By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Successor under development.

I bet Microsoft is having some sort of new hardware development underway.

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)

Around the Network

I'm fairly certain this kind of thing is actually common with video game consoles. I can't find the actual quote, but I remember someone from Nintendo commenting on how everytime they release a console the next one goes into development. That's how it went with the Wii according to this old buisness week article.

How did you approach the redesign of the controller?

Miyamoto: We started work on the Wii around the time the GameCube went on sale in 2001. [Internally, the Wii had the codename "Revolution."] We started with the idea that we wanted to come up with a unique game interface.

Most of that time is probably researching and expiermenting with different concepts.

HappySqurriel said:

In order to properly complete the R&D necessary to create a console it usually takes several (as in 3 to 5) years for most companies ... This doesn't (necessarily) mean that they're looking at final hardware, but I suspect that they're dealing with their partners (Panasonic, AMD/ATi, and IBM) and looking at their semiconductor (and other hardware) road-maps and trying to plan the type of system they will produce.

It's surprising that people forget that the first news/rumors of the Cell processor actually started comming out at (roughly) the same time as the Gamecube/XBox were released ... Sony's (insane) early discussions about it was that the combination of high speed internet and highly parallel code would enable users to take advantage of the idle cycles of other PS3 owners consoles to produce amazing effects in game; the term Cell was used because it was supposed to represent a single cell in an organism.

Do you remember all the stuff about having a Cell on a fridge, tvs, and pcs in and later use them just to power up one aplication???

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

4 years time the new Nintendo console could be launched. A new console from the three companies could all launch in the same year, 2012.

RolStoppable said:
No surprise, that's just how it is in this industry. Once a hardware is finished, research for the next one starts.

Yep. The XBox 720 and PS4 are no doubt under development, and have been for a couple of years.

Around the Network

Of course it is. Did you think that when the Wii was released, Nintendo fired all of its engineers?

"See you guys in five years. No hard feelings."

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

FJ-Warez said:
HappySqurriel said:

In order to properly complete the R&D necessary to create a console it usually takes several (as in 3 to 5) years for most companies ... This doesn't (necessarily) mean that they're looking at final hardware, but I suspect that they're dealing with their partners (Panasonic, AMD/ATi, and IBM) and looking at their semiconductor (and other hardware) road-maps and trying to plan the type of system they will produce.

It's surprising that people forget that the first news/rumors of the Cell processor actually started comming out at (roughly) the same time as the Gamecube/XBox were released ... Sony's (insane) early discussions about it was that the combination of high speed internet and highly parallel code would enable users to take advantage of the idle cycles of other PS3 owners consoles to produce amazing effects in game; the term Cell was used because it was supposed to represent a single cell in an organism.

Do you remember all the stuff about having a Cell on a fridge, tvs, and pcs in and later use them just to power up one aplication???

Yeah ...

Conceptually, their ideas were not (that) bad but the reality is we're decades away from having the infastructure to produce a system like they were thinking, and even then one could assume that processing power would have grown to make the concept obsolete.

I wonder how the console will be.

PS: He didnt say is a succesor for the DS or for the Wii?

HappySqurriel is 100% correct.

This is how it has always been. The second a console is finalized, they start planning out the next one. Nintenod announcing they've begun work on the Wii successor isn't anything to be surprised about as he other two are doing the exact same thing.

I remember Sony bragging about the PS3 before the PS2 even launched.

Shin'ichi Okamoto, Sony's senior vice president of R&D, "We are working to create the PlayStation 3 game machine. It will have 1,000 times the performance of the PlayStation 2." - 1999.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

HappySqurriel said:

Hey, I remember that, but since nobody ever talked about it, I was kinda suspecting that I had dreamed the entire stuff up. Glad to see it was all real and I'm not losing it :)