By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is worth more than Sony!

Entroper said:

We know that Sony has vastly more assets, and more sales, but what a company is worth is measured by market capitalization, and how well a company is doing is measured by its return on invested capital.  The point is actually illustrated very clearly by the chart you posted above.  Sony has $89 billion in assets and made $1.05 billion in profits.  Nintendo has $10 billion in assets and made $0.84 billion in profits.  Which company is getting a better return on its investments?

For everyone else, see how I just did that without calling vizunary a fanboy? 

ok, ok... I've always understood what these numbers mean.... I don't know, maybe it was the vast generalization of the whole thing just peeved me for some reason. I'm not saying you're wrong(AT ALL) this is a legitimate way of looking at the scenario "profit per assets" But using the same formula I could show that the one beer store within 30 miles is "worth" more than either Sony or Nintendo, just making a point. Everything depends on how you look at it.

@Lingyis again I'm not blocking anything out using my "fanboyism"... truly if any of us could go back and get a couple thousand shares of Nintendo before it rocketed, that'd be great.

PS. I've been playing the Big N since the NES, I don't have anything against them or their machines, they just turned me off with the N64 and I went to PS, but FINALLY they've got a reason for me to get a Nintendo(the Wii) I just don't think it's worth $250, I'll get it when it cheapens up. Remember the whole argument about "perceived value"  just like the PSP, it's worth, heh, is about $150 to me and that's when I'll get one.

Around the Network

i hate anything to do with stock market and all the crapola.

just how the hell is it possible for google to be worth more then General Motors ? crazy ass world we live in.

vizunary said:
Entroper said:

We know that Sony has vastly more assets, and more sales, but what a company is worth is measured by market capitalization, and how well a company is doing is measured by its return on invested capital. The point is actually illustrated very clearly by the chart you posted above. Sony has $89 billion in assets and made $1.05 billion in profits. Nintendo has $10 billion in assets and made $0.84 billion in profits. Which company is getting a better return on its investments?

For everyone else, see how I just did that without calling vizunary a fanboy?

ok, ok... I've always understood what these numbers mean.... I don't know, maybe it was the vast generalization of the whole thing just peeved me for some reason. I'm not saying you're wrong(AT ALL) this is a legitimate way of looking at the scenario "profit per assets" But using the same formula I could show that the one beer store within 30 miles is "worth" more than either Sony or Nintendo, just making a point. Everything depends on how you look at it.

@Lingyis again I'm not blocking anything out using my "fanboyism"... truly if any of us could go back and get a couple thousand shares of Nintendo before it rocketed, that'd be great.

PS. I've been playing the Big N since the NES, I don't have anything against them or their machines, they just turned me off with the N64 and I went to PS, but FINALLY they've got a reason for me to get a Nintendo(the Wii) I just don't think it's worth $250, I'll get it when it cheapens up. Remember the whole argument about "perceived value" just like the PSP, it's worth, heh, is about $150 to me and that's when I'll get one.

I want to reinforce this: having many conversations with Vizunary, he's very open about his likes and dislikes. And he's made it clear -- the only thing he's really automatically for/against is the 360, because he hates Microsoft. He's said this openly and repeatedly. He has praised Nintendo on many occassions, so please, let's stop calling him a fanboy. 

On the flipside, thanks for the apology Viz (even if it wasn't directed at me).  You're absolutely right that a Company's worth can be calculated in many ways, and that truth should be noted by everyone. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

vizunary said:

Some nerve calling me a fanboy, you and GBallZack are the personifications of Wiiboys. So how about I explain what I said in the first place:

1st, if you meaning gaming division, then say so.

2nd, stock value isn't company worth, ALL assets must be accounted for, the entire corporation, if liquidated, which is WORTH<-- you picked this word, are you still telling me that Nintendo Corp. is WORTH more than Sony Corp.? I still have yet to see company assets anywhere here. This is the closest I came-

for Nintendo, from Hoovers.com a D&B company<--- that would be Dun & Bradstreet for all you financial wizards.

Key Numbers

Key financials for Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Pink Sheets: NTDOY)

Company TypePublic (Pink Sheets: NTDOY; Exchange: Tokyo)
Fiscal Year-EndMarch
2006 Sales (mil.)$4,327.1
1-Year Sales Growth(9.6%)
2006 Net Income (mil.)$836.6
1-Year Net Income Growth2.9%
Get more Key Numbers
for Sony, same source

Key Numbers

Key financials for Sony Corporation (NYSE: SNE [ADR])

Company TypePublic (NYSE: SNE [ADR]; Exchange: Tokyo)
Fiscal Year-EndMarch
2006 Sales (mil.)$63,541.2
1-Year Sales Growth(4.6%)
2006 Net Income (mil.)$1,050.7
1-Year Net Income Growth(31.0%)
2006 Employees158,500
1-Year Employee Growth4.7%
Get more Key Numbers
So, are we comparing total sales? maybe net income? no and no... well let's look somewhere else- Forbes - Global top 2000 list.

