By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai: Rivals can’t compete with PS3’s exclusives

Pk9394 said:
I bet not one of those exclusive can beat Wii Fit's sale number. Sony can have the most appealing list to core gamers or even its all AAA quality but at the end of the day what counts the most is who bring home the most $$$. How many game on that list can actually break 3 million mark?? while a lot of nintendo's game break 5 millions mark without a sweat.

Though I am a fan of Nintendo's games and such, the question with that argument would be: does that have to do with anything about us? Though Nintendo may sell more games than the others do, do you care about those games or not? Personally, I want to get Wii Fit (just can't find a store that sells it yet), but you should ask yourself if those Wii games that sell 5-10 million are games that you are proud of having the option to buy or not.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
playstation internal studios have the best games upcoming for me. far better than 360wii offerings no wii games upcoming interest me and only gears2 interst me on 360 a pre owned copy at that! the rest of my 2008 games will be bought all on ps3, i predict huge sales for ps3 over the xmas 2008 period.

Uhhh....hmmmm....how should I say this.....well, congrats on being able to find games that you like for your PS3, but you do know that you aren't the only judge around here who decides what games are good or bad. Therefore, I took the opportunity to correct your statement. No thank yous are needed ;)

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

Why do Kaz keep saying their first-party?!

I absolutely don't see any titles yet that take advantage of the first-party other than Warhawk, MotorStorm, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Uncharted.

Where is all this first-party they are discussing?

pakidan101 said:
Pk9394 said:
I bet not one of those exclusive can beat Wii Fit's sale number. Sony can have the most appealing list to core gamers or even its all AAA quality but at the end of the day what counts the most is who bring home the most $$$. How many game on that list can actually break 3 million mark?? while a lot of nintendo's game break 5 millions mark without a sweat.

Though I am a fan of Nintendo's games and such, the question with that argument would be: does that have to do with anything about us? Though Nintendo may sell more games than the others do, do you care about those games or not? Personally, I want to get Wii Fit (just can't find a store that sells it yet), but you should ask yourself if those Wii games that sell 5-10 million are games that you are proud of having the option to buy or not.

Pakidan101: As a gamer I admit most of those nintendo offering don't interest me, but from a bussiness point of view to any company out there trying to make a profit matter a lot more than you and my opinions.  The main goal for any PR coming out to make a statement is to convince people to buy their products and that translate to sales numbers and profit.

e.g. Dreamcast bring a bell to you?? that system is good quality with some of the best game offering at its time, then it fails because both Hardware and software dont sell. 

ecurbj said:

Why do Kaz keep saying their first-party?!

I absolutely don't see any titles yet that take advantage of the first-party other than Warhawk, MotorStorm, Heavenly Sword, Resistance, Uncharted.

Where is all this first-party they are discussing?

Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, inFamous, God of War III, MaG, so they do have a very strong showing

Around the Network

LOL at people who try to tell other people which games they should care about. Yeah we all just love sequels to games that were mediocre to pretty good, at best. Or sequels in genres that have arguably better offerings.

Munkeh111 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
As far as first party products, for me it goes :

Nintendo >>>>>>>>Sony>>Microsoft

So Sony is hardly "unrivalled" in that category.

Can you name a Nintendo game coming to the Wii in the upcoming future, there are only a couple, and I was not really impressed with them. Of course they have other games under wraps, but Sony do too. Sony make more games than Nintendo, even if they dont quite reach the same quality

Quality > Quantity. Always.

tehsage said:
Munkeh111 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Can you name a Nintendo game coming to the Wii in the upcoming future, there are only a couple, and I was not really impressed with them. Of course they have other games under wraps, but Sony do too. Sony make more games than Nintendo, even if they dont quite reach the same quality

When you get 5 games of 85-90 quality, I think it is better than a couple of 95 games

Rath said:
makingmusic476 said:

By the end of this year, Sony will have released these first party titles for the year:

• Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  • Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
  • MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
  • Siren: Blood Curse
  • Socom: Confrontation
  • Afrika
  • MLB '08: The Show
  • NBA '09
  • SingStar
  • Buzz: Quiz TV

And these second party titles:

• LittleBigPlanet
  • Resistance 2

In terms of 1st/2nd party support for home consoles, Sony is definitely greater than Nintendo from a sheer numerical standpoint (handhelds are another matter).  However, I'd have to say that Nintendo is better from a quality standpoint.  Zelda and Mario are certainly the best of the best in their genres.

There is also another measurment which is overall sales from each, I think Nintendo usually dominates that as well.

For some of their games (not all, of course, like AC and Nintendogs), their sales stem from name recognition rather than quality.  Zelda is my favorite series by far, but there's a reason TP broke 5 million while Okami struggled to break 200k on the two best selling platforms of all time.

The only one of Sony's franchises that has a similar brand recognition is Gran Turismo, which also sells insanley well.

Munkeh111 said:
tehsage said:
Munkeh111 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

When you get 5 games of 85-90 quality, I think it is better than a couple of 95 games

Looking at Nintendo's "big" games for the end of the year, I'm beginning to feel that way too.

Nintendo, give me Kid Icarus!  Or something!

Edit: Though LBP is a candidate for GotY, so it's not like all of Sony's titles aren't quite as good as Nintendo's.