By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Afrika Renamed Hakuna Matata Outside Of Japan

I think yall are missing the point. But most people do on these forums anyways.

I'm sure Sony has been able to get around it thus there has been no legal action. I mean Disney has to have copyrights to that song and the title but I'm guessing only for use as in a musical piece. Thus being used as a gaming title wouldn't infringe the copyright.

Instead of acting ignorant how about we discuss the rename which most seem to be disgusted about. I mean its not a great name but I mean shouldn't judge things simply by a title. They can be deceiving. I mean Zack and Wiki and the subtitle to it isn't a great title at all but the game kicks ass.

Around the Network

Disney's Hakuna Matata

I'd also like to add that a lot of people on this thread have no idea how copyright law works...

It's a wonderful phrase.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase

Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy

Hakuna Matata!

Hakuna Matata?

Yeah. It's our motto!

What's a motto?

Nothing. What's a-motto with you?

Those two words will solve all your problems

That's right. Take Pumbaa here
Why, when he was a young warthog...

When I was a young wart hog

Very nice

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Zucas said:

I'm sure Sony has been able to get around it thus there has been no legal action. I mean Disney has to have copyrights to that song and the title but I'm guessing only for use as in a musical piece. Thus being used as a gaming title would infringe the copyright.

Instead of acting ignorant how about we discuss the rename which most seem to be disgusted about. I mean its not a great name but I mean shouldn't judge things simply by a title. They can be deceiving. I mean Zack and Wiki and the subtitle to it isn't a great title at all but the game kicks ass.

Let me say this again.

YOU CAN'T COPYRIGHT A PHRASE.

You can trademark one, but there are a billion ways around trademarks. Trademarked slogans aren't that big a deal. It's like running an advertising campaign with the phrase, "It'll be okay". You can't just instantly have all rights to that phrase just because you trademarked it with your advertisements! Seriously.

"Hakuna matata" is a phrase with real meaning and real history. And it originates way before The Lion King ever came out.

SW-5120-1900-6153

It means no worries, for the rest of your days!!!!!

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

thetonestarr said:
Zucas said:

I'm sure Sony has been able to get around it thus there has been no legal action. I mean Disney has to have copyrights to that song and the title but I'm guessing only for use as in a musical piece. Thus being used as a gaming title would infringe the copyright.

Let me say this again.

YOU CAN'T COPYRIGHT A PHRASE.

You can trademark one, but there are a billion ways around trademarks. Trademarked slogans aren't that big a deal. It's like running an advertising campaign with the phrase, "It'll be okay". You can't just instantly have all rights to that phrase just because you trademarked it with your advertisements! Seriously.

"Hakuna matata" is a phrase with real meaning and real history. And it originates way before The Lion King ever came out.

Geez chill out bro. First of all I was talkign about the song... and you can copyright songs by the way.

Secondly no one in here is denying that they found away around whatever Disney has otherwise this wouldn't have been allowed to be announced. Geez people freak over everything.

Will it have Simba references :)

Fanboys? Hahaha, go into my profile and pay attention to what I own, eh? Way to speak way too quickly.

You said in your post, "Disney has to have copyrights to that song and the title".

The title is a common Swahili phrase. They cannot have a copyright on it. Period.

SW-5120-1900-6153