By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why this generation has already been decided

@routsounmanman

"Why does everyone think PS3 will just get revived when MGS4 or FFXIII or any other game appears? It's like the Dreamcast or the Gamecube before it. No game can make it really take of. That's not to say it will not rise in sales. On the contrary. But it won't pass the Wii; not even XBOX360...
"

Thanks for clearing that up. With mental & psycic powers like that you should be making a lot of dough.

Around the Network

@ DarkD... sorry, but the generalization ticked me, thanks for clearing it up... as for BD and HD acceptance, I've explained it b4, that the transition to HD is faster than any other tech change EVER(in regards to TV)... few remember that it took 11 MONTHS for the very 1st DVD, Air Force One, to reach 100k units sold, and BD is already nearing a million(all titles) with I think 3 at the 100k mark. just to clarify, Betamax = no sharing of tech(on Sony's part) and no p0rn, Blu-ray = p0rn(Debbie does Dallas... Again) and the VAST MAJORITY of studio support(only Universal is holding out) @DarkD sorry again

Game_boy said:

It's all very well discussing unit sales, projections and price points, but in truth the seventh generation of video game consoles has already been decided.

Microsoft and Sony are massive corporations with over forty billion dollars of annal revenue and massive profits. In contrast, however, their game divisions each show significant and sustained losses - Microsoft ever since it entered the console market and Sony since the PS3 started to lose them $200 on each one sold and the PSP was a virtual flop against the DS.

This means that if it weren't for their other business, both companies would be dead and bankrupt already.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has always turned a large profit and has had their share value (and therefore how much money the market expects them to make) triple in 18 months due to the DS and Wii.

Result: If the market was fair and Sony and Microsoft couldn't afford to lose billions of dollars every year just to stay in the game market, Nintendo would be the only major competitor left.

I believe if sales continue their current trends Sony and Microsoft will give up and pull out of the console market altogether. I see no financial reason to stay in it for either company.

I know exactly what you are saying and see where you're are coming from, Nintendo has only Video Games to survive and they are cleaning up the competition without Mummy and Daddy there to give them money if they can't make a payment, ignore some of the 360/PS3 nerds that have replied.

People are blowing the point you made completely out of proportion.

"This means that if it weren't for their other business, both companies would be dead and bankrupt already."

How can ANYONE here argue against this????????

bordello said:

@routsounmanman

"Why does everyone think PS3 will just get revived when MGS4 or FFXIII or any other game appears? It's like the Dreamcast or the Gamecube before it. No game can make it really take of. That's not to say it will not rise in sales. On the contrary. But it won't pass the Wii; not even XBOX360...
"

Thanks for clearing that up. With mental & psycic powers like that you should be making a lot of dough.

I was simply expressing my opinion, like everyone else here I suppose.

Around the Network

wow more fanboy rants

ssj12 said:
PSP a flop vs the DS? Wow, 20m sold is flop?

you lost credibility with this post when you said that.

So is GameCube considered a flop?

You come last, you're always going to be talked down no matter 'well' you do.  Its always in the comparison with competitors.

In a 100metre sprint, say you trained for years got fast and ran a world record, however unfortunately some other dude running ran the world record and was 2 seconds faster than you .. you broke 8 seconds but the other dude broke 6 seconds... who are people going to focus on? And who are people going to care most about? 

OriGin said:
ssj12 said:
PSP a flop vs the DS? Wow, 20m sold is flop?

you lost credibility with this post when you said that.

So is GameCube considered a flop?

You come last, you're always going to be talked down no matter 'well' you do.  Its always in the comparison with competitors.

In a 100metre sprint, say you trained for years got fast and ran a world record, however unfortunately some other dude running ran the world record and was 2 seconds faster than you .. you broke 8 seconds but the other dude broke 6 seconds... who are people going to focus on? And who are people going to care most about? 

True. First place takes all. Second nothing. Harsh, but true...

mrstickball said:
They aren't the only company based on simple economics. Microsoft and Sony are in the video game markets for reasons far bigger than just videogames, therefor just using "they are losing money" as an excuse is dumb.

For Sony, they've almost always made a profit until they decided to push more online functions and Blu-Ray technology. As I've said, and will say again, Sony is pushing a machine to push Blu-Ray, therefore the actual benefit of the PS3 to Sony (as a corporation) isn't entirely in gaming. Therefore, their true profits off of videogames isn't entirely disclosed in mere P&L statements for the PS3, nor console losses. So what if the PS3 looses $200? The PS2 lost $120 per system @ launch (give or take), and ended up making Sony billions of dollars.

For Microsoft, they are taking the route of pushing alot of DLC, addons, content upgrades, and such. Consoles aren't their bread and butter, which is why they lose so much. However, their bread and butter are from vista/office sales, and software. Secondarily, they make lots off of servers, to which MS is using their servers for XBL content. For all we know, profits for the H&E division are less because sales of MS Points and XBL Gold subscripts. aren't included.

Nintendo is the only game company because thats all they are. For them, if Nintendo ever lost money, they'd go bankrupt. Sony and MS have the advantage of being able to lose money, and being able to recoup it.

You can extrapolate "oh, if Sony/MS were just videogame companies, they'd be bankrupt" thats just faulty logic. Your assuming that if both companies just made videogame systems, they'd pursue the same stratagies, but they wouldn't. They wouldn't have the massive bits of cash to invest in things that Nintendo can't even invest in. Theres a reason the Wii uses rehashed GC technology - it's cheap. Theres a reason Nintendo can't invest in a fully functioning online network - it costs money Nintendo is unwilling to pony up for quickly, as its alot of money. This is a plus and minus.

For consumers though, the Sony/MS is better in the fact that we gain where they lose. We get systems that are far more powerful for the dollar than the Wii. Which might mean, or not mean anything to various gamers (to me it does though).

Ultimately, your trying to make a hypothetical point thats totally invalid. MS and Sony aren't video game companies. Thats why they sell systems, and what they do works for them.

Pink: Your Display pic typically matches the content in your post.

Red: Make's no sense as is, however makes a little sense if you take Microsoft out.

Blue: Makes even lese sense then the red zone, If I lost $5 in a poker machine do I declare bankruptcy?

Green: I agree, but don't believe it will pay off.

Purple: It's not really working for them at the moment now is it?

Their Bread and Butter is elsewhere, fair enough that's true, but you've gone and said that if video games was all they had they would take different strategies, okay, so basically they don't care if they lose money, "Hey we have so much money lets make a supreme console just for shits and giggles"

I think your wording was just a tad off.

They want to win this War as much as Nintendo are, Profit wise.

routsounmanman said:
Totally agree with vizunary. Monopoly on Nintendo is clearly a wrong thing. Look at the arrogant N64 days. That's what cost them the 1st place to Sony 

The other side is to play all the games you need to buy all 3 consoles vs 1 console

Visit my interactive story site
http://www.catprog.org/story.html