By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Import WII with European adapter?

I need some expertise about this problem. I've got a Japanese WII and I use it via my converter. Yesterday my converter all of the sudden turned off. This morning I called with the store where I've bought the step down converter and the person told me to check the fuse at first. Yes it was broken, so I want to a store and bought 10 fuses. All happy to start gaming again as I received finally my Harvest Moon version in, yesterday morning and wasn't able to check it.

Only, as soon as I put the wire of the WII into the converter the fuse breaks again. Tried it with my import Gamecube but with my Gamecube it works, until I put the wire of the WII adapter in the converter it's bye bye another fuse :-/. According to the game store the adapter of my WII is broken. He asked me what the output is from the adapter and according to him it's the same as the European adapter. Only the input is of course different. So he said, I can easily use the European adapter for my import WII. He ordered one at Nintendo, about 10 Euro more then the Japanese version. It's not a problem as it's easier to put it in the socket, unless the WII won't explode, because that's my worst nightmare.

Does anbody know about this? I know there are several people here on this forum working in a gamestore, or maybe someone has experience with this. According to the guy the Gamecube and SNES also had this you could use the European adapter with an import console. Can I indeed use without any problems an European adapter without any changes or without a worst case scenario?

Thanks in advance!

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network

It's a shame Lik-Sang shut down, they have a huge range of converters for these kind of problems.

I'm guessing you need to step it down even further?
Maybe GC takes more power to run then Wii and that's why the converter won't blow it's fuse for it, possibly try convert it to an even lower voltage, if that option is available (of course you would of already tried that if your step down convert has that option, and hence it wouldn't of worked, resulting in your post, making my response meaningless)

I bought a step down converter for my import DS Lite (Damn converters are expensive)and have never had this problem, but the converter has no option to change it's voltage from default Japanese.

Good luck with that, and damn, I'm a HUGE Harvest Moon fan and would love to hear about that game if you get it working.

If it’s the fuse that keeps blowing the only answer would be to step it down even further, if that doesn’t work there’s something wrong with your house’s power supply, either that or you’ve updated your Wi and perhaps has a patch that disallows such converts which I highly doubt, just looking for all options here!

PAL: 240v and Japan: 110v (or something low like that, pretty sure it's 110v)

Ehm no you get me wrong... I've used the same converter for the WII which blows up the fuses as soon as I plug the wire in from the WII, which I've used right from when the WII came in. The converter goes up to 200 watt and the WII uses only a maximum of 45 watts so that's not the problem. And it would be strange to be able to use the WII with the same converter all the time and now all of the sudden I can't anymore. The power use difference of the WII and Gamecube are minimum. I do believe it's really the adapter, I hope for god sake it ain't my WII. My problem is only if the use of the European adapter would do any good for my WII or for my entire environment for that matter... or else I'll need to cancel the order and buy it from Play Asia, which takes about 2 weeks! The European only about a day or 2 or 3.

Play Asia also has the Japanese adapters ;)

And I mean the fuses in the converter, not in the house ;) The converter has a 2A 250 Volts small fuse in it, which you can replace. Sorry for the double post but the site is going very slow.

Grr... sorry!

Around the Network

I imagine the actual Wii box power input would be exactly the same. If you know someone who has a European Wii (I have an Australian version, which will likely be similar), you can get them to check the voltage specifications on the back of the unit somewhere.

I don't see why they would make it different, as it would cost more. It would be cheaper to make the Wii unit themselves identical and simply ship different power bricks.

So the most likely scenario is: Just purchase a European power brick and plug it into your Japanese Wii and it will most likely work. If you are unsure, look at the voltage specifications, but I very much doubt it will be different.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

It's hard to understand 'exactly' what your going on about, if you said *AC* adapter It woulda been much more clear, just get another one, simple, if I'm wrong again about what your going on about, shoot me.

Borrow a friends Wii and use the same adaptor, if they let you, which I doubt.

Oh sorry if I forgot to mention it's about an AC Adapter ;) Let me put it clear then:

WII AC Adapter:

Input AC 100V 94VA 50/60HZ (Input European is about 220-240 volt)
Output: DC 12V 3.7A (Output European the same)

I've called another game store and he highly suggested NOT to use an European AC Adapter with the Japanese WII. He was also sure my WII AC Adapter has got to do with burning up the fuses in my converter. Despite the output is the same, you can blow up the entire WII he says because the input is different. And that's something I wish to prevent of course!! Called the other guy back and he was pissed when I said I rather use the Japanese AC Adapter. He was right and the other guy was wrong and it was my lost... well... I thought at first they we're nice :-/.

Well, in theory, if the adapter outputs are the same then your Wii shouldn't care if it's from the wrong region, as long as the socket in the Wii is the same. But it's not the type of thing I've experimented with myself.

the guy at the game store has no idea. It can't low up your Wii based on the input. The input will make very little difference on the output. Especially since the input is actually exactly the same.

You'll probably find that the electronics inside the Japanese adapter and the EU adapter is actually exactly the same, and the only difference is the shape of the prongs on the outside (and the sticker on the front) since the multi-input AC adapters are pretty cheap to manufacture.

In other words, don't listen to the guy in the game store. You will not have any issues plugging a EU Adapter into a Japan Wii so long as the output voltages from both adapters are exactly the same.

EDIT: That employee was most likely trying to cover his arse in case something did happen. Personally, I would think you would be safer with the European adapter since it's actually designed for use with European power, which is what you are sourcing it from. You have to remember that the Japanese adapter has been designed for 100V 50/60Hz and yours being most likely 230v 50Hz. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!