By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amazing new tech demo of Wii Motion Plus

@Naum: Well, my standards for waiting periods are obvious higher than those required by people waiting for FF13. 8 months is not THAT long, but it still feels like a long time to wait for this.

And then another waiting period for new games using this other than Wii Sports Resort... Oh well.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Wait, so what was the Wii's controls like before? I thought it was this good anyway, after all, that is the Wii's main selling point - motion control.

Basically Ninetendo is screwing around with the consumer.

MGS4!

@Q_A_X: Nintendo isn't screwing around, in fact those Gyroscopes were too expensive when the Wii got launched.

The Wii has had motion controls since launch, but not 1:1 3D motion controls since accelerometers alone can't give you accurate rotation and thrust sensing simultaneously.

Q_A_X said:

Wait, so what was the Wii's controls like before? I thought it was this good anyway, after all, that is the Wii's main selling point - motion control.

Basically Ninetendo is screwing around with the consumer.

Long answer:

Not 100%.

1. For the masses, seeing Matt Lauer and the fat Weather Guy playing Wii Tennis is enough to go get them to buy it.  Those casuals probably account for 30-40% (made up %) of the Wii primary buyers(i.e. people buying for themselves) waggle was good enough to get them to buy.

2. Next you have the hard core Nintendo fans, which are probably 30-40% (made up %), who will buy Nintendo products no matter what.

3. Then you have hard core who switched or added Wii.

4. The last group is people who buy the console for their kids and don't know what a Wii is.

Groups 2-3, and some of 4, care about precision and are looking forward to more of it.

I don't see buying this dongle being much different from buying a HDMI cable for a PS3, only a small group care and it doesn't make that big of a difference with most games.

Short answer:

Why do you even bother coming into Nintendo Discussions?  You never have any constructive criticism, just mild/not-so-stealthy trolling.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

@steven787: It should also be said that Wii controls' appeal goes farther than motion sensing. IR pointing also plays a big part, at least it certainly did for me when I decided to buy a Wii.

Around the Network

@NJ5: You're 100% (made up %) right.

Also Virtual Console is a big seller. Just look at those VC Software #'s they're amazing. Miles ahead of the competition.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

This is why I got the Wii, hoping it would be the accurate.
The tech demo is insane... now my only motion compliant is the nunchuck being inaccurate, but I can live with that... just give me motion plus...

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

One thing I wonder is whether certain core franchises (Zelda for example) and cross over games (Mario Tennis and Mario Golf) may not have been shown yet because they're going to heavily use the Wii MotionPlus?

With Technology like this a golf game (for example) could give you an 'assist' by trying to adjust your swing based on what you're trying to do and still make the game (mostly) skill based; this may not sound like an amazing thing but it could bridge the gap between people who want an amazingly deep experience with those who want a more fantasy experience.

Yeah, Nintendo should have definitely had this technology incoporated in the Wii-mote from the beginning. But I am willing to forgive Nintendo if they sale it for less than 10$ a piece. But I doubt Nintendo would be that nice to its consumers. Which is kind of sad because many wii owners thought the Wii-motes already had this technology.

FDR.

Forget First-day-buy. Its a First-day-reserve.

The biggest problem Nintendo has had with good perferrals is they can't make enough. See MK Wii, Wii Fit, etc.

This one will sell like hotcakes -- or better.

Now in an interview, Cammy talked about hoping developers would make new versions of some of their games to take advantage of it. Basically, I can see retail patches (or DL patches if Nintendo solves storage) to add 1-to-1 to some games. That would be sweet.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV