By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My view on why Sony is currently in 3rd Place.

It's not because it's the worst game console on the market. The truth is the PS3 is the best gaming console on the market. Has it ever occurred to you that this gen of gaming is more focused on other things? The more focused on gaming a console gets, the further back in the race it gets. Sounds confusing, doesn't it? Well, let me explain.

The Wii console has almost nothing to do with the focus on games. Does it have games? Yes. Is that what they're selling. No. Ironically the leading console of the gaming industry is focused on bringing new customers in. It is marketed toward nongamers..of all things. The Wii is shouting it's sales pitch to the world: "Come on in and play games, we made it so easy, and innovative that anyone can play it. The Wiimote looks like your average TV remote and moving it is all you have to do. If you come in, maybe you'll start to like games." The Wii has remained in 1st. Don't forget that it makes a great piece of exercise equipment.

The #2 spot goes to the Xbox 360. It has a little more focus on games. Is that what they have? Yes. Is that what they're selling? Not exactly. You see, the 360 is considered the social gamer's machine. Everything it has surrounds Xbox Live, an online social club where gamers play games with friends. The 360 is shouting it's sales pitch only to the U.S.: "Hey, come on in, and get together with your friends. We made it convienant and superior. We're revamping our Xbox Live Marketplace, all for you. Oh, by the way, you can play games too. But we try to focus with the online aspect. Pick a color and start shooting". Don't forget, we make a great sidekick for your PC.

The #3 spot goes to the PS3. It has the most focus on games. Is that what they have? Yes. Is that what they're selling? YES. The PS3 is considered a real gamer's machine. It doesn't excel at much else. Though it tries. But that's okay. The main goal of the PS3 is to achieve Realism, Immersion, and Presentation inside a game. The hardware is strictly focused at providing a realistic experience. The PS3 is shouting Riiidge Raaacer to the old and outdated gaming crowd, because we can't hear very well...

The sales pitch" Come on in to familiar territory. True, we still have AI enemies...but it's still better than those 8 year old online brats screaming annoying sounds into the mic...at least AI enemies shoot at the opposite team. We have games that make you feel like you're they're. We want you to experience the adventures of the character...through their eyes...and as the creator envisioned it.

And still, the gaming industry is not really about gaming anymore. Let's throw in our once PC rival, along with movies, TV, a little cable, and some music. Make it all into one box and change the gaming industry. Should we even call it the gaming industry anymore....or the online entertainment industry? Is gaming so unpopular that everything has to be scrambled together on one plate just to survive? Or can we eat our eggs, bacon, and toast seperately?

Around the Network

I thought you were done on VGC

Read my article and please give me your feedback. I found this article on another gaming forum site and thought hey this is excellent material. Light hearted and well it is very on the ball in regards to how the gaming market has evolved. The PS3 truly stood out at E3 as providing the full gaming experience.

You are VERY VERY wrong.

If any console is focused games that is the Wii. It's the only thing this console was mainly designed to do. No Blu-Ray, no HDD, no Multimedia downloads.

Weren't you leaving anyways?

So the wii isn't about games. If there were no games for the wii it would still sell? Also if there were none for the 360 it will still sell? Sorry but that makes no sense at all. I could argue that the wii is for games only while the other consoles try to target media areas with the ps3 having blu-ray, tons of video and audio format support, etc. The 360 having videos,music,etc to download. The wii seems to be the console that is the most about games. Also what ever happened to upgrading>

Around the Network

You have sort of complicated why the PS3 is in 3rd place :s

PS3 is in 3rd place for one reason only- Delays. They delayed things so much so often before its launch, during its launch and after its launch, they lost their own user base to other consoles and they killed of the hype and excitement that they had built for the console. It doesn't get any simpler my friend.

With the PS3 and the PSP now working together. With excellent games on the horizon and currently have great games already available on all three platforms PS3, PS2 and PSP and growing online PSN library games and improvements with introducing HOME and updating PSN the PS3 has the most to offer this generation and long into the future.

Fei-Hung said:
You have sort of complicated why the PS3 is in 3rd place :s

PS3 is in 3rd place for one reason only- Delays. They delayed things so much so often before its launch, during its launch and after its launch, they lost their own user base to other consoles and they killed of the hype and excitement that they had built for the console. It doesn't get any simpler my friend.

Umm, not really. But Rock_On is damn wrong as well.

PS3 is in third place because it was extremly high priced without any real good games, and never got good games for a very long time. It also doesn't have the casual like the Wii, and was launched a year after the 360.

Sorry Rock_On but that is an opinion, and shouldn't be introduced as fact.

Rock_on_2008 said:
With the PS3 and the PSP now working together. With excellent games on the horizon and currently have great games already available on all three platforms PS3, PS2 and PSP and growing online PSN library games and improvements with introducing HOME and updating PSN the PS3 has the most to offer this generation and long into the future.

So you really do work for Sony.