By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Import WII with European adapter?

WiiGirl76 said:

I need some expertise about this problem. I've got a Japanese WII and I use it via my converter. Yesterday my converter all of the sudden turned off. This morning I called with the store where I've bought the step down converter and the person told me to check the fuse at first. Yes it was broken, so I want to a store and bought 10 fuses. All happy to start gaming again as I received finally my Harvest Moon version in, yesterday morning and wasn't able to check it.

Only, as soon as I put the wire of the WII into the converter the fuse breaks again. Tried it with my import Gamecube but with my Gamecube it works, until I put the wire of the WII adapter in the converter it's bye bye another fuse :-/. According to the game store the adapter of my WII is broken. He asked me what the output is from the adapter and according to him it's the same as the European adapter. Only the input is of course different. So he said, I can easily use the European adapter for my import WII. He ordered one at Nintendo, about 10 Euro more then the Japanese version. It's not a problem as it's easier to put it in the socket, unless the WII won't explode, because that's my worst nightmare.

Does anbody know about this? I know there are several people here on this forum working in a gamestore, or maybe someone has experience with this. According to the guy the Gamecube and SNES also had this you could use the European adapter with an import console. Can I indeed use without any problems an European adapter without any changes or without a worst case scenario?

Thanks in advance!

WiiGirl76,

I have a similar experience to yours: I have a North American Wii, rated at 110V, but I live in a country that uses 220V. I just checked the voltage ratings for the Netherlands (I believe you are located there?) and it's 220V. The Japanese Wii also uses 110V.

Sound familiar?

Anyhow, your problem is using a step-up converter in the first place! I had one for my imported PS2 (from Japan) but this was necessary because the original PS2's power supply was internal. The Wii, on the other hand, utilizes a brick-type adapter, so the power supply is effectively removed from the console's base unit.  In other words, the converter is unnecessary. What you need is to buy the power brick for 220V. I have one of these from a third-party manufacturer (loads of these where I live!) and it works a treat. I even leave my Wii on (not connected, but actually "on" with a game paused) for several days at a time and I never have any power issues.

If you can't find one of these locally, try contacting Nintendo of, say, UK or the Netherlands - or anywhere in Europe where they can sell you a replacement "brick". Failing that, you can PM me and I can send you information of retailers here who can deliver a brick to your location.

Oh, and I'd stop with the converter. If it's already giving you problems, chances are the voltage/amperage/wattage is slightly off, and may cause reliability problems down the line, even if it works now. Get the brick for your country's voltage. 

Good luck! 

Around the Network

Hi, thanks for your help guys, so what you're saying is that the guy who was pissed as I canceled the order, ordered the official European WII AC Adapter at first, was right all along? Well I'm using step down converters for over 4 years and never had problems with it and used the WII for over a half year with the converter. But if it can be assured to use the European WII AC Adapter without any problems I would rather have that. Converters make loud noices, smell bad and becoming very warm.

@Your Mother, as omgwtfbbq mentioned about the input 250 volt 50hz, what does your adapter say about the hz option? Mine says indeed 50/60 hz and my games are at 60hz, what will it do for the games when the adapter has only the option for 50hz?

The guy at that store could order the official Nintendo EU WII AC Adapter for me, so that would probably the best thing to do isn't? If so I'll call that guy again and ask if he'll get the adapter in as I wish to have it after all... he'll probably gets nuts :D

Once again, thanks in advance people! Really appreciate it!

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

WiiGirl76 said:
Hi, thanks for your help guys, so what you're saying is that the guy who was pissed as I canceled the order, ordered the official European WII AC Adapter at first, was right all along? Well I'm using step down converters for over 4 years and never had problems with it and used the WII for over a half year with the converter. But if it can be assured to use the European WII AC Adapter without any problems I would rather have that. Converters make loud noices, smell bad and becoming very warm.

@Your Mother, as omgwtfbbq mentioned about the input 250 volt 50hz, what does your adapter say about the hz option? Mine says indeed 50/60 hz and my games are at 60hz, what will it do for the games when the adapter has only the option for 50hz?

The guy at that store could order the official Nintendo EU WII AC Adapter for me, so that would probably the best thing to do isn't? If so I'll call that guy again and ask if he'll get the adapter in as I wish to have it after all... he'll probably gets nuts :D

Once again, thanks in advance people! Really appreciate it!

Yeah, I think he was right all along!

About the Hz issue, you'll have to wait until I get home to check!  However, this much I do know: We use essential identical voltage settings compared to the UK, if that's any help. In any case, I'll check tonight and let you know tomorrow morning (I'm ahead 6 hours).

But honestly, I seriously doubt that the EU adapter wouldn't work. It should be quite cheap anyhow - my 3rd party power brick cost me 20USD.

Anyhow, I'll update you on this. 

The electricity on the plug is AC (alternating current). There are 2 "big" standards for frequency/voltage, and a truckload of different plugs/sockets (for more have a look at wikipedia). The electricity on your Wii is DC (direct current), for which frequency is irrelevant.

