By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My view on why Sony is currently in 3rd Place.

Godot said:

Fad: a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group.

Trend: the general course or prevailing tendency; drift: trends in the teaching of foreign languages; the trend of events.

A fad is all about time and not about "buying a lot of games". Since, the Wii has been sold out for all its 1 year and 3 quarter existence, I would call it a trend, not a fad.

1)  Trend isn't "demeaning" enough to become a hit buzzword in posts about the Wii.

2)  Using the word "fad" keeps hope alive that the Wii will suddenly crash and crash hard allowing PS360 to make a massive comeback and win the generation.

----

And yeah like others i'm confused as to how the article writer came to the conclusion that Sony was the one focusing most on games. Do I really need to dig up the "Oh yeah, and it plays games too!" poster?

There are several reasons why Sony is currently in 3rd place.  Price, bad PR early on, several PS2 exclusives or notable franchises going multiplat, etc....

At least for them it looks like they've got the momentum going against the 360 and are attacking 2nd at a solid pace.

Around the Network

Train-station is where the train stop...
Bus-station is where the bus stop...
Play-station is where the game...

That's why...

Wii ware-Fatal Frame 4-Street Fighter 4-Sonic Unleashed-guitare hero 3-Disaster-wii fit-mario kart-Sadness-Games who actually use Wii Board...i dont know but,...it seem big enough for me.By the way,im a proud owner of P.E.S 2008  Wii and it kill all the other soccer game.

My Wii code:3553-1619-3236-0339

my Brawl Code:0860-2912-9428

Idk about the PS3 being the most game focused. Didn't Tretton say that "While 2007 we were pushing the hardware in 2007, were now focusing on games in 2008." Not the exact words but he said something similar to that in his press conference. And lets face it the barnd name of Sony and the Blue Ray are what really kep't the PS3 in the race. As far as the Xbox 360 being the social clubhouse...thats a joke. Both the 360 and especiallly the Wii are more game focused than the PS3. As far as being in last, the price point, lack of games, and late release are prolly the biggest contributers to that. But the PS3 is doing fine now :)

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

PS3 doesn't excell at much else? It is also a terrific video player, and has a good online network that is free. Also, Xbox 360 has tons of games, for both social gamers and hardcore JRPG fans and everyone in between. Or at least thats where they are headed with gears 2 fable 2 lips, your at the movies, FF13 ect.

HappySqurriel said:

I'm a little confused, how can you argue that the console which has the most functionality that is unnecessary for a gaming machine is "The Most focused gaming console" while the console which has the least functionality that is unnecessary for gaming is "The Least focused gaming console"?

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the Wii is so successful because the vast majority of gamers have always bought their gaming system because it gives them a new gameplay experience at an affordable price; they have never (really) bought their system because of the movie formats it plays, its modability, the added functionality of the system, or because of how powerful it was. Sony delivered a system that doesn't really offer a new gameplay experience over the PS2 (besides graphics), that is not affordable to the majority of gamers and justifies its cost because of the movie formats it plays, how modable it is, that it has tons of non-gaming functionality, and that it is super powerful.

In other words Sony abandoned what the majority of gamers cared about to focus on what they don't care about and they have seen lower sales because of that.

It's because Rock_On has a very narrow minded view of what constitutes a game and what doesn't.  In his opinion, PS3 has more "real" games (in otherwords, games that he likes), therefore it is more focused on games than the other two.  It's pure elitist fanboyism.

Around the Network

PS3 will be 2nd this time next year and will be 1st by 2017

Is this article from SDF by any chance cause its bias and stupidity resembles the writers from SDF. I guess this was written after they lost FF13 and decided to do some damage control. LOL PS3 is least focused on games and everyone knows it. From bluray, to the cell, to delays and lost exclusives the PS3 might be the least focused on games out of all the consoles ever made

Here are the some reasons:

1) High price, seriously no one was willing to pay $600+ for a console with few good public hit games (which will lead to my second point)

2) Exclusives: Sony is started to lose its exclusives to the 360 (I believe GTAIV was originally a PS3 exclusive, and FFXIII was also supposed to a PS3 exclusive)..

Tag lines
Wii- "Its actually fun and thats what matters"
Xbox 360 "We have the best online service and games"
PS3- "We can do everything the Xbox 360 can do but better"

ljgamer said:
PS3 will be 2nd this time next year and will be 1st by 2011

Fixed. Funny how I changed it from 2017 to 2011.