By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone hype/expectations explained.

MikeB said:

Killzone was never anything special the first 2 try's. What makes ppl think 3rd time is a lucky charm?

The previous games according to reviews had technical difficulties, the hefty criticism regarding framerate issue can easily be addressed on the much more powerful PS3.

For the PS3 game they have an enormous bugdet and an enormous group of talented developers. Give Killzone PS3 a chance, it's my most highly anticipated PS3 game together with Ratchet and Clank Future.

I really hate this argument that technical difficulties held it back;

When designing any game, you are limited by certain technical constraints. A good developer works within these limits to craft a compelling experience, however, a bad developer will attempt something thats not practicaly feasible.

It's like saying "my game with 3,000 characters on screen at once runs at >1fps due to the hardware, not because I'm an idiot and designed this game to run on a Geforce 6800". While its true the game would run on more powerful hardware, you're still an idiot for being overambitious and grasping for what you can't reach.

IMHO, this game is hyped on a trailer and a prayer. PS3 fans want this to be a "halo killer", so they hype it incessantly with nothing but asinine arguments to support their opinion. When E3 rolls around, we'll see wether or not this game deserves (undue) praise. Until then, can someone explain how this game is different than a half dozen other announced big budget titles that lack real screens and information?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
Gballzack said:
Anything by EA, Motorstorm and Resistance to name a few I've seen notable frame rate drops, usually hidden in the form of slow motion sequences which I'm finding there is an abundance of in most PS3 games. Like I said though, hopefully this isn't a long term problem with the PS3 or else all of its potential for graphical upgrades will ultimately be a moot point if it has already reached its ceiling of potential processing power.

seen where on your pc lol.

this pretty much sums up every post gballzack makes.

I wish I was that awesome *saves pic*

Though by completely dodging my argument I assume you agree with me on the matter of the PS3 having frame rate drop issues?

killzone 2 will suck a lot.
it will be the worst game ever.
it will be the death of PS3.
people will stop buying ps3 and begin buying x360.
people will be glad to buy new x360 every year(after x360 die), because ps3 is dead.
people will be glad to pay over 100$(why not, pay more for nextgen) for live! per year, because ps3 is dead.
x360 will deliver pc graphics of 2007 year even in 2009, and people will be glad.
people will buy new x720 in 2010 and pay another 800$, because sony won`t make new consoles.
the gaming will be perfect, because ps3 will die!

muahahaha. =)))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Stepping aside from the flaming, I read the lengthy forum posted that was linked to at the top of this thread. This Terarrim clearly has huge expectations about Killzone, but I couldn't find any evidence to support just why that would be the case. Closest I could find was this: If this is what the KZD are up to then this means that bullets going through thin walls will allow light into the room (say) as well as the physics of the debri due to impact from said bullets. This is cutting edge physics with, cutting edge graphics and physics (physics for the wall = fragments = allow light to go through, graphics = draw all debri assets = draw the light shining through the hole). That would be a very nice effect, but I can't see it driving sales beyond a few extreme technophiles. The only thing we know about this game is that a trailer (later proved to be not real-time) was released at E3 2005. As far as I know, there has never been so much as a single screenshot released to the public for Killzone. I'd like to see this game do well, since the PS3 could really use another strong game, but it just doesn't seem likely. Statements like this: So while right or wrong I do believe that KZ may be coming for the most critical spotlight ever seen in gaming history. The expectations are either sky high or people waiting for it to fail so they can tear the PS3 in metephorical small bloody pieces. Have me saying, "huh?" Outside of gaming circles, there are probably few people who have ever heard of Killzone. My advice to Playstation fans (and gaming fans in general, for that matter): enjoy the games you have and pay less attention to future ones. There's always something great on the horizon; the industry works by hyping things that haven't been released yet. Instead of drooling over how great Killzone will be, why not go play Resistance right now? The reality is that the to-be-released games will never be as great as your imagination made them out to be...

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla said:
There's always something great on the horizon; the industry works by hyping things that haven't been released yet. Instead of drooling over how great Killzone will be, why not go play Resistance right now? The reality is that the to-be-released games will never be as great as your imagination made them out to be...

Heh, that coupled with some Halo loving friends is why I can't get into the Halo series. One look into the E3 presentation where they showed off dual wielding (and everybody sounds like they're about to faint) further justifies my uncaring feeling towards it. 

To be fair, let's all remember back to Gabe Newell doing the Demo's of the Source engine with that amazing AI that apparently never made it into Half-Life 2. 

Around the Network
Sullla said:
There's always something great on the horizon; the industry works by hyping things that haven't been released yet. Instead of drooling over how great Killzone will be, why not go play Resistance right now? The reality is that the to-be-released games will never be as great as your imagination made them out to be...

Quote of the year.

@ sieanr

I really hate this argument that technical difficulties held it back

Well that's what some reviews state, complain to them. Personally I haven't played Killzone, but some reviews stated the game developers may have been a little too ambitious.

IMHO, this game is hyped on a trailer and a prayer. PS3 fans want this to be a "halo killer", so they hype it incessantly with nothing but asinine arguments to support their opinion.

I don't think the Halo series is that great, I rather see a Half-Life series killer.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Not to be overly rude but the only reasons why Killzone 2 is being hyped is that they had a very impressive trailer 2 years ago, and there really isn't much in the way of other exclusive PS3 games to hype for this holiday season.

E3 2007 will happen and Killzone 2 will demonstrate good graphics, AI and Physics for the PS3 (but nothing like the trailer). The game will be released in November, get good reviews (mostly 80s) and sell very poorly because few people will buy a PS3 for it and those that own a PS3 will pick up GTA instead; lifetime sales will be less than 1 Million worldwide. 

HappySqurriel said:

Not to be overly rude but the only reasons why Killzone 2 is being hyped is that they had a very impressive trailer 2 years ago, and there really isn't much in the way of other exclusive PS3 games to hype for this holiday season.

They had a very nice prerendered trailer that they tried to pass off as actual gameplay.  And while I don't expect anything great from the game, I expect the sales to go at least over 1 million.

HappySqurriel said:

E3 2007 will happen and Killzone 2 will demonstrate good graphics, AI and Physics for the PS3 (but nothing like the trailer). The game will be released in November, get good reviews (mostly 80s) and sell very poorly because few people will buy a PS3 for it and those that own a PS3 will pick up GTA instead; lifetime sales will be less than 1 Million worldwide.

I am sorry but I don't trust your crystal ball. Things which we actually know for certain:

1) The game has one of the biggest budgets ever for a video game.

2) They have an enormous team of well over 100 developers working on this game.

3) The PS3 is a lot more powerful than the PS2.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales