By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trend of spitting on casual gamers...

ckmlb said:
tabsina said:
ckmlb said:
People who watch crappy movies carry the movie industry, should they get respect?

Same with people who listen to crap music.

offtopic addition: ... or watch reality shows

Reality show watchers contribute to tv stations making money, should I respect the people who watch that garbage?

Gears of War, God of War, Killzone, and so forth are simply no better. They're violent fantasy lands for young males.

Your suggestion that these games are sophisticated, while Reality shows are for philistines, is patently and obviously false. Educated adults don't watch many reality shows, I agree with that. Nielson has consistently shown that the primary audience for these types of shows are in the 15-30 year old range. 

And guess what? The games you apparently think are way more sophisticated attract the exact same people. Just as adults tend to prefer Law and Order (or don't watch T.V. at all), adults tend to prefer Wii Sports to Metal Gear, The Sims to Gears of War, and Civilization to God of War.

Again, what does this tell you? It tells you that you have it backwards. It's YOUR games that target younger people. It's YOUR games that are equivalent to "crappy movies", and it's YOUR games that target the same demographic as reality shows. So please, stop.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
People who watch crappy movies carry the movie industry, should they get respect?

Who are you to say they are crap?  As long as someone likes them, that's all that matters.  If not enough people like it, it will stop.  I watch my fair share of artsy movies, I even use to go to the Angelika all the time since my girlfriend use to work there, but then I also enjoy movies like Bio-Dome.  As someone likes those crap movies, what is wrong with making them?

As for casual games ruining the industry, that's just crap.  There will always be "hardcore" games because there will always be people that want to buy those games.  As those games get more in demand, there will be more made.  

I'm a hardcore WII-gamer so fuck you if you don't feel that way!!
Sorry mods, had to get it off my heartaching chest.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

WiiGirl76 said:
I'm a hardcore WII-gamer so fuck you if you don't feel that way!!
Sorry mods, had to get it off my heartaching chest.

Did I say anything about hardcore Wii gamers?

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

twesterm said:
ckmlb said:

Who are you to say they are crap? As long as someone likes them, that's all that matters. If not enough people like it, it will stop. I watch my fair share of artsy movies, I even use to go to the Angelika all the time since my girlfriend use to work there, but then I also enjoy movies like Bio-Dome. As someone likes those crap movies, what is wrong with making them?

As for casual games ruining the industry, that's just crap. There will always be "hardcore" games because there will always be people that want to buy those games. As those games get more in demand, there will be more made.

By that logic anything that has people wanting it is good. So 50 Cent is a musical genius right? That last Spiderman movie it really made me ask some questions about life and my humanity really...

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:

Except the movies that are valuable have artistic merit. The "great games" you speak of do not, and usually have less maturity than the casual games. That's my problem. The "crappy movies" you talk about are things like Pirates of the Caribbean, and Blade, and Spawn, and Men in Black, and Independance Day, et. al. Correct? Then please notice this:

These are big budget movies with tons of action, usually a good deal of violence, and often a good deal of sex. They usually target 15-25 year old males first and foremost.

The "great games" you're talking about have tons of action, usually a good deal of violence, and often a good deal of sexuality. They usually target 15-25 year old males first and foremost.

It's games like Gears of War that are analogous to those "crappy movies."

The art house flicks are usually low budget, have little violence or action, and are enjoyed largely by adults.

The casual games are usually low budget, have little violence or action, and are enjoyed much more by adults than hardcore games.

It's the games like Wii Sports and The Sims that are analogous to art house flicks.

I've said this before, Ck, but you have it backwards. If you MUST make this analogy, it's God of War/Gears of War/Heavenly Sword that are equivalent to the crappy, blockbuster movies, and the casual games that are equivalent to art house flicks.

You generalize again as always that games are not mature and mini game collections are and there's no convincing you otherwise, because supposedly popping balloons on screen is the mature thing to do and fighting people on it isn't.

Also do you want me to go again into the artistic games debate: Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami are games that are artistic. It's up to the people who make games to decide how artistic they make them.

Wii Play and this crap is equivilant to an art house flick in one way only: they are cheaply made by gaming and movie standards. Just cause these games are simple and made on the cheap doesn't make them art house flicks. If I went out now and taped a bunch of crap and then made it into a movie it wouldn't be artistic cause it's cheap...