NintendoJapan Technology Hardware & Equip 4.33 0.84 9.79 34.00
164 SonyJapan Technology Hardware & Equip 63.62 1.05 88.75 52.14
Nintendo (other-otc: NTDOY - news - people ) shares rose as high as 46,350 yen ($374.50) Monday morning in Osaka, giving the Kyoto-based company a market cap of 6.56 trillion yen ($52.9 billion) compared to 6.49 trillion ($52.3 billion) for Sony (nyse: SNE - news - people ). It fell back below Sony in the early afternoon as investors took profits, dropping 50 yen (40 cents), or 0.11%, to 45,400 yen ($366). Sony was trading at 6,470 yen ($52), down 80 yen (65 cents), or 1.22%. - Forbes.com
Overall, I was mainly saying that the title of the thread is misleading, and as far as total company value, Nintendo isn't even in th same game, sorry, but 4.3 billion in sales compared to 63.5 billion(USD) isn't much of a comparison. I think overall we're talking about different things...... what an utter waste of time this has been

huh, as i'm reading this, i am beginning to find it hard to believe you know what you're talking about. as to "the thread is misleading", yeah, you can argue that, but it really all comes down to the word "worth". which, starts becoming a matter of semantics. but anyway, say it's "net worth" you're talking about. well then you're listing only assets. what happened to liabilities if you're trying to be objective? in addition, after saying the thread is misleading about "worth" (net worth), you go on to quote sales figures, which is not related to net worth a all. all these inconsistencies. how are you gonna convince anybody what you are trying to say?

EDIT: most people have trouble making statement that are consistently logical, especially since this is only a forum.  the above again, is a little harsh.  hmm.  i've been harsh twice in the same thread now.  sigh.

the Wii is an epidemic.

vizunary said:
FishyJoe said:
Sigh, it's not even worth explaining business to fanboys. It's like wasted breath.

Some nerve calling me a fanboy, you and GBallZack are the personifications of Wiiboys. So how about I explain what I said in the first place:

1st, if you meaning gaming division, then say so.

2nd, stock value isn't company worth, ALL assets must be accounted for, the entire corporation, if liquidated, which is WORTH<-- you picked this word, are you still telling me that Nintendo Corp. is WORTH more than Sony Corp.? I still have yet to see company assets anywhere here. This is the closest I came-

for Nintendo, from Hoovers.com a D&B company<--- that would be Dun & Bradstreet for all you financial wizards.

Key Numbers

Key financials for Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Pink Sheets: NTDOY)

Company TypePublic (Pink Sheets: NTDOY; Exchange: Tokyo)
Fiscal Year-EndMarch
2006 Sales (mil.)$4,327.1
1-Year Sales Growth(9.6%)
2006 Net Income (mil.)$836.6
1-Year Net Income Growth2.9%
Get more Key Numbers
for Sony, same source

Key Numbers

Key financials for Sony Corporation (NYSE: SNE [ADR])

Company TypePublic (NYSE: SNE [ADR]; Exchange: Tokyo)
Fiscal Year-EndMarch
2006 Sales (mil.)$63,541.2
1-Year Sales Growth(4.6%)
2006 Net Income (mil.)$1,050.7
1-Year Net Income Growth(31.0%)
2006 Employees158,500
1-Year Employee Growth4.7%
Get more Key Numbers
So, are we comparing total sales? maybe net income? no and no... well let's look somewhere else- Forbes - Global top 2000 list.

NintendoJapan Technology Hardware & Equip 4.33 0.84 9.79 34.00
164 SonyJapan Technology Hardware & Equip 63.62 1.05 88.75 52.14
Nintendo (other-otc: NTDOY - news - people ) shares rose as high as 46,350 yen ($374.50) Monday morning in Osaka, giving the Kyoto-based company a market cap of 6.56 trillion yen ($52.9 billion) compared to 6.49 trillion ($52.3 billion) for Sony (nyse: SNE - news - people ). It fell back below Sony in the early afternoon as investors took profits, dropping 50 yen (40 cents), or 0.11%, to 45,400 yen ($366). Sony was trading at 6,470 yen ($52), down 80 yen (65 cents), or 1.22%. - Forbes.com
Overall, I was mainly saying that the title of the thread is misleading, and as far as total company value, Nintendo isn't even in th same game, sorry, but 4.3 billion in sales compared to 63.5 billion(USD) isn't much of a comparison. I think overall we're talking about different things...... what an utter waste of time this has been

Way to go financial genius, you are looking at financial data from 2006. 2007 numbers have been out for months. Nintendo is in another world financially in 2007. Sales grew 89.8% from 2006 to 2007. Net income grew 77.2%.

