By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My view on why Sony is currently in 3rd Place.

I see things from the exact opposite angle. PS3 does EVERYTHING while Wii does nothing but GAMING.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

I think it's third place because it cost 650 dollars at launch and took 2 years to get a AAA exclusive title.

I don't know if it will be 3rd place for much longer though.

What's important here is that it will never be first place at anything that anyone can prove without resorting to an opinion.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

i read only 1st paragraph and i knew it will be full of bs. tell me one more time why sony didn't give you a spin-doctoring kind of work?
"It's not because it's the worst game console on the market. The truth is the PS3 is the best gaming console on the market. Has it ever occurred to you that this gen of gaming is more focused on other things? The more focused on gaming a console gets, the further back in the race it gets. Sounds confusing, doesn't it? Well, let me explain."
so then how come ps3 and 360 are selling so badly compared to wii since wii has ONLY games and ps360 are more a multimedia devices than consoles.

The Wii is a gaming only machine. The PS3 is also a Blu Ray player. The 360 is also a DVD player. Your argument fails due to these facts.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I dont agree with most of the OP's opinion, but I do have to agree with his view on the Xbox being marketed as the "online, social gamer" machine.  Ever since the introduction of the first Xbox, Live has been the focus point of the machine.

When I had to replace my PS2 (stupid DRE), several Gamestop employees tried to discourage my purchase. They tried to tell me how great Halo was online  etc...   Its like they  were brainwashed and trying to get me to join a cult or something.  I said look...."im an old man, I dont care about online gaming".  They looked at me like I was nuts. My point is, online gaming is the current trend and MS helped bring that about and they are keeping with that mindset.  Is that a bad thing? Not at all. Go with your strengths and thats what MS is doing. Sony and Nintendo are playing catchup and it lost them some hardcore gamers, I think.

The PS3 is last place mainly because of the high price tag and not enough emphasis on games.  They tried to ram Blu Ray down our throats instead of concentrating on games.  They were too cocky from the last gen and thought they could sell on brand name alone.

Wii is in first place because its new and different and its got cool features the other systems dont have.  Downloading older titles from the T16 and Neo Geo and all the old Nintendos systems is pretty damn cool. 

my 2 cents.

Tifa got MOVES!

Around the Network

So let me try to use your flawed logic on a different way. Basically Wii and the 360 are not focusing on games, rather in bringing people together and share funs, yet the PS3 is fully concentrating on games.

So if this is the case then let me use your analogy with sports. Professional sports such as football, soccer, hockey, etc are not really sports because they are there to entertain and bring people together by watching people going after a ball while drinking beer with your buddies. However, high school sports are real sports because they are not really meant to bring the masses together, rather to get you as a student to go out and participate in the afore mention activities.

Now, my example is pretty retarded but that's the purpose of it, that's how stupid your argument is.

What are you looking at, nerd?
The Fury said:

Interesting but I view it more like this, that Nintendo and M$ are changing their image, Nintendo had a huge revamp and are the fun family interactive console and while 360 was getting the hardcore vote (then breaking down), they now want the casual as well and are making steps to get that.

Sony are jsut doing what they've always done. Making a multimedia centre for your living room. A machine that can play game as well as movies, this is what they did with PS2 and now with PS3. The are catering for casuals in Buzz, SingStar and GT as well as the hardcore with MSG4 and others.

The key point about why they are third though, it was (and maybe still is) too expensive for general populace, 360 was released a year early and Wii is a fad. (my opinion based on general populace)

Just a question; what would Wii have to do to not be a fad in your eyes, if (almost) completely selling out in its second summer after release isn't enough?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Rock_on_2008 said:

The #3 spot goes to the PS3. It has the most focus on games. Is that what they have? Yes. Is that what they're selling? YES. The PS3 is considered a real gamer's machine. It doesn't excel at much else. Though it tries. But that's okay. The main goal of the PS3 is to achieve Realism, Immersion, and Presentation inside a game. The hardware is strictly focused at providing a realistic experience. The PS3 is shouting Riiidge Raaacer to the old and outdated gaming crowd, because we can't hear very well...

Wow, your post might be the most inaccurate thing I have read to date.

Games: Who has the most? Wii. Who has the most quality games? 360 (the PS 3 I think has the best games, but 2-3 does not a system sell).

Who does things other then gaming best? PS3. It's the best movie player, audio player, and video player. Media Center for the 360 is easier to use, but plays lower quality video, and has less codecs.

The reason the PS3 seems to be the most focused on games at the moment, is because that's what it's lacking the most of. The reason that's what it's lacking the most of, is because Sony did not put all of there effort into gaming, they wanted a movie player first.

And depending on how you look at it, Sony is NOW in second place. Unless you think there is something Sony can do to instantly sell 10 million consoles, the only way measure success based on company commitment, is constant sales, not LTD sales. Sony has moved out of 3rd place, and into second.

alpha_dk said:
The Fury said:

The key point about why they are third though, it was (and maybe still is) too expensive for general populace, 360 was released a year early and Wii is a fad. (my opinion based on general populace)

Just a question; what would Wii have to do to not be a fad in your eyes, if (almost) completely selling out in its second summer after release isn't enough?

Sales are not what defines a fad, something could sell loads and not be a fad. The speed of which it has sold those units, maybe.

To not be a fad it would have to do more then sell consoles, it would have to make those people who bought it seriously play games, not just party games but all kinds and on more occasions then just when your friends are round (or in the case of my housemate 'the winter'). Once those people seriously consider buying a Zelda or Metroid game, then things might have changed.

Hmm, pie.

good post Rock_On I agree with you a lot.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees