By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5.... coming in 2010?

will this really have over 1000 cars?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
shams said:

--OkeyDokey-- said:

With all of the work his company is putting into the next console GTinstallment, Yamauchi tells us that it hasn't forgotten the long-delayed Gran Turismo 4 Mobilefor PSP. He confirms that the game - originally announced at E3 2004 - is still actively in development, although it isn't planned for release until after GT5. That would be 2011 for those with pen and calendar in hand.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/17/kazunori-yamauchi-more-prologue-no-gt5-soon-gt-psp-still-comi/

WTF?

Previously they PROMISED it would be out BEFORE GT5 was released - NOT after it!

I just can't believe this... holidays 2010, or later? Good luck... no guarantees the PSP (1) will still be active in 2011...

They still release DC games every now and then...

Griffin said:
kn said:
DogWeed said:
eliasg said:
so FORZA 2 AND FORZA 3 before Grand Turismo...

You are so pathetic SONY...

i laugh at your idiotic mind.

compare forza to gran turismo, without laughing your ass off

Ok, I'll bite. I've got GT5:Prologue and Forza 2 sitting here in my living room. I've played both now quite a bit on a 42" Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD. In terms of graphics, GT5:Prologue, in almost every way, beats Forza 2 in the graphics department. I had to play each quite a bit to appreciate how much better *most* of the graphics are in GT5:P. That said, Forza's physics models for car handling, braking, drift, understeer, oversteer, FWD, AWD, body roll, nosedive, etc., are better than GT5:P. Period. This isn't fanboy rant as I frankly don't give a flying flip either way -- credit goes where credit is due. Forza has crash damage and yes, it isn't real-world, but ANY crash damage is better than NONE and it is pretty cool. I realize GT5 full is supposed to have crash damage and additional improvements in overall physics. But it isn't here yet... All I have to compare TODAY is Forza 2 and GT5. If I could have the best of both worlds, I'd take the graphics engine on GT5 and the physics model of Forza.

Forza 3 better bring it strong (graphically). 1080P 60fps is the standard now.

You can't just say, "Period" and expect us all to go with what you say, its your opinion and has no basis for fact. Here is a thread where the poster says GT5 is better in braking and body roll, they even have videos. http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101628 The user has played Forza2 for over 200hours. I can also find countless other articles and posts with data and videos to match this statement.

And you give us a link to a forum post from www.gtplanet.net as a proof? Why not from www.sonydefenseforce.com. Hahahaha.

Gimme something from Gamepost, Eurogamer, IGN - NOT gtplanet !!!

I heard this game will now be bundled with Duke Nukem Forever....

twesterm said:
NJ5 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

Hey when it takes one guy 6 months to make a car, this stuff happens. I'm tellin you, this WILL be the most expensive game of this generation. (Production costs wise. What with each car = 6 months worth of pay.)

Still, maybe they'll make it out in 09 anyway.

I wouldn't say a car takes six actual months to take, only six man months.  I doubt only one person makes each car but rather several people with total man hours that add up to six months. 

That distinction is irrelevant in terms of development cost. If this game has 900 cars, 900 artists would have to work for 6 months to build those cars (although some cars are probably just modifications of others). 450 artists would work for a year, or 225 artists for two years... This kind of numbers is pretty eye-opening when you think about it.

@dbot: Agreed, if that's indeed how it works out.

The mythical man month doesn't really work like that because of dependencies.  The easiest way to think of that is that one woman can have a baby in 9 months so can two women have a baby in 4.5 months?  With this, two artists don't have the time exactly (though it does get reduced unlike the baby example).

I also wouldn't be surprised if that six months number was an exaggeration. 

And one last thing-- 900 cars is a little excessive.  Sure, it's a great bragging point but how many users are actually going to see all 900?  This is a perfect example of a studio just shooting themselves in the foot because while a lot of people will buy the game, not a lot will see the majority of the content.

Remember, those car numbers are exaggerated, too... Probably about 30 of those cars will be Honda Civics in various makes and years. Many of those will be able to use the same (or slightly tweaked) game models, cutting way down on development time. That applies to several of the more popular car makes and models. GT is notorious for slapping in 10 models of little differentiating performance or style.

