By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS3's the only global platform

BenKenobi88 said:
TheBigFatJ said:

As long as you don't count the DS (because it fits in your hands) or the Wii (because it doesn't count), the PS3 is doing pretty good but is still behind the 360 world wide.

Except in Japan where it is doing very badly.

Oh, and some PS3 games are HD, but many do not reach the lowest HD standard. So we should call it a "mostly-HD" or maybe "partially-HD" console.

But almost no games reach the highest HD standard.

What PS3 games aren't in HD?

720p is HD if that's what you meant...not really a question.  720p and 1080p are both HD.

I'm positive COD4 isn't and I know there are others but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Quick refresher: scaling something to 720p does not make it 720p--if it did, every game on the 360 could be considered 1080p (yeah, I know, people hate having this pointed out because it "doesn't matter" but since I think reality *does* matter I feel obligated to point it out).

Around the Network

i love this machine

This is just sad.

How far has Sony fallen from crowing at E3 that "the console war is over 2 years in!" to "Well we're the leading global HD platform"

I know it's their job to put a positive spin on all news but sometimes it's just too much.

To those who asked:

DS software shipments according to Nintendo were 185.6m in the twelve months ending March 31, 2008. PS2 software shipments, as I suspected were lower according to Sony: 154m in the twelve months ending March 31, 2008. PS2 has a bigger base, but its losing alot of active users to the newer machines now. PSP software shipments for the same time frame were about 56m.

PS3 software totals have yet to reach even half the one year DS software total worldwide per Sony's own website

Like I said - DS is the top platform in the world for software right now.

For the record, about whoever called handhelds a niche: Gameboy shipments were 118m which means only PS2 has topped it, and only in the last year.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

To those who asked:

DS software shipments according to Nintendo were 185.6m in the twelve months ending March 31, 2008. PS2 software shipments, as I suspected were lower according to Sony: 154m in the twelve months ending March 31, 2008. PS2 has a bigger base, but its losing alot of active users to the newer machines now. PSP software shipments for the same time frame were about 56m.

PS3 software totals have yet to reach even half the one year DS software total worldwide per Sony's own website

For the record, about whoever called handhelds a niche: Gameboy shipments were 118m which means only PS2 has topped it, and only in the last year.

Thats it, The Source entered with facts and figures. Battle him if you dare

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
TheSource said:

To those who asked:

You went trough all that trouble to prove your own point? of course the DS has more software than ps3 how long has it been out, and how long has the ps3 been out? how much does the DS cost? how much do the DS games cost? Why would anyone compare a handheld to any console? sony was talking about PS3VS360. to them(and alot of people) the wii is not really there line of site, i mean just look at the wii games. and after Nintendo's E3 showing the wii became even more of a none issue to MS and sony. are those your type of games? they sure hell aint mine, yes they will appeal to the mass market, and sell millions but what about the real games?
I hope the next consoles form MS and sony dont end up going 100% casual. yea they will make alot of easy money,but those type are not what the gaming world needs.

ask yourself this( everybody) if everything did go casual would you be happy about it?   ( wow i went really far with this right? LOL)

There was a stretch there over the last few months where Sony executives weren't retarded.

E3 ended that, apparently.

TheSource said:

To those who asked:

118m is only if you combine gameboy and gameboy color sales (along with all the other iterations of the gameboy over the 12 years it was current or semi current).  If you seperate the gameboy and gameboy color sales the total is well below that.  Yes, they were able to draw the 1st generation of handhelds out for over a decade because there was no real competition after the game gear flopped, but nevertheless the 118m was not for a single line of handhelds (the PS2 slim or PSOne did not have any major feature changes like the color did, they were just smaller).  

The handheld market is still far from the majority of hardware and software dollars, its under 30% of console/handheld sales (even when the DS sells more pieces they cost a lot less then new console games, often half as much).  I would still say a less then 1/3rd slice of the total market is niche.

It probably should be higher, but thanks to rampant PSP piracy it won't be this generation.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

It's funny how when Sony and MS talk about 360 and PS3 they always have to include that HD thing to make it work haha. Well if they want to separate themselves into just an HD market devoid of the rest that's fine. But that market is not looking too good then comparatively haha. Latch onto the Wii, or the handheld market or something to keep them still alive becuase otherwise generation over... that's looking pretty bad.

Impulsivity said:
disolitude said:
Impulsivity said:

I still don't get what the draw of the 360 is anyway...who was feeling disappointed with the games in the PS2 and late PS1 generations? Does anyone really like having to buy multiple consoles and sets of accessories to play all the good games? Who would be worse off if the PS4 and Wii 2 were the only consoles next generation? Even Microsoft would be losing less money and be better off in that scenario.

Perhaps the fact that 360 gaming library smokes ps3s. Or the fact that sony online gaming today looks like a cheap knock off of xbox live from 3 years ago. People may preffer the xbox for these things...

The bottom line is that with the year later start, PS3 still hasn't brought anything new to the table.

And its not like Sony didn't try...Sixxaxis motion controls are an epic fail...bluray is proven to be unecessary for gaming with installs and slow load times...cells extra power has shown to be completely useless due to crappy architecture/video processor and lack of unified ram.

So I ask you instead...whats the appeal of PS3? MGS4? the fact that you owned ps1 and ps2 and now feel compelled to buy ps3?

FF13?...of wait, scratch that one...

That 360 has the better gaming library argument is a myth especially lately. Quick name one must have 360 only game that came out in 08! Anyone? Anyone? (NG2 sucked and the sales/reviews showed that, so don't try to say that NG2=MGS4 or anything)

Yeah, the 360 games coming out lately (and in the future) don't stack up against those of PS3.  As for established libraries, yeah, I'd say 360 has the edge.  A 1-year head start will do that, of course.