By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sold in japan, Folks Soul bombs hard...

Blue3 said:

but it also show japan market is a joke, its not even about games any more. God forbid the rest of the world does the same.

Can we please stop with comments like this already? Games are games - it doesn't matter what type they happen to be. If the Japanese want to go play electric Scrabble, that's their business. Who are we to tell them that they must play certain kinds of games? I'm sick to death of this elitist mentality that dictates that certain people are "true" gamers and certain games are "true" games. It's all a bunch of baloney.

Incidentally, I guess this is the new line of attack for disgruntled Sony fans: PS3 won't win in Japan because the market is a joke, and they don't have any "true" gamers. Maybe the system would do better if it started releasing more titles that appeal to casual gamers, instead of sticking up its nose at them...

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

It's correct numbers.

Additionally, Zelda is released tomorrow.

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.

Sullla said:
Blue3 said:

but it also show japan market is a joke, its not even about games any more. God forbid the rest of the world does the same.

Can we please stop with comments like this already? Games are games - it doesn't matter what type they happen to be. If the Japanese want to go play electric Scrabble, that's their business. Who are we to tell them that they must play certain kinds of games? I'm sick to death of this elitist mentality that dictates that certain people are "true" gamers and certain games are "true" games. It's all a bunch of baloney.

Incidentally, I guess this is the new line of attack for disgruntled Sony fans: PS3 won't win in Japan because the market is a joke, and they don't have any "true" gamers. Maybe the system would do better if it started releasing more titles that appeal to casual gamers, instead of sticking up its nose at them...

learning english is not a game, cooking is NOT a game.

Zelda, Metroid thats a game.

Blue3 said:

You're wrong.

Don't worry. I've been meaning to make an article on Popzart addressing that very thing.

ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can be a game. There are those who say Life itself is a game.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

One does have to wonder whether the PSN downloadable games, which often have more appeal to casual gamers, are cannibalizing or actually replacing retail software sales on the PS3. With several past weeks where more consoles sold than games at retail in Japan, is it ALL BluRay-driven? I don't think Sony has released any metrics about downloadable content sales.

Contradicting this idea, the XBox 360 is selling retail SKUs and arguably has a much stronger downloadable lineup. And the Wii has the Virtual Console, there's a 1980's nostalgia boom in Japan comparable to our 1970's fondness for the 1950's. So all else being equal, I don't know that this idea means anything. Just a thought.

Around the Network
Blue3 said:

Learning english is not a game, cooking is NOT a game.

How is this any different from playing scrabble, pretending to be a soldier, or driving a taxi ...

I can't comment on the learning english games but most of the "non-game" games are just as valid as any game. In general, videogames represent an instance of a "play" activity that we usually develop as children; these "play" activities are typically role playing an activity they see their parents perform or that they see on TV.

Often you'll see children play "cops and robbers", "soldiers", or pretend to drive cars; these have become well established videogames. Other activities that are now becoming games are dolls, cooking, doctor and (probably in the near future) lego.

I suspect the reason why videogames exist is because as we become older (say 12 or so) we are expected to be far more serious and mature so we are unable to free ourselves to return to imagined play; videogames give ourselves the opportunity to still engage in this important activity.

from John lucas,
Sean Malstrom was right and a new cycle of gaming is taking place. Cinematic games will be on the wane. The market has changed.

==> I love this sentence
"cinematic game", I was wondering how to call these game that make Sony leader, that the good name : "cinematic game"

Maybe you re right, the market is completely different now, people at least in japan just don't care about them anymore. Theyr want something different like nintendo is doing.

Then for Xbox360 AND PS3 in japan, it would be really hard to improve heir sales ...

Time to Work !

Blue3 said:

can any one make a legit translation
PV、体験版が好評ながらもセールス的には読みづらかった「FolksSoul 失われた伝承」が出だし好調な売上を記録。発注を抑えていた店舗も多く、出荷数も少なかったために売り切れ店が続出している。といっても、今日メーカーからの再出荷があるため、明日には流通に乗り、週末には店頭で買えると思われる。が、それでも追加発注を渋っている店舗も少なからずあると思われるので、確実に手に入れ たい人は予約での確保をオススメ。

Simple translation with my comments

Folks Soul, which it is hard to estimate the sales however PV and trial version is well recievd, is record the good start. First shipments is small (My comments : about 20k) because there are many shops order small number. So in many shops, it is sold-out. But second shipments are out today(yesterday) and it is in distribution tomorrow(today), so it is seemd that we can buy it at stores at weekend. Even so, there are some shops orders very small number, I recommend you to preorder it.

Normally, infos on internet is based on the infos about small retailer and small wholesale stores. So they are lack of infos about the large retailers order great number.

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.

I'm totally destroyed... I have to ask...

@ y-koron

Do you like sumo? 

johnlucas said:
Blue3 said:

You're wrong.

Don't worry. I've been meaning to make an article on Popzart addressing that very thing.

ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can be a game. There are those who say Life itself is a game.

John Lucas 

Hurray I bought an console to learn english and learn to cook!
Moehaha  now I am a real gamer haha...

Sigh