By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MAG releasing in Spring?

Zucas said:
Can MAG be ready by then? I mean this is unprecedented in console gaming. Seems like it take a lot more time for that ya know.

Do we know how long it's been in development?

One great (or bad) thing about online only games, is they can constantly be changed. You don't have to get it right on release.

WoW today, is nothing like it was when they first released it. This trend can happen here as well.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
makingmusic476 said:
Soriku said:
When all they've really shown is gameplay...I really doubt it. GoW3 won't be until 2010 and MAG has 256 players online so they need time to perfect it. No way they'll release Spring 2009.

Sony Santa Monica are a great dev team that aren't known for delays.  Given the fact that it only took them two years to make GoWII, and given the fact that they started GoWIII before finishing GoWII, which tells us that GoWIII is already over a year and half into it's development cycle, then a Holiday '09 release isn't unreasonable at all.  It would give the game a little more than 3 years of development time, much like Killzone 2 and others.

I suggest you read some posts (especially naznatips's) regarding GoW3 in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=33961

I see it March 2010 personally =/

That didn't change a damn thing for me. :P

Sony Santa Monica are some of Sony's best developers.  I highly doubt that making a ps3 game will increase dev time by a 33% or more.  It didn't have that effect on Naughty Dog or Insomniac. 

Hell, even Killzone 2 will have only taken around 3 years to develop when all is said and done, if we assume that they started full development less than a year before Killzone: Liberation was released in November of '06.  They just stupidly decided to announce the game long before they were prepared to start development.

That's also why the original CGI trailer looks so different from the final game.

Isn't the Santa Monica studio helping with Killzone 2?

If so, I doubt they would do so if they were so far back in terms of GOW3. It also shows they must know the PS3 architecture pretty damn well.

I don't find it hard to believe in a 2009 release for GOW3.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Soriku said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Soriku said:
makingmusic476 said:
Soriku said:
When all they've really shown is gameplay...I really doubt it. GoW3 won't be until 2010 and MAG has 256 players online so they need time to perfect it. No way they'll release Spring 2009.

Sony Santa Monica are a great dev team that aren't known for delays. Given the fact that it only took them two years to make GoWII, and given the fact that they started GoWIII before finishing GoWII, which tells us that GoWIII is already over a year and half into it's development cycle, then a Holiday '09 release isn't unreasonable at all. It would give the game a little more than 3 years of development time, much like Killzone 2 and others.

I suggest you read some posts (especially naznatips's) regarding GoW3 in this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=33961

I see it March 2010 personally =/

OH NOEZ Naznatips and Soriku have given out the release date for GoWIII.

Well...with all the delays Sony has been giving to every one of their games I wouldn't be to surprised even if Sony Santa Monica thought developing for it was a sinch. Couple that with other reasons listed...and there's our reasonings.

Of course it's not FACT, but it seems the closest thing to reality.

I think it's KZ2 and FFXIII that have given people this false notion that ps3 games take ages and ages to develop.  I've already adressed the Killzone 2 bit above, and the FFXIII thing is just SE being SE.

If you look at the other developers: Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Sony Liverpool, Evolution Studios, etc. all seem to be making games just fine, and Sony Santa Monica are better than half those studios (and arguably all of them).

Hell, even Polyphony Digital, the kings of delays due to their incessant perfectionism, managed to get Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (which is the size of a full game, despite not being labeled as such) out in a timely fashion.  Less than two years, I think.

honestly MAG wont be a challenge for Sony to host. HOME will be the real test.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

If anyone knows how to develop for the ps3 its scea santa monica.

naughty dog (part of the scea santa monica studio group) is home to the ICE team.

What does the ICE team do.

"In addition to our game team, Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's two World Wide Studios central technology groups. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles for the PLAYSTATIONR3, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and GUIprofiling and debugging tools. More recently the ICE Team's scope has expanded in order to build engine components and tools for use by third party developers. The first two of these are PLAYSTATIONREdge, a set of components that enables developers to get better performance out of the PLAYSTATIONR3, and GCM Replay, which provides analysis, debugging, and profiling for the RSXT. "

I think MAG will conflict with Socom, so they'll purposely delay it. But they have to finish the game

I don't trust release dates anymore unless they are less then 2 months away.  Even then... eh.

WHAT IS MAG?!?!

Snesboy said:
WHAT IS MAG?!?!

It is a 256 player mmo first person shooter made by sony