By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS .. does anyone notice this ?

If you watch Escape from New York, you'll notice how similar David Hayter and Kurt Russel's characterizations are, too. I don't know if that was a conscious thing on Hayter's part, or if the director/casting director pushed him in that direction.

The characters in Metal Gear have been based on various actors over the years. As someone pointed out, Snake was originally inspired by Michael Biehn's character in The Terminator. In Metal Gear 2, he became Mel Gibson after Kojima saw Lethal Weapon:

And Big Boss's inspiration in that game was fairly blatant...

It wasn't until Metal Gear Solid that Kojima really got the confidence to do his own thing rather than an amalgam of famous movies and movie characters, although obviously the inspiration was still there. Apparently Snake's face in that game (which has become his modern image) was based on Christopher Walken, though I don't really see the resemblance much.

Around the Network

Here's a cool one from MGS4: The numbers of the channels at the beginning of the game are a reference to the numbers from the show "Lost". 15, 16, 23, 42, 48(4&8).
Source: IMDB

Its a loose reference to that character, but honestly Plisken in that movie really isn't all that impressive. Snake's character is so much more thoroughly developed that it really isn't even funny.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Lol, Escape from NY was on TV today.. ahaha

Starmistkarmic said:
NNN2004 said:
AnarchyWest said:
im surprised i thought every MGS fan knew this
Kojima bases some of his names and titles off movies that inspired him

but ..... this movie .. for a famous game ??!!! sad thing :(

It's not the movie, but the character. Escape From NY and MG couldn't be more different as stories unless they made Escape From NY a romantic comedy. Kojima pays homage to many different movies and books in his games as do many other game makers. Did you know some of the dialogue from COD4 was lifted , word for word, for the some of the dev's favorite movies as a homage ?

but .... this guy >>>

is SNAKE ??!! comon he didnt found better character ?

Around the Network

@NNN2004
I guess Kojima's taste in American badass characters and ours are just different. He used Snake Plissken because he was impressed by him. Just count yourself and all gamers lucky that Kojima didn't find Steven Seagal or Van Damme impressive. lol

Starmistkarmic said:
@NNN2004
I guess Kojima's taste in American badass characters and ours are just different. He used Snake Plissken because he was impressed by him. Just count yourself and all gamers lucky that Kojima didn't find Steven Seagal or Van Damme impressive. lol

Lol.. amen to that

I think that to say that a movie could inspire a videogame is insane and anyone who suggests that is a witch. *Cackle*

Xen said:
Starmistkarmic said:
@NNN2004

Lol.. amen to that

yah .. afte that we will end with the cock puncher character lol. ( see the onion movie & u will understand )

now i should make a new thread & see how many game make homage for movies.