By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mole attack: 360 price cuts on all hardware in September

kilik said:
OK price for Arcade and Pro 60 GB, but $399 is still too expensive for Elite. I mean $100 extra for a bit more hard drive space? Elite should be $349.

Hey...Microsoft deserves to make profit, because they made sure their hard drive was iron clad. Sony was dumb enough to make a hard drive that could easily be replaced.

Around the Network
shams said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
I hope this news is not true. PS3 sales could be affected in America if we see a price cut over the three X360 models in America.

LOL!

God I love you Rock_on :)

This would be great for GAMING, but since it could "hurt the PS3" you hope it isn't true!

Ever consider this could force Sony to drop prices on the PS3 as well?

That would be a stab in the heart to Sony. They cannot afford to drop price any further, while not making profit. This is the very reason they extended the lifespan of the PS3. If they drop price to compete, they will hurt themselves with even more billion dollar losses. Microsoft has already broken even and is making profit, so they can afford to drop price.

halogamer1989 said:
cleveland124 said:

Bitmap, be realistic here.  They have the worker's salaries, the utility costs for running the facilities, shipping costs, administrative salaries, and advertising.  These costs are either the same or increasing from the prior year.  It's not as simple as the sum of the compenents = $195 so we can sell it at $199 for a profit.  It's also unlikely that manufacturing gains will accelerate.  So I find it hard to believe that the 360 that has been selling at a loss for nearly 3 years suddenly has such gains that it can drop the price 12%-29% and gain profitability.

Also, $199 does nothing for Microsoft at this point.  $249 with a game or $229 set Microsoft up perfectly to compete with the Wii and are much cheaper than a 360 has been opening it up to new gamers.  $199 while often considered mass market does nothing for them if the consumers are ready for it yet.  Consumers could see it as fallout from the RROD and be scared away, or it could confirm that 360 is less powerful than the PS3 and they could decide to wait for Sony to drop prices.

They could throw Lips or something in there with the supposed $199 Arcade but of course, if confirmed, they won't due to the casual dash update, 1 vs 100, primetime, etc.

OFT

DMeisterJ said:
It hasn't even been seen what effect (if any) the sixty gig would have on sales. Wouldn't MS want to focus on that first, and if it's well received, they could save a few million dollars by not dropping the price.

@ stickball.

I'm sure the new boards come out, but are they going to save, on average, 50 dollars on each 360 sold by the smaller chipset?

If not, then some loss would have to be accepted with a price drop, especially on the Arcade.

I'll put this into the "probably rumor" pile right now.

You assume a few (wrong) things:

1) You assume that the Xbox 360 is either breaking even, or barely making a profit

2) That the Jasper chipset has to drop prices on the X360 by $50 to be worthwhile.

The issue with that is that Microsoft, by all estimations is making a killing on the Xbox 360 hardware by now. iSupply, in November 2006, tore the Xbox 360 down, and showed that component + manufacturing costs were around $323.00 to build. This was before the Falcon (but also before the 2nd heatsink). In the same briefing, they state the PS3 was around $800 to build. And for all rumors and stories, seems to of been the actual cost per console.

So do you REALLY think that in 20 months, the Xbox 360 costs $23 less to make, whereas the Playstation 3 costs $400 less to make? C'mon! I am certain that the Arcade, at $199, will still be a profitable venture for Microsoft, just like the PS3 is closing in on profitability. Want some answers? Microsoft trims Xbox 360 costs by 40% in 1 year. TG Daily states that the 65nm GPU's have been in production since May. Lets assume a 2-3 month lead time from production and acqusition to retail (which is now). That TG link also has information about the 'Xbox 560' which will be similar to the PS2 slim, which should launch next year around the same time.

So even if Jasper doesn't reduce the price $50 (which it seems that the 60GB revision has included far more than just the HDD, as the packages weigh 2lbs less than the standard 20GB pro's), it is very unlikely that it's preventing them from making money on the console, on a per-unit sold basis.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Bitmap Frogs said:
cleveland124 said:

Bitmap, be realistic here.  They have the worker's salaries, the utility costs for running the facilities, shipping costs, administrative salaries, and advertising.  These costs are either the same or increasing from the prior year.  It's not as simple as the sum of the compenents = $195 so we can sell it at $199 for a profit.  It's also unlikely that manufacturing gains will accelerate.  So I find it hard to believe that the 360 that has been selling at a loss for nearly 3 years suddenly has such gains that it can drop the price 12%-29% and gain profitability.