Personally, I would rather see Polyphony get off their asses, stop ballooning the car count with useless pieces of shit no one wants to drive, and go after some of the marques that matter like Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, etc. Forza actually has a more impressive list of marques than Gran Turismo. Given the popularity of the series, there is absolutely no excuse for that.

I mean, it's fun and all whipping an 84 Honda Civic through an endurance race for three hours, but wouldn't you rather be tweaking a Carrera for use in Nurburgring?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Neos said:

Sony domination starts in 2008 2009 2010!!

Still might be 2009 Sony still have Final Fantasy 13 exclusivity, oh wait they dont.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

rocketpig said:
twesterm said:
NJ5 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:

Hey when it takes one guy 6 months to make a car, this stuff happens. I'm tellin you, this WILL be the most expensive game of this generation. (Production costs wise. What with each car = 6 months worth of pay.)

Still, maybe they'll make it out in 09 anyway.

I wouldn't say a car takes six actual months to take, only six man months. I doubt only one person makes each car but rather several people with total man hours that add up to six months.

That distinction is irrelevant in terms of development cost. If this game has 900 cars, 900 artists would have to work for 6 months to build those cars (although some cars are probably just modifications of others). 450 artists would work for a year, or 225 artists for two years... This kind of numbers is pretty eye-opening when you think about it.

@dbot: Agreed, if that's indeed how it works out.

The mythical man month doesn't really work like that because of dependencies. The easiest way to think of that is that one woman can have a baby in 9 months so can two women have a baby in 4.5 months? With this, two artists don't have the time exactly (though it does get reduced unlike the baby example).

I also wouldn't be surprised if that six months number was an exaggeration.

And one last thing-- 900 cars is a little excessive. Sure, it's a great bragging point but how many users are actually going to see all 900? This is a perfect example of a studio just shooting themselves in the foot because while a lot of people will buy the game, not a lot will see the majority of the content.

Remember, those car numbers are exaggerated, too... Probably about 30 of those cars will be Honda Civics in various makes and years. Many of those will be able to use the same (or slightly tweaked) game models, cutting way down on development time. That applies to several of the more popular car makes and models. GT is notorious for slapping in 10 models of little differentiating performance or style.

Personally, I would rather see Polyphony get off their asses, stop ballooning the car count with useless pieces of shit no one wants to drive, and go after some of the marques that matter like Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, etc. Forza actually has a more impressive list of marques than Gran Turismo. Given the popularity of the series, there is absolutely no excuse for that.

I mean, it's fun and all whipping an 84 Honda Civic through an endurance race for three hours, but wouldn't you rather be tweaking a Carrera for use in Nurburgring?

honestly racing crappy cars is the main reason i may get it.

rocketpig said:

Apparently you never really played GT. There was never 10s of Civics. Around 3 or so I would say with the Type-R and stuff.

And FYI, GT5 has Ferrari and GT3/4 have RUF.

If you just want to drive expensive cars and mod the hell out of it with the HP boosting bumper stickers, why not just get NFS?

by then people would have got board of this game really man i mean come on this is just stupid now, i aint even going to bother buying this game no more then just to teach them a lessin

kanariya said:
rocketpig said:

Apparently you never really played GT. There was never 10s of Civics. Around 3 or so I would say with the Type-R and stuff.

And FYI, GT5 has Ferrari and GT3/4 have RUF.

If you just want to drive expensive cars and mod the hell out of it with the HP boosting bumper stickers, why not just get NFS?

I know GT is missing a few marques that Forza carries... And RUF is not the same as Porsche. They're missing several models IIRC. In any case, there is no excuse for GT not to carry every marque that Forza has... It's a way bigger franchise.

Bolded:

Because I don't want to play an arcade racer. Duh. I don't want to play a sim where I spend the first five hours of the game driving a shittier car than I own in real life and the next 10 hours driving shittier cars than I've driven extensively in the past. It's a videogame. I want to drive supercars that I have never driven in real life.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/