By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metacritic Rating PS3 Edition

Kasz216 said:

I want to see more of LBPs editors myself.. like if they allow for timed events, triggers when you walk somewhere etc... if it doesn't allow event triggers it's a step backwords from a lot of games i've played.

I think I've seen something about triggers, you could set the level so if you walk somewhere a textbox would pop-up to tell you the story, so I think the game will allow every kind of triggers. I'll research a bit more about it.

Riachu said:

Yeah they did and it was critically acclaimed.  It was called Skies of Arcadia.  Quite a few SRPGs are rated well.  Final Fantasy Tactics(all of them), Fire Emblem(all of them), Jeanne d'Arc etc.

Sadly, FFT (the original) was very underrated, I think it holds a lower average than every FF of the main series, when it's better than every one of them

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
You guys are setting Valkyria Chronicles a little too low. Especially since previews are saying it is the best RPG that Sega released in a decade or something like that.

Valkyria Chronicles.....88%-90%
Little Big Planet......90%
Socom Confrontation....85%

Have sega released any RPGs in a decade outside of really disapointing "Shining" spinoffs? SRPGS almost never review well.

Yeah they did and it was critically acclaimed. It was called Skies of Arcadia. Quite a few SRPGs are rated well. Final Fantasy Tactics(all of them), Fire Emblem(all of them), Jeanne d'Arc etc.

None of which cracked 90... and Fire Emblem was both good and had a solid brandname behind it I don't believe any SRPG has ranked a 90 or higher. It won't hit a 9... and it will likely be penalized for not being in a series... and for changing the SRPG formula for a number of SRPG freaks who aren't willing to change.

Kasz216 said:
Also LBP should score really well. It's a "make your own" genre game. Which is a genre you don't see much outside of PC. So everybody should love it.

Games like that everyone loves the first time they play it for the first few days or so in which they rate them.

Then the uncreative and lazy lose interest when they realize they are making the same few levels over and over again without doing anything new... giving way to a small portion of really inventive people who do really great things with it.

I want to see more of LBPs editors myself.. like if they allow for timed events, triggers when you walk somewhere etc... if it doesn't allow event triggers it's a step backwords from a lot of games i've played.

That shouldn't effect reviews at all unless it's from an expert in the genre.

Except there doesn't seem to be much "game" behind it. All we've seen so far is some obstacle-jumping and simple physics-based puzzles. Aside from the aforementioned physics, it seems to be less fully-featured than many 16-bit platformers I've played.

I strongly suspect it'll be one of those Doom 3-esque games as per reviews, in that people who play it for a little while will be impressed, while people who play through the entire thing will realize how monotonous and shallow it is.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
You guys are setting Valkyria Chronicles a little too low. Especially since previews are saying it is the best RPG that Sega released in a decade or something like that.

Have sega released any RPGs in a decade outside of really disapointing "Shining" spinoffs? SRPGS almost never review well.

Yeah they did and it was critically acclaimed. It was called Skies of Arcadia. Quite a few SRPGs are rated well. Final Fantasy Tactics(all of them), Fire Emblem(all of them), Jeanne d'Arc etc.

None of which cracked 90... and Fire Emblem was both good and had a solid brandname behind it I don't believe any SRPG has ranked a 90 or higher. It won't hit a 9... and it will likely be penalized for not being in a series... and for changing the SRPG formula for a number of SRPG freaks who aren't willing to change.

You realize that these SRPG freaks are vocal but they are still a minority and a very small one at that.  I think that since the characters won't be moving on a grid and that you can aim the guns in Valkyria Chronicles, I think some people who generally avoid SRPGs might give this one a chance.

Resistance 2.....................................93%

SOCOM Confrontation ......................87%

Valkyria Chronicles............................82%

Disgaea 3..........................................82%

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift......................95%

Afrika.................................................84%

LittleBigPlanet...................................95%

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm.............82%

The Agency........................................67%

NBA 09: The Inside............................76%

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:

You realize that these SRPG freaks are vocal but they are still a minority and a very small one at that. I think that since the characters won't be moving on a grid and that you can aim the guns in Valkyria Chronicles, I think some people who generally avoid SRPGs might give this one a chance.

Said people aren't the reviewers however. The review duties will be given to the SRPG guy... a number of which i'm guessing won't like the new direction. (though i think it's great that someone else went with the future tactics style battle system.)

Garcian Smith said:
Kasz216 said:
Also LBP should score really well. It's a "make your own" genre game. Which is a genre you don't see much outside of PC. So everybody should love it.

Games like that everyone loves the first time they play it for the first few days or so in which they rate them.

Then the uncreative and lazy lose interest when they realize they are making the same few levels over and over again without doing anything new... giving way to a small portion of really inventive people who do really great things with it.

That shouldn't effect reviews at all unless it's from an expert in the genre.

Except there doesn't seem to be much "game" behind it. All we've seen so far is some obstacle-jumping and simple physics-based puzzles. Aside from the aforementioned physics, it seems to be less fully-featured than many 16-bit platformers I've played.

I strongly suspect it'll be one of those Doom 3-esque games as per reviews, in that people who play it for a little while will be impressed, while people who play through the entire thing will realize how monotonous and shallow it is.

Maybe. That's my worry about the game too... though they have show enemies in the most recent trailer... though to what level and extent you can control and make said enemies have yet to be unseen. It does appear to be a cut back platform maker... but it's still the first in it's genre console wise. Most reviewers won't know what they're missing i think...

Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:
Kasz216 said:
Riachu said:

You realize that these SRPG freaks are vocal but they are still a minority and a very small one at that. I think that since the characters won't be moving on a grid and that you can aim the guns in Valkyria Chronicles, I think some people who generally avoid SRPGs might give this one a chance.

Said people aren't the reviewers however. The review duties will be given to the SRPG guy... a number of which i'm guessing won't like the new direction. (though i think it's great that someone else went with the future tactics style battle system.)

Or maybe those same SRPG freaks will praise VC for it's differing game mechanics that make for a more unique experience

@Garcian Smith

I get your viewpoint on the game, I just don't understand why you think that even if any of that's true that it will translate into anything below 80%. Review scores are inflated to the degree that even a somewhat good game with many flaws should get at minimum 75%. Add the hype this game has been getting and it seems incredibly unlikely that this game will average under 80%. (My guess would be 87%)

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Here's what I think IGN will give them, I could care less what small review site has to say about games.

1. Resistance 2: 91

2. Socom: Confrontation: 81

3. Valkyria Chronicles: 80

4. Disgaea 3: 80

5. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift: 84

6. Afrika: 82

7. LittleBigPlanet: 97

8. Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm: 81

9. The Agency: 77

10. NBA 09: The Inside: 75

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)