By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360sales up in japan need an explanation

360 sales going up in japan and PS3 sales going down in Japan. This is very bad news.

Around the Network

People are making too much claim about this non-event

it is only 1 week !!!, come on !!

Time to Work !

As someone living in Japan I think I can give the actual answer. Recently on the TV Microsoft have been running adverts showing all the upcoming RPGs. So there will be an advert for Star Ocean 4 then saying for 360, then one for Infinite undiscovery. Can't remember if I have seen any for ToV and LR yet. So basically MS have started the advertisements for their big rpgs around now.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

To be honest, i know a lot of you are saying about the upcoming line up but it was the same upcoming line up since a month ago and that's not changed.

What changed was this week it was announce FF13 was coming to the 360 the 'cheaoer' of the 2 consoles it's on. And like that small Amazon.co.jp news story told, 360 sold a few more units.

I think it's Japanese reading the headline and not the article.

*reads Zim answer* Or that above...SE really are idiots if SO4 does not come to PS3 as well. I guess M$ pays well.

Hmm, pie.

libellule said:

You have clearly no clue. 360 over 4 weeks has been rising, and PS3 over same period has been declining. Not 1 week as you say. but 4 consecutive weeks.

Around the Network

Seriously I think that getting the Final Fantasy main series, whether it will release in Japan or not, does miracles for the image of the console there. It means that Square is serious about 360. Together with the great number of RPG's I think 360 can become more successful in Japan. I don't think they'll ever break the 10k boundary regularly though.

It's nothing more but a temporary bump in sales. It will probably calm even out and then go back to usual when the PS3 matches the 80gig price with the 40gig.

Japan has a Sony fan base, they will try the 360, but it won't stop them buying a PS3. After the TGS, expect a big bump in PS3 sales in Japan.

In fact, expect a big bump in PS3 sales everywhere after TGS.

1 week improvement in sales is good, but not as good as better ongoing sales. It took a price drop to compete against a higher priced console with a smaller games library!

disolitude said:
bigjon said:
I still think it is funny that MS has bought an entire library full of Japanese type games and the 360 still has awful sales. I think looking back at this gen many people will agree that MS should have focus more on locking up their homeland, then Europe instead of firing empty round into Japan...

I still think its funny that Sony is making all these FPS games to cater to the American market yet they still have awful sales in Japan and not much better sales than 360 in NA. Shouldnt they be making more effort to capture the japanese market?

hmm this does not seem like the same situation at all...

360 in Japan 630,000 over about 3 years... (or going on 3 year)

PS3 in NA 5,490,000 over about 2 years...

These blank fires MS is making into Japan have been selling like 200k TOPS.

Some of the PS3 FPS games have done quite well, Resistance, Call of Duty to name 2. Also it is not like Sony has been buying a ton of exclusive rights to FPS games. The only ones I can think of that are exclusive are the 1st Party ones. I am not sure if Killzone 2 is 1st party or not...

In fact MGS4 is the only major 3rd party exclusive that Sony seems to have kept on the PS3. And MGS has always been a Playstation Franchise.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

kowenicki said:
reask said:
colonelstubbs said:
kowenicki said:
colonelstubbs said:

Lets not get carried away here. 360 sales have risen from around 2000 to around 4000. Yes its a 50% percent rise, but thats like saying if it sold 1 one week and 2 the next it would have seen a dramatic rise.

The PS3 still outsold it by what....250% this week?

thats the silliest post i ever saw.   oh... and you need to get some maths lessons - its a 100% increase for the 360 and the PS3 outsold it by 175% ish

Well, i didnt stop to get my calculator out for that blatantly perfectly worked on piece of mathematics. Hence the ? at the end of the sentence. I guesstimated.

Please take the time to read a post before responding to it. Thank you

still there very small numbers by both consoles.

so 250% is shag all.

shag all... lol.  quality.   it is "shag all" especially when it is actually 150% in reality.

oops had A few beers doing that one

selnor said:
libellule said:

You have clearly no clue. 360 over 4 weeks has been rising, and PS3 over same period has been declining. Not 1 week as you say. but 4 consecutive weeks.

Are you saying that 360 is eventually going to get consistently close to PS3 in Japan? If not, then it's a non issue. If so, then I'll make a bet with you.

Until the 360 gets within striking distance on a consistent basis, all this talk is worthless. With that being said, I hope the 360 does get within striking distance to the PS3, that way, sony might get off thier asses and do a better job with getting more Japanese centric games on their console.