By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Soul Calibur 4. My first impressions.

Note: I'll probably update this continously. For starters i won't spoil. But if i do at any section i will mark it with "spoiler" in caps.

I started up the game and i'd say it started very cool. You enter the menu, which is very little arcade like compaired to previous games and tekken games. Infact i could barely notice any references to the "arcady" look these types of games usually has. Overall it feels much more like a regular games menu than a fighters.

STORY:

------------------------------

Note. The following is regarding the story mode. If you do not wish to know how it is built/set up then please refrain from reading any further. It could also contain small spoilers such as the amount of stages in the story mode and perhaps small entrys on the chars. I've completed it with.

First thing you notice is a HUGE WALL OF TEXT (but this is pretty normal for a soul calibur game, however, you will soon find that the entry wall of text is practically the only text you will read throughout the game which spots no more than 5 stages. (A little dissapointing) However, each of these stages has a bunch of enemys with rarely more than two having only a single opponent. Instead there are 3-4 opponents on most stages.

Another thing that struck me a little odd is the limited campaign. Unlike any previous soul calibur (or the soul edge) games you haven't gotten one single choise throughout the campaign indicating in any way where you wish to go. I will say that it's very cinematic and explains most things with cinematics, although these often last no longer than 20-30 seconds. A good time for a fighter, but bad for a game with a deep story that isn't at all explained. Infact i'd say that most of the chars stories (i also have soul calibur 3) makes no sense at all to me what so ever. Example from one of the walls of text, it goes something like this: And there he was at this random location not mentioned in the previous game. blablablabla angry blabla pirate "HURR" now he followed his destiny and blabla more destiny the end. Ofcourse it's very much like the prevous game, cept that a lot of the stories has practically no relation to the end stories of the last game.. or barely their stories at all. Ofcourse the overall plot is the same. Nightmare VS Sigfried.

Thers also (ofcourse) a new last boss, although he is only boss sometimes. Other times it's nightmare or another main char. So far i also have no clue as to who he is or why he is in the game. I expect to learn more from his wall of text when i play through with him.. but again, in previous games you atleast got a hint of their objectives. It's like they just put him in cause they didn't know what the hell else to do.

EDIT1: Well you get to learn a lot more of the story by playing with the different chars, and i think i've gotten a hang of a lot of it. But i was really strung by the linear proceeding of the story and the fact that it's so short (compaired to previous games) but in a way i think it fits (some of it anyways) Overall i think it's pretty cool. Very tekken like in many ways. No CGI during cutscenes, but it isn't really needed either.

GAMEPLAY AND CHARS:

------------------------------

Now that i've stopped whining about the story. I'll say this though, the gameplay is Fucking Awesome !

Playing as Darth Vader

gives you an imidiate sense of power and control. You can't help but get immersed (even though he doesen't fit in the universe) when he goes "You Don't Know The Power Of The Dark Side" YEAH ! Force powers also seem very cool but they can take a little to get the hang off. The best thing i've done with him so far though was to Grab an opponent and while he was strangling in the air i threw a "fireball" (dunno what else to call it) at him and he flew the hell outta there.

Every char also seems to have been improved a lot in the way they play, move and animations are much more smooth than previous installments.

EDIT1: It seems that many of the chars are much more balanced and it's very easy to lean into a char you haven't played before. Every char also feels overpowered which is always nice XD (when you are the one playing with it)

If you've red this far i congratulate you. :p I will be adding some more to the topic once i've played it a bit more. I might also try to sort the OP text out a bit if it becomes difficult to read. :)

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

I might get it.What did you get it for.

Sales predictions end of 08' (2008-7-27)

• PS3: 20. million
  • X360: 23. million
  • WII: 40. million        

PS3 to surpass X360 WW sales by Q2 2009

Never mined.

Sales predictions end of 08' (2008-7-27)

• PS3: 20. million
  • X360: 23. million
  • WII: 40. million        

PS3 to surpass X360 WW sales by Q2 2009

POOKEE said:
I might get it.What did you get it for.

529 kr

or... $110

Average price of a ps3 game here.. (Denmark) :p

Check out my game about moles ^

I'm already 15 hours in the game and I played the story with every single character and I have to say that the Apprentice is the best character by far.

Very good fighter, but I still think SC2 is still the best in the series because of it's awesome Weapon Master mode.

Around the Network

I'll probably get this at the weekend

Yeah Staude, I had similar concerns about the story at first but as you beat the game with more characters you get more pieces of the puzzle. I won't spoil it but if you beat the game with Talim, you get find out a lot about the last boss and the Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. Come to think of it, its better to beat the game with Sophitia and then Talim.

I am digging the character creation mode. i play Everquest 2 and I have made all of my EQ2 characters in CC mode. Although I still am not a fan of SW characters being in the game, the Apprentice is fun to play as. I haven't gone on-line yet, but Yoda seems broken. As far as I can tell you can't grab Yoda, I know Yoda can grab. Yoda seems a bit overpowered, you can't grab him and he is hard to hit.

$110 for a PS3 game. Crap, a tad on the high side over there.

Some custom characters (not from me):

Here's a good link with more famous videogame and movie characters http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=156581

^ Here's a good video:

I can't wait to try this game myself. I really liked Soul Calibur II.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!