Also, $199 does nothing for Microsoft at this point.  $249 with a game or $229 set Microsoft up perfectly to compete with the Wii and are much cheaper than a 360 has been opening it up to new gamers.  $199 while often considered mass market does nothing for them if the consumers are ready for it yet.  Consumers could see it as fallout from the RROD and be scared away, or it could confirm that 360 is less powerful than the PS3 and they could decide to wait for Sony to drop prices.

I know the official party line these days (heck, all the users pushing sony agenda have been repeating it like mad as of late) is that MS is willing to lose whatever money it takes to take down the caritative Sony that pricedropped the ps2 for the xbox launch, but really... for starters, there's no proof that they are still selling the hardware at a loss - in fact the hints suggest rather that they've been making some dime off the hardware for some time already. Then you mix up a whole bunch of costs when we are talking just about the console itself, not the whole division. Nice derail attempt there but it won't work - at all. Either you reply to my points about the specific savings on the console or you don't reply anymore, but don't derail this bunching in the whole division while conveniently ignoring other sources of revenue like software, gold, accesories, etc.

You are just scared a 199$ arcade might end up crushing the ps3 like the rest of sony fandom is.

I meant to QFT this one, not the last one. Man this forum is different from what im used to, lol. The quote button is usually overhead. 

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
DMeisterJ said:
It hasn't even been seen what effect (if any) the sixty gig would have on sales. Wouldn't MS want to focus on that first, and if it's well received, they could save a few million dollars by not dropping the price.

@ stickball.

I'm sure the new boards come out, but are they going to save, on average, 50 dollars on each 360 sold by the smaller chipset?

If not, then some loss would have to be accepted with a price drop, especially on the Arcade.

I'll put this into the "probably rumor" pile right now.

You assume a few (wrong) things:

1) You assume that the Xbox 360 is either breaking even, or barely making a profit

2) That the Jasper chipset has to drop prices on the X360 by $50 to be worthwhile.

The issue with that is that Microsoft, by all estimations is making a killing on the Xbox 360 hardware by now. iSupply, in November 2006, cost around $323.00 to build. This was before the Falcon (but also before the 2nd heatsink). In the same briefing, they state the PS3 was around $800 to build. And for all rumors and stories, seems to of been the actual cost per console.

So do you REALLY think that in 20 months, the Xbox 360 costs $23 less to make, whereas the Playstation 3 costs $400 less to make? C'mon! I am certain that the Arcade, at $199, will still be a profitable venture for Microsoft, just like the PS3 is closing in on profitability.

So even if Jasper doesn't reduce the price $50 (which it seems that the 60GB revision has included far more than just the HDD, as the packages weigh 2lbs less than the standard 20GB pro's), it is very unlikely that it's preventing them from making money on the console, on a per-unit sold basis.

Good information.

I added a few more interesting links about Xbox 360 costs.

40% reduction in cost from initial date of manufacture (Sept/Oct 05) to ~ November 2006.

Xbox 360 Slim to launch next year with the all-in-one valhalla chip.

And some other stuff. At any rate, Microsoft is very good at getting the cheapest, best deals for their system. Just like Sony and Nintendo are.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I find it highly suspect when anyone claims that Microsoft could not perform such a price drop due to profitability. Then in the next sentence mention the ability of Sony to match such a price drop. That shows a discreet lack of critical thought. Sony are the ones in the real financial bind. Their gaming division may have turned a modest profit last quarter, but that is not because the PS3 has reached production price parody. Which does nothing for the huge money pit the console already carved out getting there.

Everyone is oblivious to the divisions expansion with the shift of Sony Online Entertainment. Which was actually part of Sony Pictures prior to the move. Though poorly thought of by gamers did bring in roughly two hundred million dollars last year for Sony. Shows what you can do when you have a stable of old products you squeeze for every penny. Then you have the PS2 and the PSP both profitable products, and a plethora of development houses. Basically it is not that the PS3 has been profitable merely that it is not bleeding as much money as it once was.

Microsoft is in a far different situation. They have four advantages Sony does not have. The first advantage is the longer production run, and that latest cost cutting iteration. The Second is Microsoft holding firm on pricing the price of the console has hardly moved in comparison to the PS3. Third Microsoft gains a secondary revenue stream from their console, and it helps to defer pricing losses. Effectively the longer a customer pays for Live the less Microsoft lost on initial sale. Sony can never directly recoup hardware losses. Except through licensing which is number four. Microsoft has more licensing to feed off of then Sony. The attach rate on their console is wonderful, and with it growing it will help defer costs further.

