By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3,PS2 passes 140 million units !

thats way to much,im not so sure even if wii and DS will do that

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
the_bloodwalker said:

For your information PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii ARE already IN Latin America.

In my country they are in many department stores and supermarkets

The PS3 has not launched in Colombia AFAIK, actually I don't think the PS3 has launched in any latin american country other than Mexico.

Thats some big cojones Kaz has saying that, already the other Fanbots are tossing this piece of news like a dead animal carcass. I don't know but it seems everyone forgets how HD is Today's and The Future, an HD setup will be incomplete without a PS3. Wii is an accessory, and the 360 is getting old...

I think that the one point people have missed about the whole PS3 10-year lifecycle is what Microsoft will do. Does everybody forget that the 360 came out a year ahead of the PS3. That would put their next gen console 1 or 2 years away. If we go by the lifespan of the original Xbox and the 4 year lifecycle the next xbox will be out NEXT YEAR!! Plus I would put it past MS to release the system with comparable specs to the PS3 and the same price just to try and put Sony out of the market.

Remember your history or you are doomed to repeat it.

Viacom Boycott

ssj12 said:

claude we are not talking jsut 2 years. With the PS3 having 10+ years on its life, see PS2's life, it is possible if the price can drop enough. I expect the PS2 to have another 4 - 5 years like I said, the PS3 will have at least another 14 years. The PS4 will be released when the PS3 is 10 giving it another 6 years till it reaches its life's end.

That's odd.  I keep looking at your post but your avatar isn't from Kim Possible at all.  Are you actually being serious??? Half the internet is running around screaming at how ludicrous a 10 year life cycle is for the PS3 and you are talking about it going on for "at least another 14 years"?!?!?

How can you possibly believe that?

It's almost guaranteed that within 5-6 years if not sooner MS will launch another console more powerful than the PS3.  If the PS3 can't hook the casual mainstream since the Wii has cornered that market, what will happen after MS launches a graphical powerhouse to take the core gamers?  Sure, Sony could theoretically keep the PS3 in production for another 15 years.  But that doesn't mean it'll have decent software support or any kind of substantial sales. 

If Sony truly waits till 2016 or so to launch PS4 they will have conceded tremendous marketshare in the next generation to the other competitors.  It's taking them long enough to overcome the 360's 1 year, 5million+ sales lead.  If they actually give MS and Nintendo 3 years or so then they might as well wait out the next generation and try later as it'll be futile to try to come back from a much bigger lead.

And unless the PS3 goes absolutely crazy and has at least 40% marketshare before PS4 is released it will quietly die off instead of living on for years like the PS2.  The 10 year life cycle is pushing it but your 14 year+ life cycle is just ridiculous.

Around the Network
alucardremixed said:
Thats some big cojones Kaz has saying that, already the other Fanbots are tossing this piece of news like a dead animal carcass. I don't know but it seems everyone forgets how HD is Today's and The Future, an HD setup will be incomplete without a PS3. Wii is an accessory, and the 360 is getting old...

Engadget recently had an article showing that 65% of Wii owners already use HDTVs.  They don't care that the Wii isn't an HD console.  And how exactly is a HD setup incomplete without a PS3?  I'm assuming you're speaking of BR.

Give it a year or so and standalone players will be cheap enough that people won't be buying PS3s for just BR anymore.  Sure, PS3 may still be a better BR player since you can update it but the consumers who wait till products drop that low usually don't know or care about things like that.  When Toshiba started the $99 sale on the HD-A2 HD-DVD player it sold really well even though it couldn't even do 1080p.

NewGenGamers said:
I think that the one point people have missed about the whole PS3 10-year lifecycle is what Microsoft will do. Does everybody forget that the 360 came out a year ahead of the PS3. That would put their next gen console 1 or 2 years away. If we go by the lifespan of the original Xbox and the 4 year lifecycle the next xbox will be out NEXT YEAR!! Plus I would put it past MS to release the system with comparable specs to the PS3 and the same price just to try and put Sony out of the market.

The Xbox had a short lifecycle due to a very specific reason - Nvidia made it impossible for Microsoft to get GPUs manufactured. Without GPU, no console. The same won't happen with the 360 since Microsoft owns the rights to all the hardware this time.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5,
I didn't know that about the original Xbox, I thought that was a planned thing by Microsoft. However if they do follow the traditional 5 year lifecycle rule, then the new console would be out November 2010. Thats only 4 years into the 10 year lifespan of PS3. Plus like I said before MS, will most likely undercut them just to grab a bigger slice of the pie.

Remember your history or you are doomed to repeat it.

Viacom Boycott

mike_intellivision said:

The PS3 offers a great value -- for those who need their movies in High Def. But unlike the PS2, it requires users to make a complete library change. This did not work for Atari in a competitive environment.

Mike from Morgantown

I'm not too sure that making the Jaguar BC with the 7800 would have helped it's sales much ...

Does all this talk about Sony's projected future sales and "things going according to plan" have anything per chance to do with the recent announcement of losing exclusivity of FF13? Perhaps all these announcements from Sony are them desperately trying to reassure the consumer just as when they flooded the market with info about the PS4 when things looked their worst for the PS3 to reassure everyone the Playstation wasn't going anywhere?

I haven't seen this much "Future Proof" spinning since 2007. Anyone else see what I'm seeing or is my contribution here just antagonistic?