Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's Q1 Shipment Numbers In

DTG said:
FishyJoe said:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q1_eleki.pdf

Shipments from April 1, 2008 to June 30, 2008

PS3: 1.56m

PSP: 3.72m

PS2: 1.51m

That makes PS3 LTD as of June 30, 2008 to 14.41m. That is shipped to retailer.

VGC's PS3 LTD is 14.141m from the July 4, 2008 weekly number. That is sold to consumer.

The difference is 269k.

Now who's claiming VGC is undertracking the PS3???

Are you blind??

It IS being undertracked by 269k, you quoted it yourself for **** sake!

you didn't read it.  269k is the difference from shipped to retailers and sold to customers.  That includes units in transit, and units on shelves.  That would be an insanely small amount.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

^ How is that bieng undertracked?

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

DTG said:
FishyJoe said:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/08q1_eleki.pdf

Shipments from April 1, 2008 to June 30, 2008

PS3: 1.56m

PSP: 3.72m

PS2: 1.51m

That makes PS3 LTD as of June 30, 2008 to 14.41m. That is shipped to retailer.

VGC's PS3 LTD is 14.141m from the July 4, 2008 weekly number. That is sold to consumer.

The difference is 269k.

Now who's claiming VGC is undertracking the PS3???

Are you blind??

It IS being undertracked by 269k, you quoted it yourself for **** sake!

Watch the graphic in my signature.  It explains everything.

To Each Man, Responsibility
konnichiwa said:

So they made a profit in Q1? Q2 was a lot better in sales especially in software,more profit in Q2 must be possible.

No, Q2 last year was disastrous. They lost 96 billion yen Q2 last year vs 29 billion yen Q1 last year.

And this Q1 saw MGS4, GTA4 and GT5:Prologue. 3 massive games, Q2 won't see that.

Th most worrying is the statement that a 38% PS2 software decrease causes a total software decrease, while PS3 software is up 385% and PSP software up 20%.

Around the Network

A profit ? great .

Seem to me that PS2 is finally declining. PSP software seems low to me even for a portable ( if you consider the userbase ).

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

PS3 shipped less than I was originally expecting (2m), but this is possibly due to them clearing the channel of the 40Gb model. They certainly seem to have shipped less to retailers than was sold by retailers in the quarter.

PSP seems to be the opposite, it looks like they shipped more to retailers than was sold by retailers in the quarter.

Great software shipments for PS3, which should be expected with such big releases in the quarter, I think they're going to have to raise their PS3 software forecast, and decrease their PS2 software forecast.

$51m operating income is very good for Q1, clearly PS3 is losing a lot less money now. It's a big turn around. Maybe by FY08 Q3 PS3 could actually be profitable.

It will be interesting to see how many PS3s they ship in Q2 after restocking the channel with the new 80Gb model. MY guess is not that much as it's not getting shipped until the last third of the quarter.

I'm going to forecast 1.2m PS3s for FY 08 Q2.

BengaBenga said:
konnichiwa said:

So they made a profit in Q1? Q2 was a lot better in sales especially in software,more profit in Q2 must be possible.

No, Q2 last year was disastrous. They lost 96 billion yen Q2 last year vs 29 billion yen Q1 last year.

And this Q1 saw MGS4, GTA4 and GT5:Prologue. 3 massive games, Q2 won't see that.

The most worrying is the statement that a 38% PS2 software decrease causes a total software decrease, while PS3 software is up 385% and PSP software up 20%.

No it didn't. Last year it sold 31.1+9.8+4.7 million software=45.6 million untis

This year they sold 19.3+22.8+11.8 million software=53.9 million units

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

BengaBenga said:
konnichiwa said:

It's worth pointing out that GT5:P was released Q4 in Europe & Asia, and Q3 in Japan. The NA release was in Q1, where they sold 224k in April NPD. European release was towards the end of Q4, so it would have still had some shipments in Q1, but the vast majority were shipped in Q4 (retail preorders were over 1m in Europe).

solojohlo said:
BengaBenga said:
konnichiwa said:

The most worrying is the statement that a 38% PS2 software decrease causes a total software decrease, while PS3 software is up 385% and PSP software up 20%.

No it didn't. Last year it sold 31.1+9.8+4.7 million software=45.6 million untis

This year they sold 19.3+22.8+11.8 million software=53.9 million units

Read the statement: (under software, apparently they don't report all numbers, cause I'm sure they wouldn't include such a statement if they didn't have to.)

"Despite an increase in overall PS3 and PSP software sales, overall software sales decreased as a result of a decrease in PS2 software sales"