By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Harrison 2.12.07

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/763/763939p1.html Notice the remark about a Killzone Demo for PS3 when Halo3 beta is released... All I gotta say is... HELL YES BABY. I'd buy a PS3 for that.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Yeah... the only thing worth mention I think was the the killzone thing.

"The reason I showed SingStar was because it illustrated a lot of the trends that I imagine are going to be important to the industry going forward," Harrison told IGN. "You know, integrating community, integrating user-created content and integrating gameplay all into one product."
Though SingStar is not expected for some time, Sony is going to begin its community initiative very soon. "I think you'll see that [community] innovation in the next five weeks," Harrison said. That would likely mean a grand unveiling of new functionality during Harrison's keynote speech at GDC on March 7.
It has been rumored that Killzone 2 will be shown at GDC and that a demo is going to be released to counteract Microsoft's Halo 3 multiplayer beta this spring. Harrison would not comment on the Killzone speculation, but dismissed the idea that Sony had to focus its planning to counteract Halo 3. "I have a great deal of respect for Halo, I think it's a great piece of software, but it's one title," Harrison said. "I think that it's very dangerous to build an entire brand personality or platform around a single title. At PlayStation what we have done successfully... is to create tremendously varied entertainment opportunities on our platforms that cover a lot of different bases, a lot of different game styles and as a result grow the market for a lot of different users. We've been very successful doing that. We'll continue to do that. And we would be very careless if we were to focus on one specific title."

That guy is stuck in permanent spin cycle. He's the George bush of the gaming world.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Actuly I think he has a point about singstar being a important game, at least here in Sweden buzz, singstar and Guitarr Hero is selling PS2. But if he is speaking about PS3 I don't think that PS3 will have any real use of singstar with the heafty price point, when you still can buy a PS2 with almost the same game. I mean you don't need any nice graphics for singstar :) I don't know much about killzone so I wont say anything about that...

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

You've got to take it for what it's worth. He is a PR zombie. Everything he says will be biased. However The improvements to the XMB... Are going to rock. (it's kinda bare right now) The added centralized PSN network is a gods grace. That will make the PS3 rival the 360... out of the box. Something about user created content... and it's distribution method coming in the next few months. Probibally 1.6 If not, then probibally whatever comes mid-spring. The KillZone demo. I ususally take rumors for what their worth. However IGNs sheer size allows them to get insider info... Stuff like "Hey I cant tell you this, so it's just a rumor, but the killzone2 Demo is coming with the Halo3 beta." They do it all the time to create hype. However what sucks is. It might not be true. About Singstar - It's not the game. It's the content. They will have hundreds of songs they couldnt normally put on the game because of the sick lisenceing fees. (think if they were to put 500 songs on the game... they would probibally have to pay around 70cents Royalties to the record companies. For each song. That would make the game cost Sony over 200$ just because of the lisenceing BS. So what you can do with the PS3 version. Is possibly get SingStar free. (I dont know if that's right now not) and then buy//download the songs and use those. I beleive I have also read about using the EyeToyHD to record you, and then you can share it with others... as a form of 'your own rock star video'. Kinda thing. Not much is know, but I have seen mention of the all that stuff. What stands out as nice to me. If there is a particularly nice song that I like that I would like to sing... that the PR side of the game would think that only 1% of people would want to sing. It wouldnt make it onto a game disc. (ever) However with online distribution of songs for said price. (.99? 1.99? 2.99?) And get that one song that I would just LOVE to sing. Not the stuff that 90% of people in the world would like to sing. And rember. Take the man for what he's worth. a PR zombie. Just like whoever that guy is for the 360. It's his job to make the PS3 sound good. And in all honesty. The fact he isnt selling Killzone, Lair, Motorstorm... and stuff like that on his press confreces. Means he isnt worried about those games. That is good for the sony lovers. Rember the PS3's online is in it's infancy. It took the original X-Box how many years to get the Live service the way it is today?

Around the Network

It has been rumored that Killzone 2 will be shown at GDC and that a demo is going to be released to counteract Microsoft's Halo 3 multiplayer beta this spring. Harrison would not comment on the Killzone speculation, but dismissed the idea that Sony had to focus its planning to counteract Halo 3. "I have a great deal of respect for Halo, I think it's a great piece of software, but it's one title," Harrison said. "I think that it's very dangerous to build an entire brand personality or platform around a single title. At PlayStation what we have done successfully... is to create tremendously varied entertainment opportunities on our platforms that cover a lot of different bases, a lot of different game styles and as a result grow the market for a lot of different users. We've been very successful doing that. We'll continue to do that. And we would be very careless if we were to focus on one specific title."
Translation. "We have no answer for Halo 3. Killzone 2 doesn't truly exist in the way it was shown previously. We whipped out some CGI far beyond our consoles ability in order to make our competition look weak, only this time it backfired on us. I am quite surprised the game has garnered so much interest. The first title didn't not meet gamers expectations. We'd show you the actual game but we know it doesn't graphically match up to what is hitting the 360 this year. We would build our brand name around a hit franchise if we were able but I our previous efforts be it Crash Bandicoot or Spyro have failed. So per our modus operandi, Sony has relied on third parties to provide varied content on our platforms. Our internal development teams have netted us just two bankable franchises in the last dozen or so years. Hopefully we can ride our brand name out this year as Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, and Final Fantasy XIII don't arrive until 2008. If not, the third parties we've relied upon will bolt for our competitors."