You want to judge a company on your basis? Ok then, how about GM? GM has over $207 billion in revenue for 2007. GM has over $186 billion in assets. It makes Sony look like a pipsqueak. Do you want to own GM because of it's revenue and assets??? Be my guest.

Around the Network

Now, now - play nice everyone. No need to go name calling. Stick to the facts, and everything should be fine.

We don't want any more bans coming out of this thread... 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

You can ban me if you want. I stick by everything I say.

FishyJoe said:

Way to go financial genius, you are looking at financial data from 2006. 2007 numbers have been out for months. Nintendo is in another world financially in 2007. Sales grew 89.8% from 2006 to 2007. Net income grew 77.2%.

You want to judge a company on your basis? Ok then, how about GM? GM has over $207 billion in revenue for 2007. GM has over $186 billion in assets. It makes Sony look like a pipsqueak. Do you want to own GM because of it's revenue and assets??? Be my guest.

Really, the numbers I used  WERE for the 2006 FISCAL year, which ended in march 2007, but you're right that is SO long ago they shouldn't even be considered valid any longer. I didn't realize that you travelled to 2008 and brought the 2007 numbers back with you. Post any of this data you have with a source if you don't mind.

@Lingyis, sorry I can't find the data I'm looking for. I'm at work and that was all I can find at the moment, I know I didn't prove my point, just showing different figures that I had at my disposal.

Forbes - Global top 2000 list its current at 3/29/2007(if this isn't good enough then to hell with it), and it includes market value, which is what some like to use, and it's got assets, which is what I was looking for, it'll take me longer to find liabilities, then I can figure assets - liabilities = NET worth<-- that's what I was getting...

Rank

CompanyCountrySales ($bil)Profits ($bil)Assets ($bil)Market Vaue ($bil)
164 SonyJapan 63.62 1.05 88.75 52.14
695 NintendoJapan 4.33 0.84 9.79 34.00

EDIT: Do you know where to look for total company liabilities, I have some software at work that I can pull these type of reports for customers for a fee.... maybe I should talk someone into getting full reports on Nintendo and Sony, then I can view them too ;)  .... I don't think it'd be a good idea to pull them for myself, they'd probably frown upon it, heh.

vizunary said:

Really, the numbers I used WERE for the 2006 FISCAL year, which ended in march 2007, but you're right that is SOOOO long ago they shouldn't even be considered valid any longer. I didn't realize that you travelled to march 2008 and brought the 2007 numbers back with you. Post any of this data you have with a source if you don't mind.

@Lingyis, sorry I can't find the data I'm looking for. I'm at work and that was all I can find at the moment, I know I didn't prove my point, just showing different figures that I had at my disposal.

Forbes - Global top 2000 list its current at 3/29/2007(if this isn't good enough then to hell with it), and it includes market value, which is what some like to use, and it's got assets, which is what I was looking for, it'll take me longer to find liabilities, then I can figure assets - liabilities = NET worth<-- that's what I was getting...

Rank

CompanyCountrySales ($bil)Profits ($bil)Assets ($bil)Market Vaue ($bil)
164 SonyJapan 63.62 1.05 88.75 52.14
695 NintendoJapan 4.33 0.84 9.79 34.00

EDIT: Do you know where to look for total company liabilities, I have some software at work that I can pull these type of reports for customers for a fee.... maybe I should talk someone into getting full reports on Nintendo and Sony, then I can view them too ;) .... I don't think it'd be a good idea to pull them for myself, they'd probably frown upon it, heh.

I get my information directly from the source, the financial reports from the company themselves. You can read the data yourself. The data you presented is clearly from 2006 not 2007. 

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2007/070426e.pdf

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/06q4_sony.pdf

The facts are all there and undeniable.  

RolStoppable said:

I admit to have not much knowledge about financials, but wasn't the period April 1st 2006 - March 31st 2007:

• Nintendo's fiscal year 2007
  • Sony's fiscal year 2006

Maybe that's the reason for a little bit confusion in this thread?

Don't flame me if I am wrong.

The forbes numbers I found were for both N and Sony 2006 fiscal year, which both are from April 2006 to March 2007. I am looking at some different sites, but I'm not gonna buy more recent reports just to discuss them here.