By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bad press for sony and "Fat Princess"

Feminists cry foul over Fat Princess Does Sony's cartoony castle game cross the line? By Ben Silverman

She's plump, powerful and ready to cause more controversy than "SuperSize Me." She's Fat Princess, the star of Sony's upcoming video game of the same name. Debuting at last week's E3 expo, the colorful Fat Princess is a capture-the-flag game with a twist: you can thwart capture attempts by locking the once-thin princess in a dungeon and stuffing her full of cake, thereby increasing her girth and making her harder for your enemies to haul back to home base. According to popular gaming blog Joystiq, two feminist gaming sites have already voiced their displeasure with the weighty issue.  Feminist Gamer's "Mighty Ponygirl" rings in diplomatically, suggesting a new way to play the game altogether. "Instead of running out into the forest to find cake to fatten up the princess with, why not go out and find gold (which is a lot heavier than cake) to stuff into a treasure chest. The more gold in the chest, the heavier it would be, and the harder it would be to carry," she said, before adding, "Oh, but that's not as "cute" as cake and fat chicks. Right." Over at Shakesville, however, writer Melissa McEwan cuts to the chase, telling Sony she's "positively thrilled to see such unyielding dedication to creating a new generation of fat-hating, heteronormative ---holes." Sony has yet to issue an official response, although Joystiq did receive a particularly informative update from James Green, Fat Princess' lead art director, who clued gamers in on the origins of the game: "Does it make it better or worse that the concept artist (who designed the look, characters, everything) is a girl?" Hmmm...hope the game's detractors don't mind eating a bit of crow.

Sad to see that this is being made into an issue.  Any thoughts?

Here is a pic.  She looks kinda cute IMO! lol.

Around the Network

God, life is an ego coddling session for some people

Yeah: the two knobs quoted in this piece need to shut the f*ck up and have some cake.

It's not bad enough that we have to deal with identity politics stupidity everyday from some corner of the globe that it needs to start infecting video games--we're all human beings, we all have faults/issues/problems/concerns, nobody is perfect and the sooner we can all laugh at all of our collective flaws without getting worked up over every microscopic, perceived, slight the better off we'll all be.

All the sweeter, however, is that now that I know this bothers these fools who are far too busy  trying to drive wedges between us all rather than doing something productive, I will be there to purchase this game on day one, regardless of how bad it might turn out.

The article states that the concept artist is a girl. Apparently she did not have a problem with fat chicks.

I know that there are more fat girls mad about this. And they would love to send angry E-Mails to sony. But their hands are too fat to use the keyboard, so their messages don't make any sense. And when they get around to writing the letter, they get tired, and go and eat some cake.

Shame.

Around the Network

I hate feminists so much. What is the obsession with being female? Why does it matter? My height (or lack of it) matters far more to me than the shape of my genitals. In fact, did you know short people on average earn less than tall people? Go whinge about that or something...

The article was on yahoo on the games section BTW.

DMeisterJ said:
I know that there are more fat girls mad about this. And they would love to send angry E-Mails to sony. But their hands are too fat to use the keyboard, so their messages don't make any sense. And when they get around to writing the letter, they get tired, and go and eat some cake.

Shame.

That is hilarious! lol. 

They also write out a list of things to complain about on a dry eraser board when the e-mail/keyboard thing doesn't work out, but then every time they get up and turn around to make the phone call to Sony, they erase the dry eraser board!!! 

Frustration leads to more cake eating I'm afraid.

If the designer is a girl or not is really not important.

I'ts a game.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

It is not like you have to watch it even if you don't want to (like a tv ad).

And the message is even good, if you eat a lot and get fat is going to be BAD for you.

Those ponygirls should ask Melissa McEwan the writter to Write "Getting fat is bad for your health" in a piece of wood and stick it in their "fat-loving, homonormative--holes"

End of Year prediction:

wii: 37 m

360: 24 m

PS3: 20 m

... what a joke.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)