By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I the only one underwhelmed by GH3 Aerosmith Wii sales ?

That many sales??? Surely there can't be that many Aerosmith fans?????

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

If you had been following the trend of Wii sales for SW you would have expected the 360 to beat it day one.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Aerosmith is a good band but not good enough to buy a game devoted to it. I would get sick of playing it real fast.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Ail said:

Do I need to point out that the install base now is nowhere the same as it was when GH3 came out ?

What's illogical about pointing out that a platform with a bigger install base and 4x bigger weekly hardware sales sold 30% less software on the first week of the biggest crossplatform title so far this gen ? ( GH3 wasn't released on all platforms at the same date).

The PS2 version of Guitar Hero Aerosmith only sold 120k copies on a 48m install base. Massive failure for the Playstation 2! It was outsold by the 360 version with less than 1/4 the install base! Anything less than 1m sales week one = epic fail.

....yeah. Notice how stupid that sounded? Arguing that multiplatform sales should align with install base 1:1 is just silly. It's not like every PS2 game outsold every XBox and Gamecube game by a factor of five last generation (as install base would have suggested). Besides, you completely missed the entire point: that Wii sales aren't as frontloaded as 360 sales. The whole response I quoted is a non sequitor.

Also, your last point is simply wrong. Guitar Hero 3 released on all platforms on the same date. I linked to the very chart showing this! Here it is again, since I guess you weren't able to click on it the first time: http://vgchartz.com/aweekly.php?date=39390&console=&maker=&boxartz=1)

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

You guys are really expecting GH3 Aerosmith to have that good legs on the Wii 3 months away from GH4 release ?

I would have expected such a game to be quite front loaded even on the more casual Wii.

For all those getting their panties in a twist over the tie-ratio. Where in this thread did I mention tie-ratio ?

I just said I was expecting bigger absolutes sales on the platform with the biggest installed base. ( and especially the platform with the biggest weekly hardware sales, new users tend to pick up more software than old time users and a decent percentage of the Wii owners in NA got theirs in the last 6 months).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

NPD Top 20 for June has the Wii version of the game being the highest seller (which is what I thought as it was always above the other versions on Amazon).

The NPD chart has Wii Aerosmith at 14, 360 Aerosmith at 16 and PS2 Aerosmith at 17 in the charts...so very different from VG Chartz.

@Bluevala: Don't own the OP so hard, it hurts.

OT: The PS2 one was a massive failure then like Sulla pointed out, on a 48M install base it sold 120k copies. OMG MEGA BOMB!!!

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Well for some reason NA software sales still haven't been updated past launch week for GH:A but if NPD is to be believed the Wii beat out other SKUs. Interesting...

I can't even remember if we ever had a game sell less on the PS2 than on the Xbox or the GC from the time the PS2 started to dominate the market...

Well to be fair, this game isn't in Japan so if you take out the Japanese userbases then the Wii is up on the 360 22-19.  Still winning but hardly "PS2 domination". 

This might explain the unwillingness of some developers to invest into development of high budget Wii titles.

Analysis of a single week of SW sales on a casual title FTW!

the last two times there's been a multi plat release the wii has beaten the 360 and the ps3 (indiana jones lego and alone in the dark i believe please correct me if i'm wrong) and it's done it again with gh:a if npd data is to be believed.

nintendo and sega fan since i was old enough to hold a game controller.

note: my games collection on my profile is only 20ish% complete, i've got a boatload of 360,saturn and dreamcast games to add and a few ps3 games, thanks :)

Cherry picking failure of the 10th degree.