1. Everything said about Killzone2 has been said in some places it is 'almost' as good. and in some places 'it's better' 2. If it looks half as good as the E3 trailer 2005. It will blow the 360 out of the water graphically. 3. If it looks 2/3rd as good as the E3 trailer 2005. There goes any concept the 360 have NEAR as much power. 4. If it looks damn near as good as the E3 trailer 2005... wow. 5. Motorstorm, LAIR, Resistance, Heavenly Sword. 6. Darc Requiem - That's a funny post you have there. However make a post like that about nitendo for me. I'd love to see how you word it.

Darc Requiem said: Translation. "We have no answer for Halo 3. Killzone 2 doesn't truly exist in the way it was shown previously. We whipped out some CGI far beyond our consoles ability in order to make our competition look weak, only this time it backfired on us. I am quite surprised the game has garnered so much interest. The first title didn't not meet gamers expectations. We'd show you the actual game but we know it doesn't graphically match up to what is hitting the 360 this year. We would build our brand name around a hit franchise if we were able but I our previous efforts be it Crash Bandicoot or Spyro have failed. So per our modus operandi, Sony has relied on third parties to provide varied content on our platforms. Our internal development teams have netted us just two bankable franchises in the last dozen or so years. Hopefully we can ride our brand name out this year as Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, and Final Fantasy XIII don't arrive until 2008. If not, the third parties we've relied upon will bolt for our competitors."
I am not a fan of killzone at all but if motorstorm is an example than KZ2's graphics might be impressive. As far as bankable franchises go for Sony I think 2 is a little low. * Ape Escape * Arc the Lad * ATV Offroad Fury * Colony Wars * Dark Cloud * Destruction Derby * Formula One * God of War * Gran Turismo * Hot Shots Golf * ICO * Intelligent Qube * Jak and Daxter * Jet Moto * Killzone * Legend of Legaia * Lemmings * LocoRoco * MediEvil * MLB * MotorStorm * NBA ShootOut * NCAA Final Four * NCAA GameBreaker * NFL GameDay * NFL Xtreme * NHL FaceOff * PaRappa the Rapper * PoPoLoCrois * Ratchet & Clank * Resistance: Fall of Man * Rogue Galaxy * Shadow of the Colossus * SingStar * Siren * Sly Cooper * SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs * Syphon Filter * The Getaway * The Legend of Dragoon * Twisted Metal * Warhawk * White Knight Story * Wild Arms * Wipeout I am just listing some of the most popular out of 66+ franchises that were internally done by sony. I think Sony does well for themselves. Not only have they created solid games but some of these games are just downright superb.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Kwaad said: 1. Everything said about Killzone2 has been said in some places it is 'almost' as good. and in some places 'it's better' 2. If it looks half as good as the E3 trailer 2005. It will blow the 360 out of the water graphically. 3. If it looks 2/3rd as good as the E3 trailer 2005. There goes any concept the 360 have NEAR as much power. 4. If it looks damn near as good as the E3 trailer 2005... wow. 5. Motorstorm, LAIR, Resistance, Heavenly Sword. 6. Darc Requiem - That's a funny post you have there. However make a post like that about nitendo for me. I'd love to see how you word it.
Kwaad you are delusional. That is about as nice as I can put it. I mean Motorstorm doesn't come close to the CGI Sony pawned of as representative of the PS3's power back during E3 05. Thats why Sony has been playing hide and seek with Killzone 2, they don't want to be called on their BS yet again. In fact, here is a link showing both the E3 2005 footage and the actual game footage. http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/motorstorm-e3-2005-vs-reality-218761.php As for you request in number 6, Yamauchi quotes were hilarious without translation. As was Nintendo's ridiculous stance when it came to on-line play on Gamecube. Staticneuron if KZ2 turns out like Motorstorm it would hardly be an example of impressive graphics. Motorstorm was supposed be game that looked like it couldn't be done on 360. Motorstorm at 30FPS in 720p is hardly beyond the capabilities of the 360. Also, you have composed a nice list, but just because the game was published by Sony does not make it a bankable franchise. For example Nintendo published Excite Truck and MS published Ninety Nine Nights and I wouldn't call either of those bankable franchises. I mean Sony's entire sports lineup is a joke. Placing those games and dead IPs like Jet Moto in your list is just padding plain and simple. Should I put Kid Icarus and Star Tropics on a similar list for Nintendo? No. While I wouldn't mind playing a new Kid Icarus there hasn't been a game released in franchise for ages. The same goes for Star Tropics. ICO should be a bankable franchise but like Okami and Viewtiful Joe for that matter, it didn't sell as well as it should. God of War and Gran Turismo on PS3 would get people out to retailers to fork over their $600 on the other hand. I shouldn't have said bankable franchises, I should have said Killer Apps but that didn't seem like something Phil Harrison would say Still 66 bankable franchises is a huge stretch Staticneuron.

Ehh, I didn't say all of them were bankable I just said 2 titles were a little low. But even as such, it just seemed like you implied that thier internal games won't net them some returns. The Playstation line never had to depend on "killer apps" (did I bring this up before?) that seemed like a phrase that entered in this last generation along with the xbox, who really refers to a game as an app? Anyhoo, ppoint I am trying to make is only the Xbox fans seem to make an arguement about killer apps. Look at the top selling games for the PS1 and the PS2 take away the top 5 and what do you have left? how many still sold over a million? how many different genre's are represented there? Now go to the Xbox or the 360, take way the top 3 ( Ill be lenient) and what do you have left? It is a simple fact the the PS lineup of games are stronger. what makes me such a fan is the surprises. The games that come out and completely amaze me. I see none of that happening on the xbox and seriously none of that happening on the 360. As far as future goes I fell my trust is still placed with PS line just because of established and prospective titles as well.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723