By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony giving in to digital movie distribution = acknowledging MS was right?

haha buying hd videoes online? with a 60 gig? hahahha you could store 1 movie on your harddrive. NO thanks blu ray is the better choice right now.

Around the Network

Companies copy other companies. It has always been this way and always will be. I do not fault a company for implementing something that would benefit their business and their consumers. Maybe it takes a disinterested party to realize this and not fanboys?

The quality of so-called HD downloads is actually less than upconverted standard DVDs due to bit rate constraints. It will be at least 5, probably closer to 10 years before downloads are ready to challenge BR.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=959

libellule said:
To repeat myself :

IF BR becomes mainstream in 2 years

Digital distribution will be mainstream in 7 years !!!

Also, PS3, ALL SKU, have HDD AND BR

On the Xbox360, NO SKU has BR

and only 2 sku on 3, has HDD

So which console offer is the more "coherent" offer at the end ???

Digital Distribution is already more mainstream than Blu-Ray.  All you have to do is look at the viewership of Hulu, one of MANY digital distribution outlets, which in a given month is SEVERAL TIMES the LTD sales of Blu-Ray.

Don't you get it?  Digital Distribution has already beaten Blu-Ray.  It already has a greater mindshare, and greater usage than Blu-Ray.  At the same time, DVD sales are up more than Blu-Ray sales (if you calculate the revenue increase/unit increase from this article, you'll see that most of the physical media gains were in DVD, not blu-ray).

Right now, the movie industry is in a transition from DVDs to digital distribution.  I am sure BR will last a while, as will DVDs (much as the CD has), but the future is written in stone, and it has already started.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

disolitude said:
Lone_Canis_Lupus said:
While I agree people would be hypocritical to be happy about the download service and criticize Microsoft for adding Blu-ray (if they do), I still see Sony supporting Blu-ray as the next movie medium. Just because they offer video downloads doesn't mean they're acknowledging that it's better. Just like offering HDDs on consoles isn't acknowledging that PC gaming is the future.

I see it more like the optional full-game installs announced for the 360. Microsoft isn't acknowledging that mandatory installs are the way to go but rather giving the choice to those people that want to while still letting the people that just want to play instantly do so.

Instead of forcing downloads on the consumer they give the option to those who want to while giving the option to use physical media to the large number of people that would rather have it. Not everybody is going to have the type of connection to download an HD movie quickly. So giving the option for those people that do while still appealing to those who want physical media is good.

I agree that it looks like ithey are trying to give the best of both worlds...however to me it jsut seems that these companies are crossing lines left and right.

Only nintendo seems to be sticking to their vision and is creaming the competition...just food for thought.

Nintendo is the only one making REAL profit. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Sony and M$ on the other hand need these types of services to become more profitable

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Another problem with DRM is the fact that it is encrypted and you can't just play it whenever, wherever. If they, take the encryption off, however, its going to be a pirates paradise.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I'm just wondering... If M$ was "right" then how do you explain the HDDVD add on?

@Leetgeek

lol...i agree...thats so true...lol

alpha_dk said:
libellule said:
To repeat myself :

IF BR becomes mainstream in 2 years

Digital distribution will be mainstream in 7 years !!!

Also, PS3, ALL SKU, have HDD AND BR

On the Xbox360, NO SKU has BR

and only 2 sku on 3, has HDD

So which console offer is the more "coherent" offer at the end ???

Digital Distribution is already more mainstream than Blu-Ray.  All you have to do is look at the viewership of Hulu, one of MANY digital distribution outlets, which in a given month is SEVERAL TIMES the LTD sales of Blu-Ray.

Don't you get it?  Digital Distribution has already beaten Blu-Ray.  It already has a greater mindshare, and greater usage than Blu-Ray.  At the same time, DVD sales are up more than Blu-Ray sales (if you calculate the revenue increase/unit increase from this article, you'll see that most of the physical media gains were in DVD, not blu-ray).

Right now, the movie industry is in a transition from DVDs to digital distribution.  I am sure BR will last a while, as will DVDs (much as the CD has), but the future is written in stone, and it has already started.

==> To me, ur 2 links prove NOTHING about what ur are claiming except maybe that consumers still prefer buy things "in the old style" (BR/DVD) over digital distribution

Also my last link http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/18/nielsen-videoscan-high-def-market-share-for-week-ending-july-13t/

explain you why BR is slowly "eating" DVD sales.

"Online is the future, DVD is the present and BR somewhere between the 2."

Time to Work !

Leetgeek said:
I'm just wondering... If M$ was "right" then how do you explain the HDDVD add on?

I'm not saying microsoft was right. But all of you sony die hards keep stating that sony has a plan where microsoft doesn't and wll addopt or "steal" anything they see fit. This is wrong...sony is ripping off other companies ideas as much as microsoft, starting with achievements(trophies), digital movies...

Microsoft added HDDVD partly because they wanted to help slow down the implementation of bluray. Anyone thinking that microsoft got fully behind the HDDVD format is wrong. Had they done that, bluray movies would have been in discount bins by now. Instead Microsoft wanted to stall the format war for a few years from what it seems...

In any case, this isn't an anti sony topic. Everything stated here is factual and you people can try to "justify" movie downloads saying they are adding choice...but microsoft would have been ridiculed had they added "choice" to the 360 by adding a bluray drive. Think of the double standard before you start bithching how I am anti sony with this topic.

PS. This site is rediculously Sony biased...and I like going against the norm and this is why my posts tend to challenge Sony more than Nintendo or Microsoft.

If Rock_on, Skeeuk and Leetgeek were posting rediculous topics as they are in xbox favour...I would challenge them and appear "anti microsoft" with my topics.