What some here believe is that currently the 360 is hardly profitable. However there is no actual proof of that. The machine resides within a division that is reported as a whole, and there are a great many products within that division both present and future. That is not even including research. For all we know the hardware may be far more profitable then many suspect. In fact given the other price cuts this year it is probably very likely that is the case. This would not be the first time this year Microsoft would have cut eighty dollars off of one of its consoles.

Would such a price cut be effective. Yes it would be very effective. The arcade would be at a mass consumption price, and any poster who claims to be concerned should be. Not only would that price hurt the PS3, but it would also really hurt the PS2. After all it would be hard to argue that a Arcade with a game included is not a superior product to a eight year old last gen console. Which means if this price is true the PS2 would probably be pushed out of the North American market by years end. That would hurt Sony, and make any PS3 price cutting that much harder.

I think this is probable, because Microsoft has done the same thing in other markets earlier this year. Not only that but it would be the perfect move to really grind PS3 sales to a halt.

cleveland124 said:
misterd said:

MS has been making a profit off the Core system for some time. If there is any console that they could drop $80, its the Core.

Remember, it is not uncommon for consoles to drop prices each year after launch.

Popular wisdom (which could very well be wrong) is that MS was prepared to cut price in 2006 when the PS3 and WIi launched, but since both consoles (esp the PS3) were released at such high prices, they didn't think it necessary.

In 2007, the RROD problem and the need to drop $1b on the extended warranties is what stopped MS from doing anything more than the 20/50/30 drop.

This year, with the anticipated lifetime cost of the RROD covered in last year's expense, a third, even cheaper iteration of the 360 architechture starting to roll off the lines, and the pressure being put on them by the revamped and repriced PS3, it is very conceivable that MS can not only cut prices, but do so aggressively.

Let's take a trip to reality.  http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=205656

Microsoft is finally making a profit on the 360.  $426 Million so far through 2008.  Guess what, all the production and cost savings you talked about are inlcuded in that figure.  They lost close to $2 billion last year.  If things go well for Microsoft the remaining portion of 2008 and sells 10 million.  This $50 price cut will cost them $500 million.  Reality is they are not going to throw away  Their first full year of profit.  Shareholders are getting very restless with the losses.  Nintendo has shown that breaking even doesn't cut it in the video game industry.  They may drop the price $50, but the most likely result is Sony will drop the price of the PS3 $50 mitimizing the increase in sales and taking away profits. 

The Core may make a profit now.  But a price drop of 29% is unheard of in electronics.  Additionally, it is very unlikely they make $80 profit on each model.

Unheard of? Like when the PS2 and XBox each dropped from $300 to $200? You cannot name one console that launched for $300 and was not down to $200 within 3 years. I do not find it improbable that in this time, which has included now 3 hardware changes (original to Zephyr to Falcon to Jasper) MS has reduced the hardware costs by about a third. Ifthey have  

It is typical for consoles to drop in price each year.  But, no console has been as complex as either the 360 or PS3.  And until Microsoft, came into the market, the loss leading strategy was typically short lived 1 year of losses versus a generation of losses.

You do know that Microsoft lost $2 billion in 07 right?  Yes, $1 B was warranty expense but another $1 B was straight up losses.

So until Microsoft's financial's start to look rosier I'm going to go out on a ledge and say that are in denial of reality and grossly overestimating the cost savings that Microsoft has incurred. 

And you know that MS's XBox division posted $420m in profit this year. If we ignore the roughly $1b in losses the previous year due to RROD, that means MS had a $1.3b turnaround in just one year. 

Let's say for argument's sake you are right and MS has not lowered the cost of the Core to $200. We know it was profiting a year ago, so that means the cost then was less than $280, and the new chipset is even cheaper. Let's say they knocked the cost down to $240. That means they'll be losing $40 on each Core console (which I doubt). Let's also assume that they will take similar hits on the Premium and Elite. That means that they'd be losing roughly $400m on console manufacturing and sales. If MS experiences similar growth next year as compared to this, they could easily take that hit and still turn a profit. In the end the one thing that most benefits MS here is expanding the consumer base.

Let's look at the yearly numbers again. In 2008, sales via the 360 were roughly $8b. That was up from about $6b the previous year. That was about 30% growth in profit during at time the user base grew 100% (from about 10m last July, to 20m this July). MS is looking for similar growth (to 30m) over the next 12 months, and I would be amazed if it didn't see a similar increase in sales (another $2b or so) due to that increased user base. That makes it very easy for them to absorb the costs of manufacturing and still maintain a healthy profit in that division.

Ugh...most people don't even understand how the mass market responds to price drop after the first 3 years. At least some do, but it's sad the small amount.