By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai: Rivals can’t compete with PS3’s exclusives

Pk9394 said:
I bet not one of those exclusive can beat Wii Fit's sale number. Sony can have the most appealing list to core gamers or even its all AAA quality but at the end of the day what counts the most is who bring home the most $$$. How many game on that list can actually break 3 million mark?? while a lot of nintendo's game break 5 millions mark without a sweat.

Why would a gamer care what Sony gets as a return for each game it produces.... They just want games that are fun to play and if they sell less than a Wii peripheral then i don't think many of then will lose sleep over it....

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
makingmusic476 said:

For some of their games (not all, of course, like AC and Nintendogs), their sales stem from name recognition rather than quality.  Zelda is my favorite series by far, but there's a reason TP broke 5 million while Okami struggled to break 200k on the two best selling platforms of all time.

The only one of Sony's franchises that has a similar brand recognition is Gran Turismo, which also sells insanley well.

This is generally true of the entertainment industry as a whole ...

There are countless great muscians who remain unknown while Nickleback and Brittany Spears dominate the radio
There are thousands of great authors who no one reads while Tom Clancy and Stephen King top the Best-Sellers lists
There are lots of great movies released every year that go unnoticed while everyone watches Superbad

That's my point.  Sales aren't really a good gage of what is better.

makingmusic476 said:

By the end of this year, Sony will have released these first party titles for the year:

• Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  • Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds
  • MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
  • Siren: Blood Curse
  • Socom: Confrontation
  • Afrika
  • MLB '08: The Show
  • NBA '09
  • SingStar
  • Buzz: Quiz TV

And these second party titles:

• LittleBigPlanet
  • Resistance 2

In terms of 1st/2nd party support for home consoles, Sony is definitely greater than Nintendo from a sheer numerical standpoint (handhelds are another matter).  However, I'd have to say that Nintendo is better from a quality standpoint.  Zelda and Mario are certainly the best of the best in their genres.

And Gran turismo and God of War are certainly the best of the best in their genres.

Quality are you forgetting Nintndo made mediocracy like wii play, pokemon wii and mario party 8 ?

Hus said:
makingmusic476 said:

By the end of this year, Sony will have released these first party titles for the year:

• Afrika
  • NBA '09
  • SingStar

• LittleBigPlanet
  • Resistance 2

In terms of 1st/2nd party support for home consoles, Sony is definitely greater than Nintendo from a sheer numerical standpoint (handhelds are another matter).  However, I'd have to say that Nintendo is better from a quality standpoint.  Zelda and Mario are certainly the best of the best in their genres.

And Gran turismo and God of War are certainly the best of the best in their genres.

Quality are you forgetting Nintndo made mediocracy like wii play, pokemon wii and mario party 8 ?

Zelda > all.

Sorry, bud.

Edit: Also, Sony makes SingStar and Buzz, the epitome of casualness.

makingmusic476 said:
Hus said:
makingmusic476 said:

• Afrika
  • NBA '09
  • SingStar

• LittleBigPlanet
  • Resistance 2

Zelda > all.

Sorry, bud.

Sorry bud, i dont care about much about role palying reality is mo fun.

Gran turismo > God

Around the Network
Hus said:
makingmusic476 said:
Hus said:

Zelda > all.

Sorry, bud.

Sorry bud, i ont care about much about role palying, reality is mo fun.

Gran turismo > God

Then you should stop playing games...  :P

I absolutely agree with you, MakingMusic, but I just don't know what other metric to use. Normally I might recommend critical acclaim, but I personally have much less faith in games reviews than I do reviews for other mediums, such as film or literature.

Of course, Nintendo has also had a higher metacritic rating every year since metacritic started keeping track, so the point should be moot anyway (although I strongly suspect that streak will be broken this year thanks to Nintendo's focus on casual fare).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

makingmusic476 said:
Hus said:
makingmusic476 said:
Hus said:

Zelda > all.

Sorry, bud.

Sorry bud, i ont care about much about role palying, reality is mo fun.

Gran turismo > God

Then you should stop playing games...  :P

lol sure, dont like weidro elfs = dont play games.

Bodhesatva said:

I absolutely agree with you, MakingMusic, but I just don't know what other metric to use. Normally I might recommend critical acclaim, but I personally have much less faith in games reviews than I do reviews for other mediums, such as film or literature.

Of course, Nintendo has also had a higher metacritic rating every year since metacritic started keeping track, so the point should be moot anyway (although I strongly suspect that streak will be broken this year thanks to Nintendo's focus on casual fare).

Even if we can't determine objectively which is better, the fact that they are so closely compared says something, imo.  In the end, both offer very compelling first party line ups, and the only differences are subject.  

This is why I always buy both Sony and Nintendo consoles. :P

nintendo 1st party>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sony 1st party by sales, critical acclaim and most importantly quality. Quantity probably about even too.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!