course the GPU will be cheaper to make (cpu already at 65nm) but it'll also reduce motherboard complexity (savings), power brick will also be simpler (savings) and they might get some extra savings on logistics since the whole package is lighter.

Anyways, MS will not subsidize the console anymore so you can be pretty sure the numbers work out at the end.

Why would a "cheaper to make GPU" reduce motherboard complexity? It's still the same chip... Where are the "big savings" in your calculation? Do you really think a $199 endprice Xbox makes profit?

Around the Network

Will these ship with Microsofts wiimote ripoff or will they hold that for their next console?

I certainly hope Sony is prepared to move against this move from Microsoft, because Microsoft will own NA if this is true.

drkohler said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

It's big savings. Of course the GPU will be cheaper to make (cpu already at 65nm) but it'll also reduce motherboard complexity (savings), power brick will also be simpler (savings) and they might get some extra savings on logistics since the whole package is lighter.

Anyways, MS will not subsidize the console anymore so you can be pretty sure the numbers work out at the end.

Why would a "cheaper to make GPU" reduce motherboard complexity? It's still the same chip... Where are the "big savings" in your calculation? Do you really think a $199 endprice Xbox makes profit?

The cpu is %35 cheaper to make, reduced power brick size is cheaper, shipping costs could go down if it is significantly lighter.

super_etecoon said:

There's irony in them hills.  Don't worry...you'll get me next time.  And trust me...there will be a next time...just keep your eyes peeled.

I'd rather not. It sounds painful.

Around the Network

Great for MSFT, if true. Next stop, 45nm Valhalla CPU/GPU hybrid for '09. Any guesses for that price point?

Microsoft dropped their price $50 in two years. There is no way they drop the core $80. Unless they are phasing it out due to poor sales and focusing on the 60 gig and 120 gig.

cleveland124 said:
Microsoft dropped their price $50 in two years. There is no way they drop the core $80. Unless they are phasing it out due to poor sales and focusing on the 60 gig and 120 gig.

I would agree with you there, cleveland.

Rock_on_2008 said:
I hope this news is not true. PS3 sales could be affected in America if we see a price cut over the three X360 models in America.

LOL!

God I love you Rock_on :)

This would be great for GAMING, but since it could "hurt the PS3" you hope it isn't true!

Ever consider this could force Sony to drop prices on the PS3 as well?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

cleveland124 said:

MS has been making a profit off the Core system for some time. If there is any console that they could drop $80, its the Core.

Remember, it is not uncommon for consoles to drop prices each year after launch.

Popular wisdom (which could very well be wrong) is that MS was prepared to cut price in 2006 when the PS3 and WIi launched, but since both consoles (esp the PS3) were released at such high prices, they didn't think it necessary.

In 2007, the RROD problem and the need to drop $1b on the extended warranties is what stopped MS from doing anything more than the 20/50/30 drop.

This year, with the anticipated lifetime cost of the RROD covered in last year's expense, a third, even cheaper iteration of the 360 architechture starting to roll off the lines, and the pressure being put on them by the revamped and repriced PS3, it is very conceivable that MS can not only cut prices, but do so aggressively.