Now, just about any brick adapter will state what input it expects (japanese adapters state 100V~50/60Hz, as expected; a european one states 230V~50Hz, also as expected; these numbers may vary a bit, and some adapters take just about anything 100-240V~50/60Hz), and the output it produces, which for the Wii is 12V=3.7A.

What all this means is: as long as the output is the same (and it seems to be), it's perfectly safe to plug a european adapter to a japanese Wii. As I've already said, frequency is irrelevant for output, as it's DC (notice they use the = instead of the ~, = means it's "constant" as in DC, and ~ means it "waves" as in AC). So don't worry about that. Also this is totally unrelated to the framerate of your games, you don't need to worry about that either.

I say, don't worry (repeating myself), and just buy the european adaptor. It's more power efficient and everything! And if anything gets messed up, it's because your Wii is already in serious trouble to begin with, and you need to get it fixed.

Just make sure whatever adapter you do buy (if you don't buy Nintendo's adapter, for instance) has exactly the same output as your current Wii adaptor (12V=3.7A).

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Double post, sorry!

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

Wow thank you, thank you again guys!

Well if I'll buy an adapter, I'll most definitely buy the Nintendo version, will else call that guy from the store to ask if he has canceled the order with Nintendo or not.

actually the frequency can make a difference, as the output of the adapter will not be exactly a flat line but will vary in time with the input frequency. As well as this, the adapter you use may be designed for a particular frequency in mind and as such using it with a slower frequency AC input could cause the output to vary even more. You should always buy adapters rated for what you plug it into. If the adapter says 60Hz then you should plug it into 60Hz. If it says 230v you should plug it into 230v. Most adapters are able to handle most standard AC input voltages.

What this means is that the European AC adapter is definitely your best bet. It is rated for the wall current that you have and as such is definitely the best option and will give your Wii the healthiest supply.

Also, always ALWAYS buy first party power supplies. Of all components, power supplies should be the LAST you cheap out on. No matter what the product. The power supply is the most important part and if it's cheap will often die quickly, and can also take out the unit with it. NEVER purchase cheap power supplies for any electronics

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I've just called with the store and the guy was very friendly. I explained the confusion with other stores about the whole adapter situation and he could really understand it. He ordered the adapters anyway from Nintendo, as he wishes to have them for his store, so as soon as they're coming in, hopefully today, he'll sent me an E-mail. Oh boy can't wait to get my WII started again! Am missing that little fella with playing :D

Told him that I was helped by a bunch of wonderful people at VGchartz ;) Really guys you helped me out a whole bunch! The seller also said, that I was better off with the European adapter, as the WII will get the right feeding. Not that using a converter is bad, but it's best to use them with consoles which have an build in adapter such as the PS2 has. Like several have mentioned here ;)

Indeed omgwtfbbq, power components I always buy first party, I even buy the component cables from first party developers, like I've bought the official Nintendo Component and Sony Playstation Component cable.

Edit: Oh Your Mother, you have a US WII? I'm slightly thinking about to get a US version as well in the future for several games and downloads.

WiiGirl76 said:

Edit: Oh Your Mother, you have a US WII? I'm slightly thinking about to get a US version as well in the future for several games and downloads.

Yep, a US Wii! Mine was imported from the US.

Regarding US vs Japanese Wiis: The US version plays Japanese titles more than the Japanese Wii plays US titles.

Neither version can play PAL imports as God (Iwata?) intended; they will load and run alright,  but since PAL runs in a higher resolution parts of the screen/UI can get cut off!

If you want to buy a US Wii, you also have to go through the same loopholes to buy Wii points. I originally had my Wii set to Somewhere, USA, but I couldn't pass the Visa verification process since the US is far stricter with regards to credit cards and they detected right away that my Visa was not registered in the US. Therefore, I had to change my console's location to Cartagena, Colombia where there was no verification process at all! I'm sure there are other country settings where you can exploit this loophole, but again, FYI.

Also... I guess I don't have to check my adapter's voltage specs now, since you are going ahead and buying the Euro brick?

Anyhow, do let us know how the new brick is working out for you! 

Wow, seems like if I bought the US WII I had myself a 2 in 1 version, oh but then again, I also have Japanese gamecube games and the Japanese shopping channel + voting channel are a real joy to visite. Plus I'm a real sucker for Japanese stuff :D

I don't know if Raving Rabbids 2 or a Mercury Meltdown will come to the Japanese WII. Mercury Meltdown is ridiculous expensive over here. Rabbids Party was sooooo much fun and I've seen the trailers with the developer of part two and I almost dropped on the ground of laughing, especially the piggy back riding trailer. Plus I'm addicted to Excite Truck ehe. So if part 2 comes out, it's mine!

May I ask where you bought yours?

Yes I always import the WII point cards from Asia. For 2 3000 WII Prepaid Cards saves me over 20USD comparing to what they have to pay over here. I'm not really fond of using my Credit Card everywhere, so these cards are a real pleasure!

Yes I'll be buying the European brick, so no need to check anymore, but thank you anyway ;)

Of course I will! I'll post it here as soon as the WII starts playing from happiness. I'm checking my mailbox all the time to see if there's any mail from the store to bring the news the adapters came in :D

Oh and Artofangels I will tell my first impressions about Harvest Moon ;)