By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Rankings Page and other stuff - thoughts, ideas, improvements?

I like the prediction league ideas. I don't really use that part of the site as much so I'm not really familiar with it so am not commenting on it. :)

Around the Network

If you build it, they will come.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Lets add levels.

I would do more game database things. The only problem is I have a slow computer, and it takes me 4-5 minutes just to add a box art and release dates. It took me around 3 hours to do the initial 10 or so games I did when the database was released, with summaries.

I will try to, at least, have summaries and reviews for the game rankings section. That may take me a very long time, though.

ioi said:
Well exactly how you can vote and how often and so on is under wraps but safe to say I think I have a good balance. You can't just keep clicking the same vote over and over for the same game which is the important thing imo

i once tried to vote on a game a second time and i was pretty surprised it worked, im guessing more people are after this

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network
ioi said:
Well exactly how you can vote and how often and so on is under wraps but safe to say I think I have a good balance. You can't just keep clicking the same vote over and over for the same game which is the important thing imo

"under wraps"... why shrouded in secrecy? I prefer every member getting to vote only once, or, having the option to change his score.

i mentioned on another site about re-weighting votes from different categories of voters to keep voting balanced. it's somewhat complicated for the categorizing (putting voters in different classes) but I think would be very illustrative. And then, taking the difference between the re-weighted measure and the raw average would measure bias.

Eliminating outliers would also be good. This would alleviate the problem a few people intentionally hate-voting or fanboy-voting. Or simply throw out the top 5% of votes and the bottom 5% of votes, like how they do scoring in Olympic events like gymnastics, platform diving, etc (where highest and lowest scores are eliminated before final average is taken).

A histogram chart for all the scores would be VERY NICE. Come to think of it, I guess I like this the best since it's visual and it displays all data in an easy to understand for everybody format.

Histogram ftw!

the Wii is an epidemic.

The voting system should be revamped (and probably rebooted). You shouldn't be able to double vote at all (not imediately, not in a week, not in ten votes). Names should be given to at least some of the stars ("perfect", "great", "good", "average", "bad", whatever) in particular names that are consistent with traditional video game reviews (which aren't the same as for movies - find inspiration in Gamespot, metacritic, etc). A formula that eliminates outliers (95th percentil and above, 5th percentil and below) and that pushes games with few votes to the "average" score (look above at names) should be used.

About predictions, I'm a fan of prediction markets, though the rules at the simexchange aren't the best. There are far better examples of prediction markets which work great for futures (which is what you do around here, with weekly sales), see the Foresight Exchange. As a curiosity though, the 360 has just passed the PS3 there in worldwide sales expectations, which I think is a first.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I put this in the other thread but I'll put it here to.

There is some asshole who is going around and rating every single ps1,ps2, and psp game with 10s. At first I thought that the guy was just a good fan, but then I saw Britney Spears game with a 10 and I realized many non-sony games (ds/360/x-box/dreamcast/wii/n64, the works) all getting 1s. This kind of stupidity really pisses me off. Being a fan is one thing, but being a jerk off is another.

That being said, I think the majority of voters can fix this.

In response to DonWii,

Part of the reason I don't do as much database updating is precisely the time issue. It takes forever to load any page that has the full rich text editor box, just 'cause there's like 100+ images to load in the tool and you can't do anything until it's complete 'cause it resets the text box afterward. I only ever use Quick Reply anywhere if I can help it.

For reference, I'm using IE7, if that matters. :>