There is "no convincing me" because all the evidence says you're wrong. The best examples of intelligent adult games are Civilization, Brain Age, The Sims, and Tetris (the latter three of which have seen exclusive incarnations on Nintendo platforms, the middle two Wii exclusives). Yes, I am telling you those are absolutely more mature games than anything you seem to prefer. And again, it shows -- adults play those games a great deal more than they play MGS/God of War/Gears of War.

And yes, absolutely, "fighting people" tends to be less mature. What do you think it is that makes those "crappy movies" so crappy? Why is it that good movies are profoundly less action-oriented? Why are all the blockbuster "Crappy movies" about Spider Man kicking ass, or Will Smith kicking ass, or Jack Sparrow Kicking ass? With the infrequent exception of some War movies such as Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan -- which are basically the ONLY violent films that male teens don't want to watch -- violence tends to be immature.

The games you apparently prefer are almost uniformly about a super soldier/person/spy killing dozens, hundreds or even thousands of enemies in a single mission. It's absurd, and childish, and so perfectly analogous to the "crappy movies" you're talking about I can't imagine why you dont' see it. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

@ckmlb...Eh I mean it in a general way, not to you personal ;)

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

ckmlb said:

That last Spiderman movie it really made me ask some questions about life and my humanity really...

LOL. How about The Key to the City award for Spidey? Breathtaking.

Bodhesatva said:
ckmlb said:
tabsina said:
ckmlb said:

offtopic addition: ... or watch reality shows

Reality show watchers contribute to tv stations making money, should I respect the people who watch that garbage?

Gears of War, God of War, Killzone, and so forth are simply no better. They're violent fantasy lands for young males.

Your suggestion that these games are sophisticated, while Reality shows are for philistines, is patently and obviously false. Educated adults don't watch many reality shows, I agree with that. Nielson has consistently shown that the primary audience for these types of shows are in the 15-30 year old range.

And guess what? The games you apparently think are way more sophisticated attract the exact same people. Just as adults tend to prefer Law and Order (or don't watch T.V. at all), adults tend to prefer Wii Sports to Metal Gear, The Sims to Gears of War, and Civilization to God of War.

Again, what does this tell you? It tells you that you have it backwards. It's YOUR games that target younger people. It's YOUR games that are equivalent to "crappy movies", and it's YOUR games that target the same demographic as reality shows. So please, stop.

First of all, don't call them my games. Second of all: what demographic does Wii Sports target? It targets people who treat games as little meaningless passtimes and little kids. Who else targets little kids? The teletubbies. So should I go around saying that these games are the equivilant of the teletubbies? Your point is pretty ridiculous.

Who cares what demographic they target? The idea that it is targetting this demographic meaning it is by default non artistic is wrong. So there's no one who likes artistic stuff in this demographic?

You are making yourself feel good by claiming that you are playing the 'adult' games because you swing a wii mote as a tennis racket rather than a sword... pretty BS if you ask me. 

twesterm said:
ckmlb said:

Who are you to say they are crap? As long as someone likes them, that's all that matters. If not enough people like it, it will stop. I watch my fair share of artsy movies, I even use to go to the Angelika all the time since my girlfriend use to work there, but then I also enjoy movies like Bio-Dome. As someone likes those crap movies, what is wrong with making them?

As for casual games ruining the industry, that's just crap. There will always be "hardcore" games because there will always be people that want to buy those games. As those games get more in demand, there will be more made.

I agree with this, to an extent. 

I think reasonable, well educated adults can simply agree that something like "The Last King of Scotland" is a superior film to "Scary Movie," even if it grossed less money. You can claim --again, reasonably -- that the artistic and intellectual value of "The Last King of Scotland" make it inherently more valuable to our culture, and I think that's a reasonable argument.

The problem is that this doesn't parallel with video games well at all.  Reasonable, well educated adults not only stay away from Metal Gear Solid / God of War type games in droves, but they actually greatly prefer games like Tetris or Civiliziation. 

It's amazing how backwards he has it. It's the God of War style games that are intended for young male audience (much like the action movies he demeans), and it's the Civilization/Wii Sports style games that are much more directed at adults.