By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS3's the only global platform

Pretty sure they are not talking DS, since after all who goes into a store and thinks "do I want a PS3 or a DS"? The DS may sell the most but its not at all in the same fight as the other consoles.

Incidentally even the DS hasn't made it seem like consoles are dying to handhelds. Even the Nintendo handhelds have yet to pass up the Playstation 1 much less the PS2. It's still pretty clear that the future is consoles (with handhelds staying the niche market they've been since the 80s).

Also I'm pretty sure they were talking PS3 vs 360 since they compete for games. Usually the Wii is done seperately (there are very very few PS3 or 360 games that are shared with the Wii) so Sony doesn't really care as much about being ahead of them.

If Sony can get MS out of the Market both Sony and Nintendo will have lucrative futures. Sony will have consolidated the HD market and pull much better numbers then this generation and Nintendo will keep at it with the casuals and pull good numbers at the low end (along with Sonys last gen system).

Either way the two HD console makers seem to care more about knocking each other out then whatever Nintendo does (and rightly so). The market for HD games is at least as big as the market for casual games, its just that the HD market is split while the casual market really isn't.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network
TheSource said:

What a load of bull. DS sold more software in 2007 then all other platforms, including PS2 and PC according to reports issued by groups like DFC & IDC. PS3, 360, Wii, PSP all trail by far in comparison.

What do the financial reports from Nintendo say about DS games sold last year?

Wow... That's very convenient omissions of certain truths... like Wii even existing and 360's huge installed base advantage in the US.

Besides how many games sell great in Japan and the west? Some but not too many...

Oh, Sony! You kidder, you!

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/22/sony-final-fantasy-xiii-jump-ball/

Peter Dille, Vice President, Sony Computer Entertainment of America : ... “Let’s look at what happens when you have “Metal Gear Solid” on your platform … when the NPD numbers come out … I think you’ll see the value of what a real exclusive title does and how it raised the bar for PS3 versus 360.

He has a point as the PS3 outside the Xbox 360 about 2-to-1 in the US in June.

However, even with that, it still trailed the Wii by about 50%. So what is the global console platform again?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
jenny said:
But their still in third place or last place so other consoles at this point are still very lucrative to developers. Wii has the high install base the the 360 has the high attach rate.

wii can not do hd games, wii cannot do proper next gen games

360 doesnt have higher attach rate, you are getting sifted in my microsofts spin. you are referring to an attach rate after nearly 3 years(360) and comparing it to attach rate for 2nd year(ps3)

the attach rate dribble has already been debunked.

360 currently has higher attach rate because of the numbers of consoles sold and over a year head start.

i say both when leveled out are similar.

when ps3 is at around the same total sales as 360, then please make an attach rate ratio.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Griffin said:
TheSource said:

What a load of bull. DS sold more software in 2007 then all other platforms, including PS2 and PC according to reports issued by groups like DFC & IDC. PS3, 360, Wii, PSP all trail by far in comparison.

What do the financial reports from Nintedno say about DS games sold last year?

Nintedno said nothing at all.

Nintendo's financial report for the year ending March 31st 2008 has the DS selling 185,620,000 units of software.

Gnizmo said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
True. Sony still dominates in all territories.

Unless you look at the Wii of course. I don't know how they can claim to dominate in Japan, or even be close to a dog fight with even the 360 in America. What a bunch of PR nonsense.

How about outselling the 360 for a number of months in NA.

I have to admit its amusing he ignores the wii and its current world domination

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Pretty sure the 360 has been outsold every month this year worldwide, which is the point thats being made. I bet that the PS3 will be the number 2 console by the end of the fiscal year, and will prob still be a bit behind in NA. That's good for me though since I tend to like games that sell well internationally (like Uncharted) as much if not more then "American" themed games.

Sony doesn't care about the Wii, its doing just fine vs the Wii with its old system (look at the continued strong PS2 sales to casuals) and will do just fine vs the Wii 2 with the PS3 in 5 years.  What matters is either Sony or MS exiting stage left so one can be the HD console and stop splitting sales.  If there was only one HD console there wouldn't be this "which will sell better, Mario Kart or one of the two console versions of GTA4?" bit.  GTA4 would be ahead hands down (just like GTA3, SA and VC) because there would only be one platform with all the HD sales.  As a bonus the games would be better because there wouldn't be the porting problems that degrades the quality.

I still don't get what the draw of the 360 is anyway...who was feeling disappointed with the games in the PS2 and late PS1 generations?  Does anyone really like having to buy multiple consoles and sets of accessories to play all the good games?  Who would be worse off if the PS4 and Wii 2 were the only consoles next generation?  Even Microsoft would be losing less money and be better off in that scenario.  

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me