By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - VGChartz Members Failure rates.

Counting those that kept their console for 6-8 months and no breaking (Hey, some other people ringed before then, so why not) We're at 13/31.

Presuming I didn't count someone twice accidentally. (llewedekdram counted as a no crash, since his family has two xboxes, still going personal.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

I had my first X360 die on me in March, around Mar 21st of this year. It was a launch X360, and had over 2000+hrs of gametime on it. I believe only my SNES had more timed logged on it.

I've had other systems die on me (N64 and a PS1), so its not a big deal. I expected my 360 to die between all the problems people had and the fact that I logged sooo many hours on mine. Check my gamerscore profile. I HAVE played a ton of games, and it's undeniable that it withstood alot of intense gaming.

Your better bet is to ask these people for their legit gamercard tags and verify them before you randomly post the numbers. Last time someone did this on another (bigger) website, there were tons of falsified tags and issues with it.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Andrew said:
DoesWhatNintenDont said:
Andrew said:
OriGin said:
Words

Words

Words

Look at it this way. If 1 in 10 break what is the chance that you will get 3 of them that do so? 1 in 1000. Many of them can overheat by stuff you don't expect them too. Leaving them on top of the t.v. can fry them. Now I won't argue that Xbox 360's breaking down is the owners fault, but if you have that many break down and they all break in the same space well then it means that it is probably your fault.

And to Origin: Thanks for calling me a idiot, you made my day.

Ah, so space must be my culprit...oh, wait.

As you can see I own a lot of electronics, It's kind of a hobby. I know how to take care of them. That PS2 is a launch console(but has since been replaced with a PS3). Maybe you should stop trying to make excuses for MS's shotty craftsmanship.

EDIT - I'll do you one better. Here is a picture of my gamertag.

Mrstick: This still isn't quite as serious, and I actually wasn't expecting more than 30 responses (Yours makes 32). Also, unless Microsoft has an online search function, I personally have no way of verifying that the gamertag exists.

But let's be fair, those who are known to dislike the failure rates of the 360 or mock it have not posted a failure. Only 1 person has a new account posting here. So either there are liars that other people havn't noticed (Which sucks, as covered by my first post) and I have no reason other than it's the internet to suspect them. Feel free to apply any margin of error.

14/32.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Andrew said:
DoesWhatNintenDont said:
Andrew said:
OriGin said:
Words

Words

Words

Look at it this way. If 1 in 10 break what is the chance that you will get 3 of them that do so? 1 in 1000. Many of them can overheat by stuff you don't expect them too. Leaving them on top of the t.v. can fry them. Now I won't argue that Xbox 360's breaking down is the owners fault, but if you have that many break down and they all break in the same space well then it means that it is probably your fault.

And to Origin: Thanks for calling me a idiot, you made my day.

So, since 1 out of every 1,000 360 owners gets three broken consoles in a row, there must be 10,000 xbox360 owners who have had three consecutive broken consoles. So yeah, it is quite possible that this person happens to be one of the 10,000 owners who have had to return their broken 360 three times.... And that is only by your conservative (1/10) estimate of broken consoles. Nobody really knows what it is. It might be 1%, it might be 20%....

And, by your estimates, there are 1,000 owners out there who have had to return their 360 four times, and 100 that have had to return their 360 five times, 10 that returned six times, and there is one unlucky soul who has had SEVEN broken consoles, by your estimates.

Around the Network

It's not the full red ring you have to worry about, it's the three lights.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

"Out of the 12 Xbox 360s I own as part of my business, 9 have failed."

From a media reports:

"... the problem isn’t just with launch units. Of the 8 I’ve had so far, only 2 were manufactured in the first three months of launch. The last one I had red-ring on me was manufactured in November of ‘06 - a full year after launch."

8 console fails within a year is simply amazing, if you deduct the time the console couldn't be used at all even more so. IMO on average an expensive console like this should last at least 5 years on average.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

When you have that many breaking down its the persons fault not the manufactorer

It's easy to blame victims, but even EA broke a massive amount of XBox 360s, between 30-50%, tenfold at the time Microsoft claimed failure rates to be between 3-5% a long time ago. They have hundreds of units, so not a bad indication.

I believe when games start to push the 360 harder, the GPUs will get hotter and thus more people may experience failures. The solder melds and motherboard flexes causing disconnect, refurbs will probably be less reliable as the solder after heating will be more prone to repeat failings. IMO Microsoft should provide consumers with a more sturdy product and not replace broken units with refurbs, but with a brand new sturdy product. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB - as far as I understand, your explanation has been the "consumer accepted" reasoning behind the X360 failure rates - atleast the primary cause. The solder is crap. Honestly, I wonder if MS would sue or take issue up with the manufactuer about those issues, as it's not really a design flaw (unless the engineers somehow didn't allow enough room for enough solder).

www.mygamercard.net has instant access to every tag, provided you input it into thier system. You can verify every tag that's ever been online.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

goodridd said:
Andrew said:
DoesWhatNintenDont said:
Andrew said:
OriGin said:

Ah, so space must be my culprit...oh, wait.

As you can see I own a lot of electronics, It's kind of a hobby. I know how to take care of them. That PS2 is a launch console(but has since been replaced with a PS3). Maybe you should stop trying to make excuses for MS's shotty craftsmanship.

EDIT - I'll do you one better. Here is a picture of my gamertag.

Nice setup I need a new tv soon...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!