By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai: Rivals can’t compete with PS3’s exclusives

sony has AAA titles? Which of its games are actually "fun" to play then?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
bouzane said:
Kenology said:
Bodhesatva said:

In terms of variety and "hardcore" gamer appeal, Sony wins, though. Over Microsoft obviously (their first party is Halo and Gears of War), but over Nintendo too, I think.

No.

I don't know how you measure "'hardcore' gamer appeal" but I think Nintendo has the biggest variety of internal games by genre.

Action/Adventure, ARPG, SRPG, JRPG, 3D-platformer, Racing, Racing Sim, Fighting, 2D-platformer, puzzle, Strategy, Shooters, etc.

Nintendo has hardcore franchises that covers virtually any and every genre. Some people may really love Sony and that's fine, but no other 1st party developer has the talent and skill of Nintendo's in-house development teams - nor as consistent an output of undisputeable quality.

Last time I checked Nintendo dumped out many sub-par titles like Mario Kart 64, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party 8, Battalion Wars and Kirby Air Ride to name a few. Nintendo is hardly immune from producing mediocre games. Besides, Sony has more than 80 game franchises including God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Patapon, Loco Roco and Syphon Filter. Now-a-days Nintendo seems content with producing little more than sequels and casual games, I don't know many core gamers that are satisfied with that.

With the exception of Mario Party 8 you choose a lot of bad titles to prove your point ...

Many people (including myself) still consider Mario Kart 64 to be the defining game in the series, Battalion Wars and Kirby's Air Ride were excellent executions of what Nintendo was attempting to produce (Battalion Wars being a "Battlefield RTS game" and Kirby's Air Ride was Miyamoto's idea for a 1 button racing game), and Luigi's Mansion was an interesting take on an existing genre (Survival Horror) that was poorly received mainly because people wanted a "Real" Mario game.

To be blunt, if you actually played several of these games you would realize that they are far better than most games with similar review scores because a lot of reviewers don't have a clue what they're doing; simply because a game focuses on Realtime strategy elements over shooter elements doesn't make the game worse (as an example).

kitler53 said:
i completely agree - no one can compete with sony exclusives. third parties should completely give up on the ps3 immediately because only first party titles will sell on the system.

Totally agree buddy.

Sales predictions end of 08' (2008-7-27)

• PS3: 20. million
  • X360: 23. million
  • WII: 40. million        

PS3 to surpass X360 WW sales by Q2 2009

HappySqurriel said:
bouzane said:
Kenology said:
Bodhesatva said:

In terms of variety and "hardcore" gamer appeal, Sony wins, though. Over Microsoft obviously (their first party is Halo and Gears of War), but over Nintendo too, I think.

No.

I don't know how you measure "'hardcore' gamer appeal" but I think Nintendo has the biggest variety of internal games by genre.

Action/Adventure, ARPG, SRPG, JRPG, 3D-platformer, Racing, Racing Sim, Fighting, 2D-platformer, puzzle, Strategy, Shooters, etc.

Nintendo has hardcore franchises that covers virtually any and every genre. Some people may really love Sony and that's fine, but no other 1st party developer has the talent and skill of Nintendo's in-house development teams - nor as consistent an output of undisputeable quality.

Last time I checked Nintendo dumped out many sub-par titles like Mario Kart 64, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party 8, Battalion Wars and Kirby Air Ride to name a few. Nintendo is hardly immune from producing mediocre games. Besides, Sony has more than 80 game franchises including God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Patapon, Loco Roco and Syphon Filter. Now-a-days Nintendo seems content with producing little more than sequels and casual games, I don't know many core gamers that are satisfied with that.

With the exception of Mario Party 8 you choose a lot of bad titles to prove your point ...

Many people (including myself) still consider Mario Kart 64 to be the defining game in the series, Battalion Wars and Kirby's Air Ride were excellent executions of what Nintendo was attempting to produce (Battalion Wars being a "Battlefield RTS game" and Kirby's Air Ride was Miyamoto's idea for a 1 button racing game), and Luigi's Mansion was an interesting take on an existing genre (Survival Horror) that was poorly received mainly because people wanted a "Real" Mario game.

