By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo makes $1 billion profit for Q1 08

Another interesting fact:

Forecast they made in March for the ongoing fiscal year:

Net Sales: 1800 Billion Yen
Operating Income: 530 Billion Yen
Net Income: 325 Billion

They look like they're going to surpass their forecasts (as usual).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Wii LTD 29.62 M so they basically sold ( to retailers ) more than 5 million Wii in the quarter.
While DS LTD is 77.54 M so around 7 million units sold ( to retailers ) during this quarter.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Nintendo gets to pocket one dollar for every four that cross its palms. That kinda blows my mind.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

You know, with just a few years profits they could buy out pretty much all their major competitors in the publishing business in Japan. I mean if they're still posting these profits by the end of 2011 they could probably own Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Konami, Capcom and Sega with the money they made.

Not that I want them to, I just think its interesting how much they are dominating.

NJ5 said:
Another interesting fact:

Forecast they made in March for the ongoing fiscal year:

Net Sales: 1800 Billion Yen
Operating Income: 530 Billion Yen
Net Income: 325 Billion

They look like they're going to surpass their forecasts (as usual).

Conversion for US:
Net Sales: $16.68 Billion
Operating Income: $4.91 Billion
Net Income: $3.01 Billion

Conversion for Canada:
Net Sales: C$17.05 Billion
Operating Income: C$5.02 Billion
Net Income: C$3.08 Billion

Conversion for EU:
Net Sales: €10.71 Billion
Operating Income: €3.15 Billion
Net Income: €1.94 Billion

Conversion for UK:
Net Sales: £8.44 Billion
Operating Income: £2.48 Billion
Net Income: £1.52 Billion

Just for some perspective =P

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Has the forecast for Wii / DS hardware changed?

Unless I'm wrong, they plan to ship 50m (just under) Wii units by end of fiscal '08-'09 - another 20m units coming in the next 9 months!

(which is around 2.2m / month, which is about right given current production - at "sell out" levels. It also equates to about 480k per week, which isn't that far off what the current weekly sales are)

Very healthy figures, for what is considered the weakest (or 2nd weakest?) qrt of the year. Now can they repeat for next qrt...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I wonder what they are going to do with all that money, buy developers, make more new ips for core and causal or save it for rainy days?

kira hibiki said:
I wonder what they are going to do with all that money, buy developers, make more new ips for core and causal or save it for rainy days?

Its going towards Project Lakitu.  Which obviously is Nintendo's plot to build the world's largest money pillow.

On a more serious note it will likely get added to their existing pile'o'money and be used for game development, hardware development, employee wages, and many other company expenses.

To Each Man, Responsibility

You kidding, Why on earth would they give a shit about Hardcores anymore. After all its hardcores that are splitting the competitors sales in half with 10 min shipped each over the last year.

Congrats to Nintendo

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Have a question:

Back then Sony was using "shipped to our own warehouses" rather than "shipped to retailers",
do Nintendo and M$ are using "shipped to our own warehouses" or "shipped to retailers"?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far