By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony giving in to digital movie distribution = acknowledging MS was right?

alpha_dk said :

"""I have shown absolutely nothing about VoD growth?  Look at my links again.  One of them is for a little site called Hulu, and how many people used it in April, 2008.  That site was launched end of august (so basically september) 2007.  In less than a year, the site grew to be bigger in a single month than BR sales combined over twice the time period.

I have done NOTHING but show you hard evidence and data, and analysis.

If you have problems with my analysis, that's your prerogative; however, don't try and pretend I am not backing it up.  I am taking into account the most inclusive data I have to fight against my argument, and deliberately only giving myself a small subsection of digital distribution to go against the entirety of Blu-ray; guess what?  DD still is more 'mainstream' than Blu-ray, and is seeing massive growth right now."""

==> but the growth of 1 site or even the revenue generate by this site doesn't mean a lot.

Revenue is not the matter here (on this point). We are more talking about market share.

Maybe it is getting lot of cash because they get lot of money for each download ?

Also, since we only have informations about revenue, it shows nothing about "mainstream" or not. 

Time to Work !

Around the Network
libellule said:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/18/nielsen-videoscan-high-def-market-share-for-week-ending-july-13t/

TOO BAD, BR is already at 12% is the US to 20

It is not a lot,
sure
but DirtyP2002, ur datas are outdated ...

a average 3% market growth will make it at 27% for Xmas08 ... not so bad.

Mainstream, 80% for Xmas09 ... As I was guessing some posts ago. 

It is not a lot, sure
but DirtyP2002, ur datas are outdated ...

That was the week Batman came out. This is like you would take the MGS week as an example for the PS3 sales. The average marketshare was 6.38 % for the period from 2008-03-23 untill 2008-06-15. And still: the US is the greatest HD-market of the world.

The price for one Blu-ray movie is just way too high here in Europe / Germany. One movie cost 32€. That is $50 for ONE movie. This is far away from mainstream.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

321tttrini4everz said:
alot of people don't have/can't afford internet...that is a big problem for VoD

Well... Those people can't afford a Blu-Ray-Player + HDTV either. That is a general problem for HD.

no way...they can't afford a BLU RAY player at this point...later on they will refer to it because prices will be down.....paying for internet on a monthly basis for some years will not be considered as an option with those same people...obvously they will go with a BR player in 2 years or so

i prefer blu-ray to digital distribution, i want to keep (i.e. rewatch) my films, not see them once, also most digital distribution tv shows and films are only available in the US (all of them at the moment, here in the UK we will probs only get a much smaller range)

Around the Network
321tttrini4everz said:
no way...they can't afford a BLU RAY player at this point...later on they will refer to it because prices will be down.....paying for internet on a monthly basis for some years will not be considered as an option with those same people...obvously they will go with a BR player in 2 years or so

Come on, you can't compare the internet as a thing with a blu-ray-player. I think the internet offers a lot more than a blu-ray-player. ^^ Besides that, the Internet-Userbase is a little bit larger than the Blu-Ray-Userbase. :D

ljgamer said:
i prefer blu-ray to digital distribution, i want to keep (i.e. rewatch) my films, not see them once, also most digital distribution tv shows and films are only available in the US (all of them at the moment, here in the UK we will probs only get a much smaller range)

There are 2 kinds of people I guess. I know lots of people that want to own and collect movies. And I know lots (me included) that watch a movie once in theaters and maybe once on video (download) and never watch it again.

Therefore I preffer digital distribution...

However I don't regularly use my xbox to download movies...having  PC media center plugged in to your TV puts both the PS3 and 360 to shame when it comes to streaming movies