To be blunt, if you actually played several of these games you would realize that they are far better than most games with similar review scores because a lot of reviewers don't have a clue what they're doing; simply because a game focuses on Realtime strategy elements over shooter elements doesn't make the game worse (as an example).

I don't share your opinion and that means that I did not play the games that I listed? I hate to burst your bubble but I have in fact played these titles. I don't blame reviewers for the low scores, I blame the second rate games. Mario Kart 64 has wide tracks making most of the game far too easy, Luigi's Mansion and Battalion Wars were average at best and Kirby's Air Ride was horrible, one of the worst games I have ever played. I remember when my friend brought over Air Ride and all it resulted in was confusion and disappointment, even if I did understand the sections between the racing segments I would hardly care. I think many critics are far too easy on Nintendo, some of the critical acclaim simply puzzles me.

bouzane said:
Kenology said:
Bodhesatva said:

No.

1). Last time I checked Nintendo dumped out many sub-par titles like Mario Kart 64, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party 8, Battalion Wars and Kirby Air Ride to name a few. Nintendo is hardly immune from producing mediocre games. Besides, Sony has more than 80 game franchises including God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Patapon, Loco Roco and Syphon Filter. 2). Now-a-days Nintendo seems content with producing little more than sequels and casual games, I don't know many core gamers that are satisfied with that.

I wasn't implying the Nintendo never made a sub-par game. However, the games you mentioned above to disprove my point won't work out for you too well.

Mario Kart 64 - was great to most, mediocre to some... that game doesn't help your argument.

Luigi's Mansion - see above, Luigi's Mansion was in no way a bad game.

Mario Party 8 - developed by Hudson

Battalion Wars - developed by n-Space

Kirby Air Ride - I don't know anything about this one...

And again, how is is ok for every developer in the world to make sequels but not Nintendo? I really hope you will explain this to me.

As for Nintendo producing little more than... casual games. I'd love to get inside info on what's going on in Nintendo's internal development studios - because you know something most of us don't or your just making baseless assumptions. If you think what you saw at E3 is all that Nintendo's about, then you'll be disappointed.

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:
"Rivals can’t compete with PS3’s exclusives... thats why they pay for them... and we need to get back to the CGI trailers all over again... and no, I don´t want to talk about the FF issue..."

Bolded parts are true.

EDIT: and apply only to MS, not Nintendo, obviously.

TruckOSaurus said:
As far as first party products, for me it goes :

Nintendo >>>>>>>>Sony>>Microsoft

So Sony is hardly "unrivalled" in that category.

Your opinon?

And Sony does put out more games than Nintendo and MS does, so he does have some right to speak up.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

bouzane said:

I don't share your opinion and that means that I did not play the games that I listed? I hate to burst your bubble but I have in fact played these titles. I don't blame reviewers for the low scores, I blame the second rate games. Mario Kart 64 has wide tracks making most of the game far too easy, Luigi's Mansion and Battalion Wars were average at best and Kirby's Air Ride was horrible, one of the worst games I have ever played. I remember when my friend brought over Air Ride and all it resulted in was confusion and disappointment, even if I did understand the sections between the racing segments I would hardly care. I think many critics are far too easy on Nintendo, some of the critical acclaim simply puzzles me.

Its not that you don't share my opinion, its that you're amazingly anti-Nintendo and post comments which sound similar to the types of comments someone makes about a game after playing them for 5 minutes or from reading someone else's complaints online.

Regardless, suppose you have played those games ... You listed a handful of games over 3 generations of consoles, not really that representitive of a company that has released hundreds of games on 9 platforms.

Does the fact that Lair, Genji Days of the Blade, Untold Legends Dark Kingdom, and NBA 07/08 were all crap mean that Sony is an awful and over-rated publisher that doesn't deserve the critical acclaim it receives?

@Kenology

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm sickened by the fact that Nintendo stopped making new core games after Pikmen, Metroid Prime and Advance Wars hit the market. Now their game development seems to be entirely casual gaming or sequels to core games. My point is that there are no new core games and I don't understand how core gamers can be satisfied by that. How do I need to know more than everybody else to make more than baseless assumptions? I'm hardly the only person who thinks that Nintendo's core offerings for the rest of this console generation will be little more than sequels.

peachbuggy said:
sony has AAA titles? Which of its games are actually "fun" to play then?

Wait but without waggle waggle its not fun right.